Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch Issues

Ok, so, I have a 2015 FIST. Yersterday I was driving and I tried to put first gear at 60 MPH, I wasn't going to let the clutch out, because I knew that was going to be horrible, I just wanted to know if the car was going to engage into first gear.

While I was trying to put into first, I heard a noise, now the clutch is very soft, and no gears can be selected. Now the question is, trying to put into first gear at that speed is the reason why the master cylinder may be broken? I mean I only tried.... I think ST's are a little softs.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
what? why would you want to put it in 1st while going 60? even if you did it while depressing the clutch.. what was your intention?

OP
P
Thread Starter #7
So.... any ideas why trying to engage into first gear ended with the clutch being soft? or broke the master cylinder? I already took it to warranty repair.

As stated in the Fiesta ST Owners Supplement, Page 11;

"Recommended Shift Speeds

Note:Do not move the transmission select or lever to first gear when your vehicle is moving faster than 15 mph (24 km/h). This will damage the clutch."

Maybe spinning the clutch disc up to 12,000~16,000 rpm had something to do with it.

OP
P
Thread Starter #9
As stated in the Fiesta ST Owners Supplement, Page 11;

"Recommended Shift Speeds

Note:Do not move the transmission select or lever to first gear when your vehicle is moving faster than 15 mph (24 km/h). This will damage the clutch."

Maybe spinning the clutch disc up to 12,000~16,000 rpm had something to do with it.
Well, I suppose I lerned the hard way.

OP
P
Thread Starter #14
Fear not my friends... Today a guy from the delaer called me and told me that the clutch collar was broken and that I didn't have to pay anything other than $15 for priority shipping. Not an expensive learnt lesson for my first manual car I must say.

OP
P
Thread Starter #17
Not to be troll or anything, but everyone warned me about how weak the Ford's transmissions are... I should've gotten an SI instead.

OP
P
Thread Starter #19
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with this little car, I know I it's my fault, but let's not try to cover the sun with your finger, what about if it was by mistake, cuz I'm a rookie driving manual.

The funny thing is that it didn't grab 1st gear, only tried for 2 secs and the car only has 5k miles. I guess I'm reselling it after 4 years of ownership.

There is a lesson in all of this: It was a mistake made out of curiosity. It's not the car's fault or manufacturer's fault and they did you a serious kindness by honoring the warranty. I'm not saying that to be mean or come down on you. We all learn by our own mistakes or the mistakes of others.

I hope you have a good ownership experience and enjoy the forums as a great knowledge base.