Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shift Effort

So I've done about 1100 miles now, and that's about the time you start noticing things. I'm finding the shifter very notchy, and it seems to have quite a high resistance to get through the notch just before you reach the end of the travel to engage the gear. Also sometimes getting a small sort of squeaking? clicking? (hard to describe) noise from the shifter boot area, particularly from 2-3 and 4-5 shifts. I know shift feel varies a lot, and I like a positive feel to shifts, but this feels just a little to much. Comments?

Mine is still great at 1300 miles. It shouldn't take more effort and make noise. I would take it in.

OP
Olephart
Thread Starter #4
Yea, I had planned to take it in to the stealer for an oil change at 1500, and will get them to look at it then. Would guess that a lube under the boot would do it, but at this stage, I'll let them deal with it.

rexdriver85

I just hit 1700 miles and going into 1st while rolling very slow is a bit notchy. I have also noticed a very slight clunk when putting it into gear at a dead stop, you can actually feel it. Everything else is silky smooth, I can flick gears with a finger.

I have heard putting the car into 1st while rolling isn't the best over the years, but I've never had a problem arise from doing it.

I am at 850 miles and the only shift that isn't that smooth is first to second. It feels a little notchy to me. Every other gear is very smooth.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I switched transmission fluid at about 13K to Motul 300. I'm now at 20K. Best decision I ever made. This shifter is now the smoothest I've ever had. I have the mountune transmission shift lever and an extension shift lever, so that also helped.

rexdriver85

I switched transmission fluid at about 13K to Motul 300. I'm now at 20K. Best decision I ever made. This shifter is now the smoothest I've ever had. I have the mountune transmission shift lever and an extension shift lever, so that also helped.
Good to know. I'll put this on my list for when warranty is out. Thanks for the info.

So I've done about 1100 miles now, and that's about the time you start noticing things. I'm finding the shifter very notchy, and it seems to have quite a high resistance to get through the notch just before you reach the end of the travel to engage the gear. Also sometimes getting a small sort of squeaking? clicking? (hard to describe) noise from the shifter boot area, particularly from 2-3 and 4-5 shifts. I know shift feel varies a lot, and I like a positive feel to shifts, but this feels just a little to much. Comments?
I just hit 1700 miles and going into 1st while rolling very slow is a bit notchy. I have also noticed a very slight clunk when putting it into gear at a dead stop, you can actually feel it. Everything else is silky smooth, I can flick gears with a finger.

I have heard putting the car into 1st while rolling isn't the best over the years, but I've never had a problem arise from doing it.
I am at 850 miles and the only shift that isn't that smooth is first to second. It feels a little notchy to me. Every other gear is very smooth.
Hi guys,

If you decide to head to your dealer to smooth out your ride, please let me know. I can check into some additional assistance. :)

Meagan

Mine is all good at 1,800 miles. I had the FFill changed out with the OEM at 1,265, but had no issues before or improvements after.

OP
Olephart
Thread Starter #11
Just took it in, and got the proverbial "they all do that ,sir" from their "transmission expert". Maybe it is just me, coming out of driving my last car for so many years, but I don't think so. I probably need to drive another FiST.

Time to take it to another dealer. If they had to tell you their "transmission expert" looked at it, he's no expert. These things require very little shift effort. It almost shifts itself, all you have to do is get it moving in the right direction.

I finally got my Saturn back on the road in it's stock form and the shift effort in it was killing me compared to the FiST.

