Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My Sick HID retrofit

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I sent a set of OEM headlights to SickHID.com for them to retrofit a set of High Intensity Discharge projector lamps for my FiST. These lights are HUGH, and cost much more to ship than the Mustang lights SickHIDs did for me a few years ago. I wanted to get as close in appearance to the Concept FiST lights as possible. Why our cars don't come with real HIDs is beyond me. I looked at the Euro headlamps, and didn't like all of that chrome either, so I decided to do something different. Here is a pic of the FiST concept headlights.

These concepts have two HIDs in each headlight, so super expensive. I decided to only install one set of HIDs and control the eyebrows for the HIDS (the thing that gives you high beams) with the wiring inside of the headlight. So when you hit your highbeams, the eyebrow lifts on the HID projector, and you have highbeams. Here are some pics of the build from Brian of SickHIDs.

These are the shrouds I decided to go with.

Next we blackout some of the chrome, and put everything together. Once I get the lights back, I'll do a how-to install.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
It cost me $780.00 for the retrofit. I got the OEMs for $250.00 for both (thanks bluebomber). The Euros are about as much, and don't appear to be as powerful as Morimotos, from what I've seen

razorlab

1000 Post Club
It cost me $780.00 for the retrofit. I got the OEMs for $250.00 for both (thanks bluebomber). The Euros are about as much, and don't appear to be as powerful as Morimotos, from what I've seen
OEM Euro FiST headlights are not HIDs, they are projector halogen.

Finally someone biting the bullet and taking the plunge to retrofit something good! Keep us posted as I am looking to do something similar.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
OEM Euro FiST headlights are not HIDs, they are projector halogen.
I was trying to be nice to the Euro retrofit guys, but yes, they are plug and play halogens. Mine will be HID projectors. Problem with my way (if your FiST is your daily driver) is you need to buy a set of headlights from either ebay, or one of the Fist owners that no longer need their OEM headlights because they bought euro headlights.

Don't mean steal your thunder but I too got my lights retrofitted to look like the concept headlights just like you. It's funny I saw this post today because I JUST got my lights back and put them back on my car this morning. I initially wanted to do the quad projectors just like the concept, but just like you opted for single projectors. Sorry about the crappy pictures, I know its hard to see with all the glare but I was in a rush. http://imgur.com/a/astKI

I had to use the gatling shrouds which is not my first choice, but they were the only ones that would fit. Some issues with the fitment of the lights back onto the car but other than that, I like the new look. Just waiting for it to get dark now so I can test them out lol.

Would love to compare our retrofits. What kind of shroud and projectors did you get?

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Looks good. Congrats on your retrofit. We are playing around with different shrouds and projectors. I'll let you know what we end up with.

This is cool stuff imo a sick set of projector or hid headlights is a big part of what our little pocket rockets are missing stock.
Hard to believe an eBay company hasn't made a set seeing as how they are compatible with the base fiesta as well as fists. Or a company like raxiom hasn't stepped up and produced some.

me32

1000 Post Club
Any pics installed on your car? Also how much added power do they draw over the stock ones.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am looking into a DIY version but have not decided to really bite the bullet and get Hella or a less expensive brand of HIDs for it.

I love the results, looks at least, performance is far more important to me than looks but may as well have that too when you can:)

Since I do not use high beams all that much I wonder if just projectors with some good bulbs would be a good way to go and HID on low beams and have them stay on when the high beams are on.....

Any recommendations on OEM headlights I can gut out for parts that I can find at a wrecking yard or on ebay, etc....?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just found Hella 60 mm high or low beams for $50 each. The 90mm Hi/low HID was $480 each, ouch!

I have swapped stock headlights for factory projectors withe really good aftermarket bulbs and found I had all the lighting I needed without having HID.

I have had HID as in my prior Vette and another car and projector with great none HID bulbs and frankly can see just fine without HID and I am 62 so my site is not as good at night as when young but I had incredible night vision back then.

I just might do a Hella hi and a low beam quad projector setup.

I have already opened up lights to paint them with complete success and been modding cars since I started at 8 years old on models, then slot car then real cars and trucks so I can probably do this after decades of mods:)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Idea:
Hella high and low projectors, really good turn/park LEDs, light tint amber side marker, black out the rest of the headlight inside.....

Then light tint tail lights but install really bright LEDs in all locations including back up lights with super bright focused lenses.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Sounds like great ideas Raamaudio.

As you know, space is at a premium in these headlights in the low beams. But there is plenty room under the headlights for ballasts. That is why I decided to buy rather than DIY, since SickHIDS has several different projectors and shrouds to choose from. I plan on using switchback turn signals and ditching the amber covers over the turn signals. We'll probably stick with the Morimoto minis and the shrouds shown in the last pic of my original post. I wanted perf blue, but it does not come in ceramic paint. Maybe I'll see what colors I can find in ceramic paint. Maybe a custom blend. If not, we'll black out the acres of chrome in these headlights.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am still looking at options, going to do this right if I do it at all and likely doing something once I drive the car at night and see just what the stock lights look like with upgraded bulbs.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Here is What Brian of Sick HIDS is using for my retrofit. I have gone with custom shrouds. We decided to paint the reflector surfaces performance blue and the shroud black. The turn signal reflector will remain chrome. Everything will be primered with ceramic primer, the perf blue will be covered with ceramic clearcoat.

*Currently using 2.5" MX-H1R Bi-Xenon Projectors (factory produced "miniature" version of the FX-R, now available in a 1.75" "micro" version as well) with advanced oval reflector (specifically designed for HID), arched/laser cut cutoff shields (for a perfectly straight/clean cutoff line), precision HD solenoid motors & steep radius crystal clear lenses. *Best performing "Bi-Xenon" (Hi/Lo) Projectors (smaller than 3") by far =)

*Shrouds are specialty designs, manufactured in USA (some are common styles & some are more rare)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Sounds dang fine!

Cost????

I might end up just going a similar route if somebody buys my Studevette project or forged LS1 soon.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Heres my costs:

> 55 Watt HID (5000k) / Bi-Xenon Projector Retro-Fit = $399
> SMT Audi Style LEDs (super white/across bottom) = $100
> Switch-Back park/signals = $100
> Blackout (everything) = $100
> Shipping = $40

> Total = $739

As I said previously, paint options have changed. But price is still the same.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
This will probably be at the bottom of my to do list because of the cost. But it's going to look so good, can't wait to see the final results.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Very tempting and I agree, need to see the final results which to me is absolutely great lighting over everything else.