Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Recommendation for Making my FiST Stage III

Ok guys. I want to make my FiST stage III in the next 2-3 months. It's bone stock right now. I would like some recommendations on which brands of upgrades I should get. The Cobb Stage III kit is nearly $3k. Can I save money be piecing together my own kit from multiple brands? I don't want to go cheap and sacrifice quality but if I can make a stage III kit from multiple sources that's just as good as Cobb but for less money I want to go that route. Thanks

If power is what you seek then BT would be the better route. From what ive heard its around the same price as stg 3 and stock intake and exhaust flow very well from the factory. My opinion only though.

Cheapest way to go stage 3? Mishimoto J-Line with the cmbuildz bracket, Depo racing DP (catted or cattless). Keep the stock intake and stock exhaust.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
If you want "just" stage 3 then sure go with a j-line intercooler. If you ever plan on going big turbo that's the one item you shouldn't cheap out on.

Cpe, maperformance, deadhook all make great intercoolers.

Intake and catback are debatable, tune+ might even tell you the downpipe isn't necessary with stock turbo

Whats wrong going BT with a J-Line? It's a pretty big core and they rate it up to 500hp I believe. Most BT people are running between 300-400hp. If you plan on going all out by all means get the Deadhook intercooler, but I don't see why the J-Line couldn't handle a BT set up.

Besides this thread is asking about the cheapest way to stage 3. Cobb recommends a high flow downpipe for stage 3. I'm currently running the set up I recommended, except I have an aftermarket intake and exhaust, and I have no issues what so ever. I did the research and at the time the J-Line with the bracket kit and the depo racing DP were the cheapest options. For the price neither can be beat. The J-Line is bigger than most of the stock fit intercooler and cheaper, the depo racing DP is just as good as any other DP. The only thing about fitting the J-Line is you'll have to do some cutting to the back of the bumper cover so it can fit. If that is an issue, then the Deadhook stock fit intercooler is probably the next cheapest option.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Whats wrong going BT with a J-Line? It's a pretty big core and they rate it up to 500hp I believe. Most BT people are running between 300-400hp. If you plan on going all out by all means get the Deadhook intercooler, but I don't see why the J-Line couldn't handle a BT set up.

Besides this thread is asking about the cheapest way to stage 3. Cobb recommends a high flow downpipe for stage 3. I'm currently running the set up I recommended, except I have an aftermarket intake and exhaust, and I have no issues what so ever. I did the research and at the time the J-Line with the bracket kit and the depo racing DP were the cheapest options. For the price neither can be beat. The J-Line is bigger than most of the stock fit intercooler and cheaper, the depo racing DP is just as good as any other DP. The only thing about fitting the J-Line is you'll have to do some cutting to the back of the bumper cover so it can fit. If that is an issue, then the Deadhook stock fit intercooler is probably the next cheapest option.
What to intercooler is sated for and what it can actually handle are 2 different things. I personally have a BT and a J-line and the j-line cannot handle the heat my turbo puts out. I have seen up to 30° temp increases on 3-4 pulls. It's a great cheap ic for the stock turbo but once you start trying to make it flow. The j-line shows why it is so cheap. I'm not knocking the j-line in any way. Just stating my personal experience.

I don't see where he asks for the cheapest way to go "Stage III", he is asking if he can save money by piecing it together.

I would rather get an AP, Cyborg turbo, MBRP hot pipe, DHM race intercooler and custom tune than straight Cobb Stage III. The money is about the same, the Cyborg would smoke the Stage III...

The real questions are: What do you want it to do? Do you need to maintain a warranty? Do you need to be able to return to stock?

Figure that out and then ask about parts.

I don't see where he asks for the cheapest way to go "Stage III", he is asking if he can save money by piecing it together.

I would rather get an AP, Cyborg turbo, MBRP hot pipe, DHM race intercooler and custom tune than straight Cobb Stage III. The money is about the same, the Cyborg would smoke the Stage III...

The real questions are: What do you want it to do? Do you need to maintain a warranty? Do you need to be able to return to stock?

He mentions that the complete Cobb kit was almost 3k and said was there any way to save money....sounds like he wants the cheapest way to me.

jeff

2000 Post Club

I keep reading that the money is about the same for 'stage 3' vs. 'big turbo'. How are you guys figuring that?

To officially get what we are calling stage 3, minus an exhaust which is not necessary, all can be had for $1600 ($500 AP, $500 FMIC, $300 intake, $300 downpipe) and installed by oneself.

To go big turbo, you're talking several thousand just for the turbo and necessary parts/exhaust/etc., not to mention a tune and install....I see big turbo costing in excess of $4000 or much more when it's all said and done.

Big difference.

jeff

2000 Post Club

I keep reading that the money is about the same for 'stage 3' vs. 'big turbo'. How are you guys figuring that?

To officially get what we are calling stage 3, minus an exhaust which is not necessary, all can be had for $1600 ($500 AP, $500 FMIC, $300 intake, $300 downpipe) and installed by oneself.

To go big turbo, you're talking several thousand just for the turbo and necessary parts/exhaust/etc., not to mention a tune and install....I see big turbo costing in excess of $4000 or much more when it's all said and done.

Big difference.

Help me if I'm wrong here...

Big difference.