Boro

I wasn't sure where else to ask this, this thread seemed the most appropriate. My gears don't feel bad at all, occasionally it doesn't want to go into first unless I roll forward a tiny bit, or might click a bit when moving the shifter. But feels fine overall.
My question is, is it worth it to change my transmission fluid? I've heard mixed feelings, like don't touch it from New-150,000 miles, or do it every 50k miles, or do it after break in period, or if you wait too long new fluid can actually cause new problems, etc..
I would like to change mine from the break in fluid, even if it just means peace of mind. Dealership will want about $250 for this fluid change I believe I read on a fiesta forum; but if it's truly just as easy as let it drain, then snake a tube down through the engine bay and fill it with the same amount (or buy a pump), then I don't really want to take it to the dealer.
I was about to change my oil and rotate the tires, so I thought I could do this too while the car is up on stands. However if someone thinks this is just a waste of time/money and I should wait, then I will just do the oil and check other fluids this time.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I recommend doing it your self. Get a tube that fits inside your fill port. this is located on the front of the engine, near the air box. I use a pressurized system from Harbor Freight. This way I know exactly how much I'm adding. In my case, I had the slave cylinder replaced due to a squeaking clutch. They dropped the trans to do this and refilled with Ford trans fluid. I had Motul gear oil before, and I really notice the effort to shift is really increased with the Ford fluid vs the Motul fluid.

I'm at 37k and shifting is clunky as hell. Did a motul swap about 10k miles ago. Every gear is notchy. Almost feels like my shitty 97 corolla now. Any thoughts?

Boro

I'm at 37k and shifting is clunky as hell. Did a motul swap about 10k miles ago. Every gear is notchy. Almost feels like my shitty 97 corolla now. Any thoughts?
Did it start after you changed the fluid? That makes me want to leave mine alone..

Did it start after you changed the fluid? That makes me want to leave mine alone..
No. I changed the fluid at the same time I installed boomba's "ultimate shift kit". Short shift level, adapter, and aluminum bushings. The motul swap made things quieter for a while, maybe the fluid has worn out and could stand to be changed again. The stock fluid was thin as water. Changing gears is just way more noisy than I would like.

My question is, is it worth it to change my transmission fluid?
Answer: Changing fluids in a car is one of the ways to keep it running long and strong. If you're premature or ahead of the curve, it can't hurt the car. A little money up front often pays for itself in the long run.

I have a buddy who used to own a snow plow/landscape business and swore if you changed old transmission fluid in an old auto trans after the old fluid was in there forever you were asking for trouble since the new fluid would dislodge sludge and get crap stuck in valve bodies, etc. and the trans would slip, overheat and fail.
If he got an old truck (which he always did), he would only ever change 1/2 the fluid in the trans at a time and do it over a period of time to prevent this.

Our manuals wouldn't share that problem and I would think a good fluid flush and fill would be advantageous overall.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I wasn't sure where else to ask this, this thread seemed the most appropriate. My gears don't feel bad at all, occasionally it doesn't want to go into first unless I roll forward a tiny bit, or might click a bit when moving the shifter. But feels fine overall.
My question is, is it worth it to change my transmission fluid? I've heard mixed feelings, like don't touch it from New-150,000 miles, or do it every 50k miles, or do it after break in period, or if you wait too long new fluid can actually cause new problems, etc..
I would like to change mine from the break in fluid, even if it just means peace of mind. Dealership will want about $250 for this fluid change I believe I read on a fiesta forum; but if it's truly just as easy as let it drain, then snake a tube down through the engine bay and fill it with the same amount (or buy a pump), then I don't really want to take it to the dealer.
I was about to change my oil and rotate the tires, so I thought I could do this too while the car is up on stands. However if someone thinks this is just a waste of time/money and I should wait, then I will just do the oil and check other fluids this time.
I initially changed my transmission fluid at the 5,000 mile mark. I had it analyzed and it had VERY high metal content after break-in so I do recommend changing it initially to get the particulates out of the transmission. At that time, I refilled with Motorcraft full synthetic transmission fluid. No shifting issues ever. I just hit 28,000+ miles and switched over to Motul DCTF today. It really quieted and smoothed the shifting, noticeably. All gear noise seems to have been silenced.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Are these transmissions dual clutch? Why use the dual clutch fluid if it isnt? Just curious...