Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Catch can confusion

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey everyone,

I installed my amazing JBR catch can a few months ago. Today as I was looking around under my hood I noticed some oil leaking from the brass threads of my check valve. I took it apart and put some teflon tape on the threads. But then I realized that there should NOT be any oil there; it should be in the can. So now I'm confused. According to the install directions, page 7 here, I installed it perfectly. Compared with the picture of my car, it is correct:

However, there is oil in the pipe leading to the intake manifold that is to the left of the red arrow on my check valve pictured above. From my understanding, that is exactly why the catch can exists, to keep this oil out.

Help me out, is there supposed to be some residual oil in there despite the can, or did I somehow install it incorrectly (making JBR's instructions wrong as well)???? Confused....

Thanks!

KKaWing

Catch cans are not 100% effective. Even a mesh based Saikou Michi ones are 9X%. VTA systems will be more effective as most vapour will be pushed out.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Can has only been on a few thousand miles. I checked it about 2000 miles ago and it was empty.

Have I hooked everything up correctly? Anyone else seen oil in the same place as me? I realize it may not catch it all but I wonder if others have oil in the same place....

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I've been keeping an eye on my fittings too. So far I have no seeps or leaks but I have the Mishimoto kit. I applied teflon tape to the two fittings that go on the can itself, as it was recommended by Mishimoto. Teflon tape seems to be a good idea for the fittings.