Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clunking sound in the rear

So I have kind of an odd issue since it seems like it doesn't always do it. At low speeds ( <15mph) while I'm coasting to a stop or doing light braking I'll hear a clunking that sounds rotational (slows down as I slow down and faster if I'm going faster). So my confusion is that it isn't every time and if i brake harder there is no noise. Also no vibration in the brake pedal or steering while stopping. I only noticed because I had the radio off the other day, but at normal volumes i would have never noticed.

Pads look fine, pulled both rear wheels off and torqued them back down, doublechecked my rear shocks were bolted tight and the bolts on my rear swaybar.

My rear brakes were really loud and making rotational/variable noises at low speed after the rough winter we had. Not sure I would describe is as clunking. I had the dealer clean and inspect them. That, combined with the warmer spring weather, seems to have eliminated the problem.

The rear end clunking I had at low speed was actually the rear seat mount. They removed and reinstalled the rear seat using a 'sound kit' on the rear seat bushing (I have no clue what that means, but it was on the receipt for warranty work). It fixed the issue.

OP
VAFiST
Thread Starter #3
I can try giving the rotors a cleaning and take a look at my seat mounts as well. It just seems odd to me for brakes to have any issues at all since I'm not even at 10k yet.

My brakes were extremely noisy this winter. And that was with 5000km on the car.

SFP

Same issue here with a regular Fiesta Sedan VAFiST. They did the same rear seat mount and additionally replaced it with a new spring. Issue fixed.

Looked to me like a beefier mount to me was all and was listed as a noise reduction kit or something like that. If need be ill track down the part numbers for ya.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Looked to me like a beefier mount to me was all and was listed as a noise reduction kit or something like that. If need be ill track down the part numbers for ya.
Might be worth to put the part number for anyone else who searches and finds this thread.

OP
VAFiST
Thread Starter #7
Same issue here with a regular Fiesta Sedan VAFiST. They did the same rear seat mount and additionally replaced it with a new spring. Issue fixed.

To echo CanadianGuy, If you could that would be awesome.

SFP

GF Shot me a pic of the invoice.

Parts replaced were:

C1BZ 5560 B - SPRING REAR
BV2Z 5586 A - ANTISQUEAK REAR SPRING TOP
BE8Z 5793 A - SEAT SPRING

So I have kind of an odd issue since it seems like it doesn't always do it. At low speeds ( <15mph) while I'm coasting to a stop or doing light braking I'll hear a clunking that sounds rotational (slows down as I slow down and faster if I'm going faster). So my confusion is that it isn't every time and if i brake harder there is no noise. Also no vibration in the brake pedal or steering while stopping. I only noticed because I had the radio off the other day, but at normal volumes i would have never noticed.

Pads look fine, pulled both rear wheels off and torqued them back down, doublechecked my rear shocks were bolted tight and the bolts on my rear swaybar.
Will you be heading to your dealer to have this checked out? Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll look into some additional assistance. :)

Meagan

OP
VAFiST
Thread Starter #11
Plan was to take a look at it myself over the weekend, hoping it's something I can correct or at least identify on my own vs paying the dealer to diagnose. However I will take you up on that Meagan, if I come up empty handed.

Plan was to take a look at it myself over the weekend, hoping it's something I can correct or at least identify on my own vs paying the dealer to diagnose. However I will take you up on that Meagan, if I come up empty handed.
Just let me know. :)

Meagan