Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fan

So now it's in the 90's here in sunny PA, I've noticed that my engine fan seems to be permanently on, even when I first start up if it's later on in the day and the outside temp has gone up. Also, the temp gauge is showing 4 bars instead of the 3 it showed when the outside was in the 80's and the fan only went on when I got enthusiastic. Never had a car before where the fan was always on, even in hot weather. Normal? Dealer?

Four bars on the water temperature "gauge" is normal operating temperature. I'm assuming you simply didn't notice this before when it was cooler out.

As for your fan running frequently; I'd call it normal for a relatively high strung and turbocharged small displacement four cylinder.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Cooling Fan Duty Cycle Table (Based on Engine Coolant Temp - ECT)

Fan Speed DC (ECT)

This is the base fan speed duty cycle table. Additional compensations can be applied to raise or lower these values.

Tuning Tips - The OEM values are meant for economy, bringing the DC in earlier will aid in consistent power delivery.
[HR][/HR]

Stock Fan Speed Duty Cycle (ECT)

Stock Fan Cooling Table.jpg

Cobb Stg3 Fan Speed Duty Cycle (ECT)

Cobb stg3 Fan cooling table.jpg

OP
Olephart
Thread Starter #4
BoostBumps, Thanks for that info. Neglected to say that I have no mods at all, so no way of knowing if the fan is running when I'm in motion - cannot hear it. But going by the first (stock) duty cycle chart you posted, the fact that I can hear it when I first start up for the day as I'm backing out of the garage, suggests to me something is up, even if it is 90 degrees outside.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Fan Speed Duty Cycle (A/C)

This is the base fan speed duty cycle table when A/C is in use. Additional compensations can be applied to raise or lower these values.

AC Fan Speed.jpg

OP
Olephart
Thread Starter #7
I had no idea about the A/C and fan link. However, I do not usually start the car with the A/C on, but cannot swear to it when I initially noticed the fan being on. So, last 2 days have started up with A/C definitely off. Both times starting up car in garage after being off overnight, fan did not come on immediately - outside temp around 80F. Both times starting up after car had sat in sun for around 6 hours at 90F+, fan came on. Even considering the oven effect under the hood, looking at the table above, still think it's coming on when it shouldn't. Not really worried by it, maybe mention it to the dealer next service. Carry on......

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I had no idea about the A/C and fan link. However, I do not usually start the car with the A/C on, but cannot swear to it when I initially noticed the fan being on. So, last 2 days have started up with A/C definitely off. Both times starting up car in garage after being off overnight, fan did not come on immediately - outside temp around 80F. Both times starting up after car had sat in sun for around 6 hours at 90F+, fan came on. Even considering the oven effect under the hood, looking at the table above, still think it's coming on when it shouldn't. Not really worried by it, maybe mention it to the dealer next service. Carry on......
With the A/C turned on the fan will always be running at the very least with a minimum fan speed or duty cycle of 30%....