Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

downpipe in cali. is it worth it?

so i have cobb stage 2 plus their catback and am looking to pull the trigger on their downpipe. my question is, are the gains worth the headache? the headache being having the dp installed and then removed when the car is due for smog. i would be having the dp installed/removed by a shop. any thoughts???

Pete

Once the heat shields are off it isn't that much of a pain. I have installed a few of them already and as long as you have a good lubricant taking the bolts off is pretty easy.

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
ive installed the cobb intercooler and intake but had the exhaust and rmm done at a shop. getting under the car is a challenge in my garage. the hot side charge pipe was a bit of a bear at the turbo

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I was told by Adam that a downpipe is pointless on our car. +1 horsepower on the dyno when paired with a catback. So I would so no.

I was told by Adam that a downpipe is pointless on our car. +1 horsepower on the dyno when paired with a catback. So I would so no.
I agree, If you are planning to stay stock turbo I would put the money into a tune instead of a downpipe. I felt like I gained some quicker spool and more torque with the downpipe but I think that
could have been had with a good tune. I suggest contacting Adam [MENTION=3805]Tune+[/MENTION] to discuss your goals with the car.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I agree, If you are planning to stay stock turbo I would put the money into a tune instead of a downpipe. I felt like I gained some quicker spool and more torque with the downpipe but I think that
could have been had with a good tune. I suggest contacting Adam [MENTION=3805]Tune+[/MENTION] to discuss your goals with the car.
Exactly. Adam can help you at. He showed me the dyno pull and everything. I'm not wasting 500 bucks on a downpipe unless I go bigger turbo. Adam suggested upgraded intercooler pipes. I choose handling parts first and have some pierce bars on order. Better way to spend the cash in my opinion.

koozy

3000 Post Club
so i have cobb stage 2 plus their catback and am looking to pull the trigger on their downpipe. my question is, are the gains worth the headache? the headache being having the dp installed and then removed when the car is due for smog. i would be having the dp installed/removed by a shop. any thoughts???
not much gains to be had with the stock turbo. I went ahead and got the down pipe early on because I wanted to crack the nuts and bolts loose and apply some anti seize and make it easier for when I swap out the turbo. Several have had issues with seized nuts only to break or strip them later, so I wanted to avoid the potential headache later.

If I still have the car, I plan on getting smogged with the Cobb Downpipe on. I think I can get it to pass emissions with some e85 and maybe a tune to go with it. The only thing is the visual, which I'll take my chances on.

not much gains to be had with the stock turbo. I went ahead and got the down pipe early on because I wanted to crack the nuts and bolts loose and apply some anti seize and make it easier for when I swap out the turbo. Several have had issues with seized nuts only to break or strip them later, so I wanted to avoid the potential headache later.

If I still have the car, I plan on getting smogged with the Cobb Downpipe on. I think I can get it to pass emissions with some e85 and maybe a tune to go with it. The only thing is the visual, which I'll take my chances on.
My plan is to slam my car enough so they cant see underneath the car =). Aren't we smog exempt for like 5 years after purchasing the car?

koozy

3000 Post Club
My plan is to slam my car enough so they cant see underneath the car =). Aren't we smog exempt for like 5 years after purchasing the car?
yes it's several years away, but then every 2yrs after that. Yeah, I've heard of guys slamming it, but also heard of mirrors or a lift to see what's underneath. I think it all comes down to the shop and tech. I'll take my chances. A year before I have to go I plan on going for a pre-check just to see if I can get it to pass with the downpipe and a little e85. If it passes, I'll be back the following year and taking my chances on the visual.

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
thanks for all the input. being that im in a shitty town that doesnt have any E fuel at all, i can only get 91, is a tune even worth it?

This is the first I have heard people say the DP is not worth it...

I was waiting for a Black Friday/Holiday sale to pull the trigger. I was expecting to feel some pretty good gains with catless DP and larger intercooler (w/COBB stage 3).

Ya'll are now saying the gains are barely noticeable?

-Pete

Not that it is barely noticeable going stage 3, it's just that you will get a much larger gain and drivability going with a custom tune over a downpipe and it's cheaper.
Definitely go with an intercooler though.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Turbos work due to the rapid expansion of the exhaust gases right after the turbo so a better DP is almost always a must have item but the tiny stock turbo probably negates most of the gains.

When I first got my car, before I went off the deep end...I was going to cut out parts of the stock DP and weld in bigger sections to help it flow better where it is very restrictive. You could have that done and the stock covers fit, maybe a bit of trimming, get some of the gains of a bigger DP and not get busted during inspections.

Do this with a Cyborg turbo and ported manifold, you would love the change it can make, ditch some of the instant spool and narrow power band for a much wider and more usable one and still look stock;)

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
This is the first I have heard people say the DP is not worth it...

I was waiting for a Black Friday/Holiday sale to pull the trigger. I was expecting to feel some pretty good gains with catless DP and larger intercooler (w/COBB stage 3).

Ya'll are now saying the gains are barely noticeable?

-Pete
Forget the stages. Per adam, he suggests intake, intercooler, exhaust, and tune. Do that and you'll be happy. He says intercooler pipes will be a better purchase than a downpipe on a stock turbo.

Forget the stages. Per adam, he suggests intake, intercooler, exhaust, and tune. Do that and you'll be happy. He says intercooler pipes will be a better purchase than a downpipe on a stock turbo.
Interesting. Definitely some good food for though, thanks. I am always trying to figure out where best to deploy my little green soldiers. If I can manage some good gains while not having to deal with frozen turbo bolts and an easy Smog pass I am all ears.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Interesting. Definitely some good food for though, thanks. I am always trying to figure out where best to deploy my little green soldiers. If I can manage some good gains while not having to deal with frozen turbo bolts and an easy Smog pass I am all ears.
Exactly. Just message adam and he can give you all the info. It's posted in a thread on here too just can't remember which one and where within it.

Like everyone said, the downpipe is not an ideal upgrade for the stock turbo. You will actually gain more power with the stock downpipe with a intake, intercooler, exhaust, and tune. Even if you are on 91 octane I can still extract a good amount of power out of it.

I did a lot of testing with my old company, you can see my testing here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...ct-(Tuning-Intake-Downpipe-Exhaust-Turbo-Kit)

If anybody has any questions, please ask away!

OP
T
Thread Starter #20
[MENTION=3805]Tune+[/MENTION] you've got my attention on a tune. how do i get the details on getting this done and do you still do it?