Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Royal Purple 5w-20 motor oil thread

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey guys,

I've used RP oil in my vehicles over the last few years. My last turbo'd car, an STi, did great with it over 4 years' time. I meticulously track MPGs and that car got right at +1mpg with the RP. My Corolla got a solid +2mpg with it, and my other car, an Odyssey, achieved about +2.5mpg with RP oil in the engine.

I'd love to hear other's experiences with it; I know there are unbelievers and I remember reading somewhere here that one person's catch can seemed to fill up quicker with RP than regular synthetic oil. But I'm gonna give it a go and see how it does. I just installed my catch can so I will be looking at that as well.

So far I've filled my Fiesta up 8 times. MPG (70% city 30% hwy) was 30.33, 30.6, 31.12, 30, 30.26, 29.55 plus two highway trips, 33.5 and 33.92.

So the average for my usual daily drive (70/30) is 30.31.

I'll post data on the next few tanks and see what sort of improvements I achieve.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I've been using royal purple in my fiST since the first oil change. I haven't noticed any different MPG's than any one else. I usually average 31 with Cobb stage 1 map. When I was stage 3 and had the tune+ tune going it was like 33-34mpg.

The oil seems to work well, not sure if I'm benefiting from it in any way though

Overpriced and overhyped. The old formula that was SL rated was the better formula with the added anti wear additive that was taken out when the oil was updated to the SN formula. Any API SN synthetic is more than enough for these cars.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Overpriced and overhyped. The old formula that was SL rated was the better formula with the added anti wear additive that was taken out when the oil was updated to the SN formula. Any API SN synthetic is more than enough for these cars.
New formula or old formula, my van is getting 360 miles to the tank over the last year with RP. For the first 9 years of its life (I bought it new) it got 300. That's roughly 120 more miles per month which translates to about 6 gallons which means $15 of free gas each month which equals $180 saved in one year for $35 of Royal Purple.

Hardly overpriced IMHO.

Zormecteon

I don't know about the effeciency of their oil. What I will say is that I work in an industrial plant, (in a paper mill) and the mill uses RP products. This is a business, (D'oh) and they wouldn't be using RP [products if they weren't COST effective. Either they are cheaper than, say MOBILE 1, or last longer, 0r lubircate better (for them) or some other benefit. The fact they it's used in this extreme environment was good enough for me to put their gear oil in the tranny of "the red thing" (my Healey). I've not used their motor oil because I need the zinc contained in older spec oils.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Thought I'd report back....after one tank of gas with the RP I acheived 29.73 mpg. That's comparable to the 30.31 average I noted before, but obviously not better. Same route, conditions, pump, etc.

Conclusion: RP oil does nothing to increase MPG on this car as it did on my other cars.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thought I'd report back....after one tank of gas with the RP I acheived 29.73 mpg. That's comparable to the 30.31 average I noted before, but obviously not better. Same route, conditions, pump, etc.

Conclusion: RP oil does nothing to increase MPG on this car as it did on my other cars.
I had the same results when I used RP. Nothing really stood out. Good oil though!

I recently switched to pennzoil platinum and if I like it will eventually try pennzoil ultra platinum, which is $27 for 5qt at Walmart

Pete

Also Royal purple does sell an oil that has the zinc in it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also I have been running royal purple in my fiesta for 33,000 miles and the power still feels the same. No catch can. I do plan at 50,000 miles to remove the intake manifold and clean the valves if needed. I too noticed mpg increases in my previous cars but not in the fiesta. Makes me wonder if the oil from factory is synthetic as some car companies use synthetic oil for engine break in.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Generally, the RP non-believers are people that follow and track data. For some reason, most RP believers only seem to post about fuel mileage or dyno-related discussion.

RP is not a 'horrible' oil, it generally just doesn't fit into any 'great' category due to the price. There are better oils that cost less, especially for FI/DI platforms. Either way, now that you have it in there you should consider doing some UOA's.