Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

clutch/trans?

anyone else have a fist whose clutch engages really hard, if I'm not careful letting it out in 1-3 it almost jerks forward when it engages. it also chatters at low rpm in those gears...apart from that it drives great, with perfect performance.. is this normal? any input from u guys? Is it still a reliable trans? I have no other issues with it..will it need to get replaced eventually or will it last? has 3700miles still breaking in you think? it got worse wen I installed the cobb rmm though. thanks

Are you literally shifting and then dumping the clutch? Is this on up shifts or down?

Mine does this too when upshifting into 2nd if I am not gentle with the clutch (less so into 3rd, more dramatic at low revs). I just assumed it was due to the clutch disk being a bit grabby and the clutch/flywheel springs trying to cope with the difference in speeds between the shafts. Basically if you don't absorb the momentum of the engine gradually by smoothly engaging the clutch (i.e. releasing the pedal), then it will be transferred to the springs. Springs compress and rebound of course, which is where the jerkiness comes from.

OP
F
Thread Starter #7
Mine does this too when upshifting into 2nd if I am not gentle with the clutch (less so into 3rd, more dramatic at low revs). I just assumed it was due to the clutch disk being a bit grabby and the clutch/flywheel springs trying to cope with the difference in speeds between the shafts. Basically if you don't absorb the momentum of the engine gradually by smoothly engaging the clutch (i.e. releasing the pedal), then it will be transferred to the springs. Springs compress and rebound of course, which is where the jerkiness comes from.
that's a relief to hear thanks man, that's exactly to the t what mine is like. less so into third more 1-2 even into first it does it if I start fast then get off the gas. out of curiosity do u have a rmm?

and yes more dramatic at low revs

It's just due to the ratios between 1 and 2. It can be tricky to get smooth compared to the other get changes. Probably the trickiest shift of any stick I've driven. Gotta be a little slow with the clutch or very specific with rpm based on the rate of acceleration is what I've come to. I always end up getting a semi rough shift if I don't 100% pay attention to it.

As I understand it the issue is caused by a few things:

1) soft OEM rear motor mount gives the engine a lot of play in return for less vibrations in the cabin at idle

2) heavy ass flywheel

3) rev catch or whatever it is called, it will keep the revs high for a second or so and if you dump the clutch before that it will jerk

I have this issue so what I started doing is just being really slow with the clutch in 2nd and a little fast in 3rd. I can dump the clutch at higher gears

Sometimes the jerk is cool because it gives the impression of a shit ton of torque

You can "fix" this issue by being soft with the clutch and also getting another RMM. I have done some research and found the CP-E flex is the best all around, but it has a break in period.

OP
F
Thread Starter #11
As I understand it the issue is caused by a few things:

1) soft OEM rear motor mount gives the engine a lot of play in return for less vibrations in the cabin at idle

2) heavy ass flywheel

3) rev catch or whatever it is called, it will keep the revs high for a second or so and if you dump the clutch before that it will jerk

I have this issue so what I started doing is just being really slow with the clutch in 2nd and a little fast in 3rd. I can dump the clutch at higher gears

Sometimes the jerk is cool because it gives the impression of a shit ton of torque

You can "fix" this issue by being soft with the clutch and also getting another RMM. I have done some research and found the CP-E flex is the best all around, but it has a break in period.
mine got worse with my cobb rmm.... its stiffer so the less absorption of energy.

OP
F
Thread Starter #12
It's just due to the ratios between 1 and 2. It can be tricky to get smooth compared to the other get changes. Probably the trickiest shift of any stick I've driven. Gotta be a little slow with the clutch or very specific with rpm based on the rate of acceleration is what I've come to. I always end up getting a semi rough shift if I don't 100% pay attention to it.
yea it can be tricky you gotta pay attention, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one... any clutch or tranny rattle at low rpm accel in low gears? thanks for the reply

Mycargoesvroom outlined it very well. The "Rev Hang" makes casual driving very forgiving: just let off the clutch, slide to the next gear and the revs will be closely matched already. The trouble is if you want to shift even semi-fast you'll get that non-rev-matched lurch/surge.

Same experience in my 2015. 1-2 and 2-3 are brutal and like mycargoesvroom mentioned, I think it has to do with the "rev catch" feature which an Accessport can disable. The only way I can shift smoothly in any gear below 4th is to be SUPER patient and allow the revs to drop. Of course, doing this while pulling away from a red light pretty much pisses off everyone behind me because I slow-down abruptly while I'm shifting, and where I live drivers are always riding your rear-bumper like an a**. *shrugs*