Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bad Tune Causing Overheating Issue?

Is it possible that a tune can cause my 14 ST to overheat? I bought the car wrecked from an insurance auction and fixed it up replacing the stock intercooler with a new stock one (among other cosmetic items). The stock radiator looks fine so it has not been replaced. No cooling hoses were tampered with so I doubt there's air in the system.

I am certain my car has been tuned because it is noticeably faster than a stock ST. It feels more torquey and makes louder boost noises from the stock turbo. My car overheats after a few minutes of spirited canyon driving or when ascending hills for a few minutes. It never overheats when idling or driving normally. Ambient temperature has no affect as I have seen the car get hot at 60 degrees as well as over 100 degrees.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
Can you quantify?

Number of overheats?

Twice. The first and only time I went canyon driving. And the first and only time I attempted to drive through Kanan Road to Malibu.

All my daily driving activities luckily do not cause the temperature bars to exceed the middle reading (4 blue squares).

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Number of overheats?

Twice. The first and only time I went canyon driving. And the first and only time I attempted to drive through Kanan Road to Malibu.

All my daily driving activities luckily do not cause the temperature bars to exceed the middle reading (4 blue squares).
And you say the car was a salvage? Are you sure there was no block damage? Any white smoke from the exhaust? Mysteriously disappearing coolant? Can you open the oil cap and shine a light in and tell us what the oil looks like?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
To answer your question the radiator fan can be adjusted in the tune. So, if the tune has it completely turned off, or it's not turning on soon enough you'll overheat. However, the FiST is known to overheat, but not as quickly as yours is.