Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1/4 Mile event - need some tips

Hi Guys, hopefully some of the more experienced 1/4 mile racers out there can give me some tips. I am attending a 1/4 event and just need to know what is the best way to launch the Fiesta. It will be an unprepped track. My best time was with ESC completely off, but I still have a heavy right foot and probably loose 1/2 seconds just spinning at the lights.

To what pressure do youy deflate the fromn tyres (We will all be racing in street guise, no slicks or semi's allowed)

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

I would lower the air in the front tires to 22-24psi, for a burnout put it in 2nd gear, side step the clutch left foot brake and clean the tires good for 3-5secs. I would try whatever is working that day for launch rpms, since each track is different but I'd start around 2000-2500rpms. Ideally you want just a small amount of initial tire spin and then hook up and go, that little spin keeps things from breaking in your driveline. I'd flat shift each gear around 5500 as by that point our cars stock are starting to run out of tq&hp.
For other easy tricks make sure you stay in the groove when launching its the really dark sticky part of the track, go on 1/4 or less tank of fuel, remove the spare/Jack. Don't get nervous just focus on your driving and if you get some good runs in exactly what you did to get those runs driver wise. Good luck man[raceflag]

I would lower the air in the front tires to 22-24psi, for a burnout put it in 2nd gear, side step the clutch left foot brake and clean the tires good for 3-5secs. I would try whatever is working that day for launch rpms, since each track is different but I'd start around 2000-2500rpms. Ideally you want just a small amount of initial tire spin and then hook up and go, that little spin keeps things from breaking in your driveline. I'd flat shift each gear around 5500 as by that point our cars stock are starting to run out of tq&hp.
For other easy tricks make sure you stay in the groove when launching its the really dark sticky part of the track, go on 1/4 or less tank of fuel, remove the spare/Jack. Don't get nervous just focus on your driving and if you get some good runs in exactly what you did to get those runs driver wise. Good luck man[raceflag]

^THIS is great advice for you to learn from, you will have to tailor it to your skills and the track condition. on the burnout just roll thru the water box stop a few feet in front lock the E-brake and do a 2nd gear burnout at 4500-5000 rpm for about 2 seconds release e-brake flat foot throttle let the car roll out until the tires start to hook up in about 5-7 feet then clutch in roll forward and stage the car.

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
I get all that, thanks. My problem is tha actual launch off the line when the tree goes green. I still launch like I did with my N/A Fiesta ST MK6. I need to teach myself not to use such a heavy right foot. Guess practise , practise and more practise.

Thanks Guys

Yes unless you have sticky tires on the car launch it soft and then roll on the throttle other wise it will just blow the tires off the car and the run is wasted. Launch at 1500-2000 side step clutch wait till the tires grab and with a smooth steady motion smack the fun peddle down and hope it hooks.

OP
D
Thread Starter #6
That is indeed what I am going to try. Havent been on the track for a while, and "tree fever" is a funny thing.

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
Especiall yif the guys next to you is struggling to stage, Forwards, backwards, forwards, backwards...are we there yet????

Especiall yif the guys next to you is struggling to stage, Forwards, backwards, forwards, backwards...are we there yet????
This has happened to me before and I lost the race because I could see the lights turn green from the tears in my eyes from laughing my ass off at the poor guy. Literally took him 4 try's to get staged and when he finally did it was with the back tires and the track guy shook his head shrugged his shoulders and I saw his lips say F-it and turned the lights on.

My experience in drag racing on street tires has proven that lowering the pressure doesn't help. That works with soft sidewall or wrinkle wall drag tires. Overinflate the rear tires to help reduce rolling resistance. Take out the jack and spare. Make sure your windows are rolled up. Do not run your a/c while pulling up though the lanes or while on the track. Turn off ESC as you're pulling up to the staging lights. As you ease forward, you want to barely turn on the 2nd stage light then wait if the other guy hasn't staged. I always went when the last yellow illuminates. You're staging deep this way and that usually gets me a good reaction time as well. It also leaves a little room for your nerves in case you go a little too quickly so there's less chance of red lighting. Hopefully these cars don't roll so you don't have to hold up the parking brake (I always had to with my 6 speed F-bodys and that sucked). I personally have done pretty good with FWD's taking off at lower rpms, try 3000 or so and it's ok if you bog some. High torque, light FWD's tend to really wheelhop and spin anyway. I don't know where to say to shift since I haven't run mine yet, but I'd start around 6000 in first and see where the power falls off each shift after and shift then. I always lift off the throttle and shift super quick then back to WOT. I ran a 15.20 in my bone stock 02 Spec V when the magazines said 15.4 was it. I think that was my first ever FWD drag racing experience and I got two passes in before it rained like a freak. Got 15.10's out of a friend's 05 Mazda6 V6 5 speed with just an Injen intake. Oh, and drive around the water. Street tires do not benefit from a burnout, if anything they get worse from it. I raced my F-bodys and Mustangs from 95-09 on street tires and managed 1.9-2.0 60 ft times on most of them easing out or bogging some.

Oh, and don't go when it's 90 degrees or hotter. It kills performance, the track gets greasy, and you sweat your gonads off.