Help me if I'm wrong here...
I was thinking the same thing. You can get a ATP kit for around $2000 depending on the size, but you still have to get the AP and tune, get a fmic, DP, etc etc....I don't see how it's the same price especially if you go a cheaper route like the J-Line and depo dp. I even got my AP when it was on sale.

AP $500, Cyborg $1450, MBRP hot pipe $110, DHM Race intercooler $900, custom tune $250. That adds up around $3200. On Cobb's web site, Fiesta Stage III is $2960. That is fairly close from Stage III to hybrid turbo. A true big turbo adds about $2,000 from DHM and cheaper with ATP but they use a modified stock exhaust manifold.

You can piece together a FMIC, downpipe, AP and call it "Stage III" but it's not the same. Also, the intakes seemingly do nothing.

I think "Stage III" is a poor value, stock is nice for warranty purposes, Stage 1 with an AP is nice, adding a better FMIC makes sense (Stage 2), after that step up to a hybrid, after that go DHM Quick Spool, after that go with a bigger turbo, aux fuel and an ethanol tune.

If you have the money and want big power, it makes sense to go straight from stock or Stage 1 to DHM Quick Spool or when you go Stage 2, get a FMIC that will support a big turbo or hybrid well. That way you don't wind up replacing parts more than once.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I was thinking the same thing. You can get a ATP kit for around $2000 depending on the size, but you still have to get the AP and tune, get a fmic, DP, etc etc....I don't see how it's the same price especially if you go a cheaper route like the J-Line and depo dp. I even got my AP when it was on sale.
Yessir....I got a used AP/RMM/panel filter for $400, a used Cobb DP for $300, a used Cobb FMIC on the way for $400, and a CP-E CAI brand new for $340, all shipped....and a bunch of stickers. So I'm in $1440 for stage 3 installed in my garage....$250 more for a custom e-tune later and we're at $1690 for optimal bolt-on power. Minus $300 if I sell my downpipe which I am debating after my research....which could mean $1390 for me for optimized bolt-on action.

I see big turbo costing 3 or 4 times more than that when it's all said and done.

jeff

2000 Post Club
AP $500, Cyborg $1450, MBRP hot pipe $110, DHM Race intercooler $900, custom tune $250. That adds up around $3200. On Cobb's web site, Fiesta Stage III is $2960. That is fairly close from Stage III to hybrid turbo. A true big turbo adds about $2,000 from DHM and cheaper with ATP but they use a modified stock exhaust manifold.

You can piece together a FMIC, downpipe, AP and call it "Stage III" but it's not the same. Also, the intakes seemingly do nothing.

I think "Stage III" is a poor value, stock is nice for warranty purposes, Stage 1 with an AP is nice, adding a better FMIC makes sense (Stage 2), after that step up to a hybrid, after that go DHM Quick Spool, after that go with a bigger turbo, aux fuel and an ethanol tune.

If you have the money and want big power, it makes sense to go straight from stock or Stage 1 to DHM Quick Spool or when you go Stage 2, get a FMIC that will support a big turbo or hybrid well. That way you don't wind up replacing parts more than once.
You forgot install, the bolt-ons are simple and can be done by most with novice skills but I venture that most who are doing big turbo upgrades are having them installed professionally. That brings the price up significantly.

Not trying to argue, just saying there is a cost to all that HP.

How is piecing together the stage 3 from other parts "not the same"? They do the same exact thing, the tune is exactly the same...lol....

Most people that buy the $2960 Cobb kit get theirs installed by someone else.

My DHM Quick Spool will be installed by me. I bill my labor at $0 (not for hire).

How is piecing together the stage 3 from other parts "not the same"? They do the same exact thing, the tune is exactly the same...lol....
Not all intercoolers are created equal, otherwise stock would be fine. Cobb stage three has a "cold air" intake which heat soaks because the tube has no insulating properties. The OTS Cobb Stage III tune is tuned for their parts. When you change everything except the tune, you should really get another tune.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I agree....the differences seem to be negligible between the better brands at the same price point.

I really appreciate you thinking this through instead of drinking the Kool-Aid.

Most people that buy the $2960 Cobb kit get theirs installed by someone else.

My DHM Quick Spool will be installed by me. I bill my labor at $0 (not for hire).
Bottom line, you're still spending four figures more especially since we're both installing ourselves. But of course you have MO POWAH.

And....I look forward to your results! Kudos on the install, I did the turbo upgrade install on my STi a few years ago and it wasn't too bad at all. Same as the Fiesta, the car had amazing power in the mid to high range with the bigger turbo, and driveability was soooo much better. In my case, I got that out of my system and am very happy with my Fiesta as it is, and moreso when I finish my stage 2 or 3 setup in a few months. The whole reason I bought it was because the power is useable most of the time, unlike my STi.

Any setup - stock, stage 3, or big turbo - it's a great car.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Not all intercoolers are created equal, otherwise stock would be fine. Cobb stage three has a "cold air" intake which heat soaks because the tube has no insulating properties. The OTS Cobb Stage III tune is tuned for their parts. When you change everything except the tune, you should really get another tune.
I'm pretty sure he meant all aftermarket FMICs.

Cobb CAI has proven data for its skill in obtaining overall cooler air.

I agree on the tune....spending all this money and then using an OTS tune in the end is probably not the plan for most modders.