Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Exhaust ??????

Does anyone here have the MRT Rally Sport Exhaust ? I am torn between that and the MBRP Performance Exhaust. I have heard the MBRP exhaust and really like it, but I would like something louder. I have listened to the video for the MRT, but I would like the opinion of someone who has heard it in person.

Thanks in advance for all the help and comments.

I haven't heard the mrt exhaust in person, but I can say they the mbrp can be very loud depending on how you drive and be quite as well. I personally wouldn't want it any louder then what it is. My. 02 though

Pretty sure the MRT is just a 2.5" straight pipe system. I had a 2.5" custom straight pipe system for a couple weeks, sounds nice, definitely loud, but definitely drones and it sounds like a diesel truck on a cold start.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I bet the MBRP with a catless downpipe would be loud.

There is a video up on YouTube with the set up already. Sounds the same low in the rpm's and a little louder up high.

iso100

1000 Post Club
You should hear the MBRP exhaust in a parking garage with the windows down. It's LOUD!

iso100

1000 Post Club
Heck. If you just want loud go to Mandrel Bending Solutions in Glen Burnie and do a 3" straight pipe.

OP
W
Thread Starter #9
I have thought about that. my last car basically just had a straight pipe (abarth), but since it came from the factory like that I didn't have to worry about getting hassled about it. I like your exhaust ISO100. It sounds good, but you have a lot of other things done to your car that help it sound like that. Time to cough up some money.....lol

iso100

1000 Post Club
Actually the exhaust is pretty much all you heard. The intake just makes the pssssh noise off throttle. There's far more noise coming from the exhaust than anything else.

id recommend the fswerks cat back 2.5 system paired with either the cp-e catless dp or the atp catless downpipe. good throaty noise during normal driving. but loud and raspy under load. and can def hear the turbo. that's my ideal combination which im sure many others prefer a different setup. but this is def a solid good sounding and performance enhancing setup.!!!
link below for details on cp-e downpipe:
http://cp-e.com/webstore/product/ford-fiesta-st-qkspl-downpipe/
link below for fswerks exhaust:
http://www.fswerks.com/collections/...ealth-exhaust-system-ford-fiesta-st-1-6l-2014

I am also torn between the MRT and the MBRP. However, from the research I've done you would theoretically lose horsepower (not torque) if you go with a 3 inch exhaust on our motor. There is not enough back pressure (unless MBRP uses a very restrictive resonator) to make up for the larger piping, the MRT 2.5 inch exhaust is truly the way to go for performance and high noise levels. I most likely will be getting that exhaust if and when I decide to pull the trigger after break in. In my open and humble opinion the MRT is wicked mean sounding, srt4/ms3 sounding, pops, crackles, burps when upshifting. I think it sounds like a little diesel truck exhaust. I like it.

LT Berzerker

I am also torn between the MRT and the MBRP. However, from the research I've done you would theoretically lose horsepower (not torque) if you go with a 3 inch exhaust on our motor. There is not enough back pressure (unless MBRP uses a very restrictive resonator) to make up for the larger piping, the MRT 2.5 inch exhaust is truly the way to go for performance and high noise levels. I most likely will be getting that exhaust if and when I decide to pull the trigger after break in. In my open and humble opinion the MRT is wicked mean sounding, srt4/ms3 sounding, pops, crackles, burps when upshifting. I think it sounds like a little diesel truck exhaust. I like it.
Huh? Far as I knew back pressure isn't an issue with turbochargers... You want none iirc.... Less pressure and good velocity (lowest possible turbulence in gas flow) is better to allow the turbo to spool quicker... Less I'm missing something.

N/A motors are a different animal though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

http://www.tercelreference.com/tercel_info/turbo_exhaust_theory/turbo_exhaust_theory.html

TheStig

Turbo process provides the back pressure a lot but an exhaust that's too open isn't going to help numbers much lol
Incorrect. If you just run a 3" dump exhaust off the turbo (for example) you will have the least backpressure and best performance. Backpressure works against the turbine wheel which is bad, you want exhaust to de-ass the area with-the-quickness.

LT Berzerker

Incorrect. If you just run a 3" dump exhaust off the turbo (for example) you will have the least backpressure and best performance. Backpressure works against the turbine wheel which is bad, you want exhaust to de-ass the area with-the-quickness.
This ^^

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Turbo process provides the back pressure a lot but an exhaust that's too open isn't going to help numbers much lol

Actually, you're both right-just in different applications. In any turbocharged application, short of one that has a CBE that is undersized, the turbo will always be the greatest source of backpressure. This is why we don't really see any gains with an aftermarket system. In this scenario, we assume that the final exit is located in the same place to safely expel gases beyond the passenger compartment.

In situations where you either don't care or need that safety (drag strip racing, manual/electric cutoff, etc.) or have a turbo located close enough to dump outside of the passenger compartment, then a short dump pipe will work better. This is mainly due to having a shorter length of tubing to have to move the air through-just like blowing water through a 3'straw as opposed to a 15' straw. The gain you would see would be less in overall hp/tq than it would be in faster spool to those numbers.

Obviously, on our OEM turbo's, the benefit would be moot. On an oversized turbo designed specifically for a racing application, it would be mandatory.

TheStig

Actually, you're both right-just in different applications. In any turbocharged application, short of one that has a CBE that is undersized, the turbo will always be the greatest source of backpressure. This is why we don't really see any gains with an aftermarket system. In this scenario, we assume that the final exit is located in the same place to safely expel gases beyond the passenger compartment.

In situations where you either don't care or need that safety (drag strip racing, manual/electric cutoff, etc.) or have a turbo located close enough to dump outside of the passenger compartment, then a short dump pipe will work better. This is mainly due to having a shorter length of tubing to have to move the air through-just like blowing water through a 3'straw as opposed to a 15' straw. The gain you would see would be less in overall hp/tq than it would be in faster spool to those numbers.

Obviously, on our OEM turbo's, the benefit would be moot. On an oversized turbo designed specifically for a racing application, it would be mandatory.
Correct just at the end of the day, least backpressure = best performance for turbo applications. Only NA requires back pressure created by the exhaust for scavenging among other reasons.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Correct just at the end of the day, least backpressure = best performance for turbo applications. Only NA requires back pressure created by the exhaust for scavenging among other reasons.
Mostly, though the way it is generally interpreted by the NA crowd and general population is generally incorrect. Back pressure, regarding the CBE, is an enemy. Some people think that there is an optimal size when there isn't-you can effectively go as large as possible that can physically fit. It's a situation of diminishing returns, whereas you will either spend too much money to justify it or it just won't fit if it's any larger, but you won't get so large that it actually 'hurts' performance-just like with a FI application. Primaries/secondaries (headers) are where sizes need to be optimized for power/flow, and anything beyond can only be too small.