Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ecoboost Mustang vs. WRX vs. FRS vs. FiST

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Jun 4, 2015 by EverydayDriver...

"Ford?s Ecoboost Mustang brings Turbo Charged 4 cylinders back to the Mustang lineup and offers a lot of performance for around $25,000. But, there are a lot of great performance cars available for similar money. So we brought along the Subaru WRX, the Scion FRS, and Ford?s own Fiesta ST to put our favorites against each other and see how the EcoBoost deals with the competition."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-4OIxm3XaE

[video=youtube;S-4OIxm3XaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-4OIxm3XaE[/video]

Everyday Driver: Ecoboost Mustang vs. FiST vs. FRS. vs. WRX

Interesting Comparison. Love the FiST's inclusion. Very positive comments for it.

"It was very hard for us to find a stock Fiesta ST for this test." - I find that to be a rather amusing statement. Also the comment about how no one would notice it unless they're an enthusiast, I find that to be very accurate.

I like how they tested a 38,000 dollar optioned out ecoboost mustang.... and then all the other cars were under 30k. The ST had base seats [screwy]. for 38k, you would not see me in a 4banger mustang lol!

Yeah when I had my car in to have the wheels and tires swapped at the dealer, I walked around and saw the EB Mustang and then the 37k price tag. I am fairly interested to see what happens with them though, I can imagine some folks building monsters out of them.

I have found it strange how Ford has been equipping the Ecoboost Mustangs delivered to the dealers with either nothing on them or fully loaded. There's no in between, and you can spec an Ecoboost Mustang on their site with the track pack for under $30k. More people (and tuners) would be willing to pay under $30k for a Mustang Ecoboost with the basics plus the track pack than fully loaded, and they also don't want the base, stripped down model. Tuners want the track pack sans all the unneeded stuff. Unless the customer is in their late 50's with all of the kids moved out of the house and they just want that Mustang they could never have before, nobody will pay $38k for an Ecoboost Mustang. They will just go to the 5.0.

Yes the prices in this review are all over the place, but this test is the group of cars I looked at before I bought the FiST. All different size cars with different outputs and all different in their own way, but the end game was the same. Which car is better to drive day after day, which car can support some utility, get the kids in and out of easily, and how easily can it go from traffic to fun and back to traffic without having to rev myself up for it? In the end the FiST won because it's the one most capable of everything I wanted out of this group.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I like how they tested a 38,000 dollar optioned out ecoboost mustang.... and then all the other cars were under 30k. The ST had base seats [screwy]. for 38k, you would not see me in a 4banger mustang lol!
Just want to point out the Mustang was a press car (ford provided for the review) the others were not hence the base FiST. Probably also was the only FiST without a tune. :)
---
I really think overall they were extremely fair. No one car taking it hands down all had a purpose and can be usable is its own right.

Chuckable

Watched this last night, and was pleased to see the grins induced by the FiST. Haven't watched these guys much before, but it's nice to see reviews which have more depth than "Wow, this car is great." They went into some of the subtleties of suspension tuning and power delivery, as well as made mention of the tuning potential of the FiST and Mustang. Worth watching [twothumb]

TheStig

They are right in many aspects, in a group of moderate "car" people. I mention I drive a Fiesta ST and most dont bat an eye, but usually a couple that do have to ask questions. It seems if you know the car, you either want it or want to know more about it.

Nobody hates it, that i have ever seen. There is just those who know of it and those who dont, even my former co-worker who is a Miata junkie loves my car. There is just something immensely special about it even compared to other cars you could consider special aswell.

Not to mention the cheap price for the returns you get.

Just got done watching this review. Great reviews of all the cars. I have driven all of them except the FRS. I have never been a fan of those. They are ALRIGHT. But I never wanted to go out of my way to drive one. I live 1 block from a ford dealer, so I test drove the eco boost a while ago just because my buddy told me how "bad ass" they were. I liked it. The power felt good, but I could never own one, for that price I would jump right into an STI. The WRX, I honestly ALMOST bought it over my fiesta. I test drove it first, but the guy salesmen did not take me serious enough to sell me the car, the payment was to high, and he thought I was just a kid. I am 25, but look about 18. So I walked out, went to the ford dealer, and test drove the Fiesta. Came back and the guy drew up the paper work, and I picked it up the next day. I fell in love with it right away! I wanted the WRX because of the all wheel drive, and living in MI the winters can really suck. But I must be honest, I could not be happier with the fiesta. I bought snow tires, so the winter is not bad for me. Now that it I have everything except an intercooler, it is just even more fun. Not the fastest car out there by all means, but if it feels so fast, and it surprises me every time I jump on the gas. I must admit If I had the choice between the 3 cars, I would choose my fiesta ST over them every single time.