Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune RMM Issues

I installed a roll restrictor last week. Ever since then my car has been making weird noises whenever i go over bumps or start from a stop in 1st. also sometimes just idling after turning it on something sounds like it's grinding. Usually when starting from a stop it'll just make like a metal bending nosie or sound like a bolt is moving around. i thought it was the downpipe mount but i tightened that some more. Mountune said it might be the polyurethane making noise but it doesn't really sound like it. Sounds more metallic. Anybody experienced this and what did you do to fix it? They said some people report this.

Also you can literally see the steering wheel moving around when the car is idling and the NVH has improved at least 2x. is that normal?

nbhill

I installed a roll restrictor last week. Ever since then my car has been making weird noises whenever i go over bumps or start from a stop in 1st. also sometimes just idling after turning it on something sounds like it's grinding. Usually when starting from a stop it'll just make like a metal bending nosie or sound like a bolt is moving around. i thought it was the downpipe mount but i tightened that some more. Mountune said it might be the polyurethane making noise but it doesn't really sound like it. Sounds more metallic. Anybody experienced this and what did you do to fix it? They said some people report this.

Also you can literally see the steering wheel moving around when the car is idling and the NVH has improved at least 2x. is that normal?
That doesn't sound too good. Hopefully, nothing that can't be remedied. Sorry I can't offer any advice, as I'm new to modifications. I just bought that same mount and should have it Friday. Planning on installing myself. Hopefully, with positive results.

MS67

Something isn't right. Mine doesn't vibrate or make any noises at all. What did you torque the bolts to (ft-lbs)? Have you tried loosening and re-torquing and/or inspecting the RMM since you installed it?

Chris G

Agree with [MENTION=4398]MS67[/MENTION]. My Mountune mount doesn't do any of that either. Do you have pics of it installed? Did you mount the washers correctly and torque everything down in order per the install guide?

OP
SloCal
Thread Starter #5
Agree with [MENTION=4398]MS67[/MENTION]. My Mountune mount doesn't do any of that either. Do you have pics of it installed? Did you mount the washers correctly and torque everything down in order per the install guide?
Just re-torqued it last night. 52 lb ft. called them and they said it's probably polyurethane making noise. told me to lube it. i don't have lube and not buying any. not uninstalling again.

Just re-torqued it last night. 52 lb ft. called them and they said it's probably polyurethane making noise. told me to lube it. i don't have lube and not buying any. not uninstalling again.

Annoying af
Hmm. Good luck I guess?

grnmachine02

So you don't want it fixed, then? Just spray it with some PB blaster or wd40 and see if the noise goes away. That will at least tell you if it's the bushing. Also, poly bushings don't grind,they squeak. The worlds most annoying squeak at that.

OP
SloCal
Thread Starter #9
They told me some more specific grease. white lithium spray. i can spray with pb blaster but at idle its not creaking it's just like the whole engine is vibrating one bolt or something which makes me think it's something more. Also on startup after it turns over and makes a clanging noise. No one else has experienced this?

grnmachine02

Here's the issue with that. Poly is a unforgiving cruel bitch. Once it begins to squeak, no amount of lube will make it stop squeaking. At least not permanently.

Stupid question, are you sure it's not just increased vibration from the stiffer mount? I can't think of anything that would make a 'clang' sound, unless it was metal on metal.

Anyway you could take some pictures of the mount as it sits?

OP
SloCal
Thread Starter #11
Here's the issue with that. Poly is a unforgiving cruel bitch. Once it begins to squeak, no amount of lube will make it stop squeaking. At least not permanently.

Stupid question, are you sure it's not just increased vibration from the stiffer mount? I can't think of anything that would make a 'clang' sound, unless it was metal on metal.

Anyway you could take some pictures of the mount as it sits?

I can take some picures when I get under there again tonight or tomorrow. everything is as the instructions lay it out.

I'm installing this RMM soon, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to apply some white lithium grease just in case? Also, what spots on the RMM would the grease need to be applied?