Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Over 5000 New Ethanol Pumps Planned

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/02/usda-install-bip-biofuel-pumps/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

"US Department of Agriculture (USDA) said this week that the federal and state governments have gotten their hands on about $210 million to almost double the number of ethanol pumps throughout the country. Specifically, about 5,000 pumps at 1,400 stations will be deployed nationwide during the next few years. This is part of what's called the Biofuel Infrastructure Partnership (BIP), which includes 21 states committed to expanding ethanol distribution. While biofuel does have its proponents, the announcement will probably raise the hackles of folks who've long opposed ethanol production.

The planned pumps will be able to deliver E15 and E85 (gas with a 15-percent and 85-percent ethanol content) as well as "intermediate combination blends." The expansion makes sense supply-wise, as corn ethanol production surged to more than 14 billion gallons last year from 1.6 million gallons in 2000."

[HR][/HR]

Press Release:

USDA Announces $210 Million to be Invested in Renewable Energy Infrastructure through the Biofuel Infrastructure Partnership

21 States and Private Partners Match Federal Funds to Expand Infrastructure and Increase Fuel Options for Consumers

KISSIMMEE, Fla., Oct. 28, 2015 – Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack today announced that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is partnering with 21 states through the Biofuel Infrastructure Partnership (BIP) to nearly double the number of fueling pumps nationwide that supply renewable fuels to American motorists. In May 2015, USDA announced the availability of $100 million in grants through the BIP, and that to apply states and private partners match the federal funding by a 1:1 ratio. USDA received applications requesting over $130 million, outpacing the $100 million that is available. With the matching commitments by state and private entities, the BIP is investing a total of $210 million to strengthen the rural economy.

"This major investment in renewable energy infrastructure will give Americans more options that not only will suit their pocketbooks, but also will reduce our country's environmental impact and bolster our rural economy," said Vilsack. "The Biofuel Infrastructure Partnership is one more example of how federal funds can be leveraged by state and private partners to deliver better and farther reaching outcomes for taxpayers. The volume and diverse geographic locations of partners willing to support this infrastructure demonstrate the demand across the country for lower cost, cleaner, American-made fuels. Consumers will begin to see more of these pumps in a matter of months."

The 21 states participating in the BIP include Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. The amount awarded to each state is available at: www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-services/energy-programs/bip/index. The final awards being announced today are estimated to expand infrastructure by nearly 5,000 pumps at over 1,400 fueling stations.

A typical gas pump delivers fuel with 10 percent ethanol, which limits the amount of renewable energy that consumers can purchase. The new partnership will increase the number of pumps, storage and related infrastructure that offer higher blends of ethanol, such as E15, E85, and even intermediate combination blends.

USDA's Office of the Chief Economist just released a comprehensive report on ethanol. The report, titled U.S. Ethanol: An Examination of Policy, Production, Use, Distribution, and Market Interactions, brings clarity to the complex interaction of ethanol production with agricultural markets and government policies. The corn ethanol industry is the largest biofuel producer in the country, with production increasing from about 1.6 billion gallons in 2000 to just over 14 billion gallons in 2014, stimulating economic activity in rural communities.

More subsidies for corn producers. Ethanol production with corn is a negative energy producer. Takes more energy to produce than yields. I wonder if all the anti-GMO crop people realize that they are burning GMO ethanol. Ethanol has too many minuses and not enough pluses. More money needs to be directed to energy efficient engines. Just my opinion.

haste

1000 Post Club
I have access to ethanol free 93 octane. This is better to run in the car, no? Anyone know the pros/cons as far as tuning with ethanol free?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I have access to ethanol free 93 octane. This is better to run in the car, no? Anyone know the pros/cons as far as tuning with ethanol free?
I guess it depends on your view of 'better'. Ethanol fuels will produce more power when tuned properly, but it's corrosive and will eat up fuel pumps and whatnot over time. I would prefer E-0 over E-10, but E-30 over all others.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
More subsidies for corn producers. Ethanol production with corn is a negative energy producer. Takes more energy to produce than yields. I wonder if all the anti-GMO crop people realize that they are burning GMO ethanol. Ethanol has too many minuses and not enough pluses. More money needs to be directed to energy efficient engines. Just my opinion.
Ethanol is a by-product of making the feed that is meant for cows (not people). If we used 0% Ethanol period, we'd still be using the same amount of corn on it.

Of course the oil companies did a great job of making everyone think that we were wasting corn that people eat.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Be careful, we live in a world of marketeers, profit mongers, etc that will postulate any and everything to convince us but....GMO is a pretty bad thing, how most crops are raised is a very bad thing, fracting for oil is a very, very bad thing.....no matter how we use carbon based energy it will run out sooner than later, squander it now for some fun, save a bit for later or figure out fusion or other means.....I don't F'in know.

twolf

Be careful, we live in a world of marketeers, profit mongers, etc that will postulate any and everything to convince us but....GMO is a pretty bad thing, how most crops are raised is a very bad thing, fracting for oil is a very, very bad thing.....no matter how we use carbon based energy it will run out sooner than later, squander it now for some fun, save a bit for later or figure out fusion or other means.....I don't F'in know.
Give me one reason why GMOs are bad :p

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Look it up, very well established, banned in most if not all European countries and they are a bit intelligent.

twolf

Look it up, very well established, banned in most if not all European countries and they are a bit intelligent.
I've personally written several papers on this subject, but okay. Not a convo for this thread. :)

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I don't care what you say.
I won't be here too much longer.
My parents did a good job of screwing up this planet and I am doing my best to carry on the tradition.
I'll be dammed if I will leave anything good to my kids.

Dave
j/k

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
twolf,
Enlighten us, please, I would love to find out I am wrong about it, really.

-----------------

The whole cattle industry from feed production to the end product is a very dirty business, I eat grass fed locally raised meat for several reasons and all are good ones.

-----------------

I am not a complete tree hugger, I have guns and no cat on my car though still think about going back to one regularly and likely will, at least the car is not driven a great deal, 5500 miles in 18 months. My duramax truck does not smoke a bit or smell at all, one of the modern ones with the not so great smog stuff on it but when I get behind and older stinky truck I am glad for what I drive.

Once the GTX2860 and 5th injector is on the car I will see if it needs some E tuning for the race track but I hope not.