Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clear bra question

Ok I just bought my car this Monday when I bought it I noticed it had one Minor chip in the paint no big deal it's 2 years old and I bought it previously owned. So it's Tuesday and I have put about 200 miles on the car and have 4 additional little chips now that weren't there before. My question is should I go ahead and get a clear bra installed to further stop additional damage? the few chips that are there don't stand out at all. I just don't want a snow balling effect and my paint go to crap. Let me know your thoughts! I got quoted $1000 for full bumper, hood, and fenders. as well as putting a strip on the back bumper to protect it from setting stuff on it. Material is Xpel

These cars tend to chip very easily. I say touch up the chips and get a bra installed ASAP - that's what I'm doing because I'm anal about that stuff. You're the only one who can determine if the cost is worth it...personally, I'm going to get a 3M Scotchgard Pro pre cut kit for around $270 and install it myself.

DaveG99

I spent $800 on hood, fenders, and mirrors. And then I got a chip on my roof! Do the front part of your roof instead of the back.

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
yeah its an additional 160 to have him do the pillars and add a strip to the roof so I may go that route

I spent $600 for what they are Charging you $1000 on, you should get another estimate. And yes, the bra is totally worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thread Starter #6
It's more of a time frame thing, I need it done before Thursday before I go on a road trip and this guy is available to do it and get it done

Ok I just bought my car this Monday when I bought it I noticed it had one Minor chip in the paint no big deal it's 2 years old and I bought it previously owned. So it's Tuesday and I have put about 200 miles on the car and have 4 additional little chips now that weren't there before. My question is should I go ahead and get a clear bra installed to further stop additional damage? the few chips that are there don't stand out at all. I just don't want a snow balling effect and my paint go to crap. Let me know your thoughts! I got quoted $1000 for full bumper, hood, and fenders. as well as putting a strip on the back bumper to protect it from setting stuff on it. Material is Xpel
I had my ST for 8 months and had about 10-15 rock chips before getting the clear bra. My only regret is not doing it sooner. It's only going to get worse. As far as the price you were quoted at, I think it is all about location. For my full bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors was $1,400. I called 3 of the most reputable shops in the area and they were all within $100 of that, so it really depends on where you are at (but I would still call around). My film is XPEL and I have had it for about a month now, maybe longer, and have 0 rock chips since installing. Worth every penny IMO.

My car was littered with small chips within a month of driving it, and it's only gotten worse. Back bumper is all chewed up now too from squeezing into and out of tight parallel parking spots. I don't care enough to fix it all and put the clear bra on at this point, but I wish I had done it from the start. The paint on the FiST is garbage. I don't really mind any of the other "economy car" aspects of the car, but this one really bugs me.

Im having Xpel installed next week on my car before a road trip later in the week. Having the full front done, lights, fog lights and side view mirrors. About $1200.

OP
C
Thread Starter #10
Well now the unfortunate part comes... looks like I'm going to have to deal with whatever comes, the wife's car is in need of repair and she won't justify me spending a stack when her car needs the work done. Def gonna save up this coming month to get it done. In the meantime looks like I'm going to have to get some touch up and just keep it looking decent as I go. I really wanted to do a full touch up before I had the clear bra anyway so I suppose it works out for me lol.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
These cars tend to chip very easily. I say touch up the chips and get a bra installed ASAP - that's what I'm doing because I'm anal about that stuff. You're the only one who can determine if the cost is worth it...personally, I'm going to get a 3M Scotchgard Pro pre cut kit for around $270 and install it myself.

Where can you get this precut kit? Site link if ya got one?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've seen it done first hand by a friend who does detailing. ....he said it's a complete ripoff for how much they charge for the install. Too bad I can't get ahold of him....fml.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Because it's hard to put the stuff on correctly lol. You are basically paying for their experience in doing it. It's worth it when I look at my bro in laws fost and see all the chips on his hood.
I work with people everyday as a nurse and there is less room for error than installing 3m clear coat bra material. I don't get paid $100 an hour....the price is still ridiculous for labor as far as I'm concerned.

I work with people everyday as a nurse and there is less room for error than installing 3m clear coat bra material. I don't get paid $100 an hour....the price is still ridiculous for labor as far as I'm concerned.
I think it comes down to a) it's hard to apply correctly with little room for error and b) once they apply it, they won't see you again for five years so they aren't slammed all day everyday installing these and want to make a living. It's like getting a tattoo, I'll pay $175 an hour to know the person is doing it right and knows what they are doing. If I get three years out of my bra then I'll consider $600 a good deal.