Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stage 2 - Inexpensive options?

I have the COBB AP and I was wondering if there were inexpensive (but also reliable) ways to go stage 2 without going with the Cobb parts?

From what I am aware of, Stage 2 means intake and intercooler upgrades?

Any other alternative suggestions to Cobb?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Any FMIC will be fine, it doesn't have to be Cobb and you don't need an intake for the OTS tune. Add a custom tune for E30 and you'll be nearly maxed for power on the OEM turbo.

There are plenty of options out there. As DYN085 said, IC won't matter too much. Just be careful of cheap vs inexpensive. Spooltuning, MAPerformance, Mountune, ATP, Wagner, Forge Motorsport, CP-E are off the top of my head. Wagner/Forge/CP-E being the least expensive around $600-$650. All the others are $700+.

I went Depot Racing FMIC for $329 and the MAPerformance intake for $240 (got it in wrinkle black) so I'm at stage 2 for under $600.

OP
P
Thread Starter #6
Any FMIC will be fine, it doesn't have to be Cobb and you don't need an intake for the OTS tune. Add a custom tune for E30 and you'll be nearly maxed for power on the OEM turbo.
Oh the OTS map isn't affected by not having an intake?

J2FoRS

Oh the OTS map isn't affected by not having an intake?
No. Many are running Stage 2 on simply a drop in panel filter (Cobb, Mountune, Green etc) which can be had for under $50. Or you can run it simply with the stock intake/filter. Buy a used quality FMIC from the forum, I landed a used Cobb for a great price. Depot has similar design for $329 new shipped, MTC also is a other Cobb copy off eBay for cheap. <Stage 2 under $500 if you already have AP.

Don't know yet. I plan on installing everything this weekend, maybe the intake this week if I find time.
I too have been interested in the Depo FMIC. Almost seems too good to be true! Others have installed with no major figment issues, but not a lot of data on performance.

If you've got the inclination, I'd love to hear your opinion on the performance of this product compared to stock. Maybe even just some numbers on relative air temps compared with stock IC temps..?

I'm hopeful to be able to pull the trigger on an IC purchase by the end of the month, when the Mishimoto pre sale ends. Debating between these 2 with a $200 difference.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
No. Many are running Stage 2 on simply a drop in panel filter (Cobb, Mountune, Green etc) which can be had for under $50. Or you can run it simply with the stock intake/filter. Buy a used quality FMIC from the forum, I landed a used Cobb for a great price. Depot has similar design for $329 new shipped, MTC also is a other Cobb copy off eBay for cheap. <Stage 2 under $500 if you already have AP.
^This.

You can basically max out the OEM turbo on the OEM hard-parts and a custom tune. Going beyond that is basically just going to make your power more consistent, help with your turbo efficiency/longevity, or just be nice to hear or look at.

OP
P
Thread Starter #12
The AP OTS Stage 2 map works fine with JUST a drop in filter?
That map isn't tuned for an IC and intake?

If that's true, then I might have to try that!

I went with Mountune RMM, drop in filter, and AP, and a Depo FMIC for a total cost of $942 shipped.

Now if I could just find a road where I can do a 20-80mph 3rd gear pull without traffic, then I could get logs to Randy and post them on here for everyone to see if the Depo is doing its job!

I went with the MAPerformance IC as an affordable choice, but if I was doing it today I would have gone with Depo. On my old '14 FoST I did the DIY intercooler from their forums, using an Ebay core, and spent about $200 total including silicone elbows and clamps. Tons of FoST owners have done the same thing with good results, it seems no one has put the time and research into doing the same for the FiST.

Memorial Day sale for MAP's Intercooler was 50$ off, I got that for 450, + cobb for 500, + full intake for 200 BOV for 200. Next step bigger Turbo and IC piping and e30 tune maybe after summer possibly.