Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Installing Focus ST3 full leather Recaros in Fiesta ST

So I tried to do some more swapping around of upholdstry and seat backs for a different look to better match my 2017 interior. Come to find out that even using the Fiesta recaro base, my Focus Recaros are a different back with different, wider attachment points. Im going to try and spend some time tracking down why this is, maybe I got ST1 Focus Recaros? Only thing I can think of when it comes to this. While some Focus Recaros do work for this swap, I can confirm 100% that NOT ALL FOCUS ST RECAROS WILL WORK IN THIS SWAP! Ive seen people claiming in this thread that they are the same. Be advised that some might be, but not all are.

What I can tell you about my Focus Recaros is that the airbag was not in a nice square plastic box like the Fiesta or the Ford Racing Recaros swapped by Zero. It was basically just wrapped up around itslef with the firing charge. I dont know if that means it is an early model ST1 Recaro or what, but its the one of the differences I found between my working Fiesta Recaros, the Ford Racing Recaros Zero got and the Focus Recaros that I bought. The other difference is of course that the seat back of the Focus Recaro is different, the attachment points coming off the seat back are wider than those on my non recaro Fiesta base and also the recaro Fiesta base.

Best I got right now guys, hope this keeps someone else from jumping in headstrong like I did or at least is aware of what you are getting into when you pull the trigger.

So I tried to do some more swapping around of upholdstry and seat backs for a different look to better match my 2017 interior. Come to find out that even using the Fiesta recaro base, my Focus Recaros are a different back with different, wider attachment points. Im going to try and spend some time tracking down why this is, maybe I got ST1 Focus Recaros? Only thing I can think of when it comes to this. While some Focus Recaros do work for this swap, I can confirm 100% that NOT ALL FOCUS ST RECAROS WILL WORK IN THIS SWAP! Ive seen people claiming in this thread that they are the same. Be advised that some might be, but not all are.

What I can tell you about my Focus Recaros is that the airbag was not in a nice square plastic box like the Fiesta or the Ford Racing Recaros swapped by Zero. It was basically just wrapped up around itslef with the firing charge. I dont know if that means it is an early model ST1 Recaro or what, but its the one of the differences I found between my working Fiesta Recaros, the Ford Racing Recaros Zero got and the Focus Recaros that I bought. The other difference is of course that the seat back of the Focus Recaro is different, the attachment points coming off the seat back are wider than those on my non recaro Fiesta base and also the recaro Fiesta base.

Best I got right now guys, hope this keeps someone else from jumping in headstrong like I did or at least is aware of what you are getting into when you pull the trigger.
Someone on one of my threads said that only 13-14 preface lift Focus ST seats work... now if true, that's a big piece of information no one else has mentioned in the more popular threads, and maybe your seats are '15+. I went ahead and bought '14 full leather st3 seats. I'm hoping they work, or else I'll be in the same situation as you. I'm waiting for a boring rainy day when my friend and I are free to do the painstaking swap.

Someone on one of my threads said that only 13-14 preface lift Focus ST seats work... now if true, that's a big piece of information no one else has mentioned in the more popular threads, and maybe your seats are '15+. I went ahead and bought '14 full leather st3 seats. I'm hoping they work, or else I'll be in the same situation as you. I'm waiting for a boring rainy day when my friend and I are free to do the painstaking swap.
Start with the passenger side. That way if it doesn't work, you don't have to rush it back together and the car still drives.

If you are looking to put in the time, there is another thread about putting ST3 full leather seats AND keeping the electric sliding functionality. However, this swap requires that you do some work to the Focus seat base to make it work in the Fiesta, then do the wiring.

I'll probably be doing the conversation on my Focus seats once spring comes around. Need to cut down the back of the track and fab a rear mount but it doesn't look too hard if you have access to the equipment.

Good luck man. Keep this thread informed of what happens! Pics would be great.

EDIT: my seats were out of a 2015 so you might be onto something there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi

I can matter of factly tell you that 15+ seats will not work. The rear seat frame design changed in 2015 and it does not bolt up to the fiesta seat base. The only way to use them is to drill out the focus mounting points and weld the fiesta ones on.

Hi

I can matter of factly tell you that 15+ seats will not work. The rear seat frame design changed in 2015 and it does not bolt up to the fiesta seat base. The only way to use them is to drill out the focus mounting points and weld the fiesta ones on.
Awesome to have this confirmation. Thanks for it! Guess I'm selling as Focus seats or converting when the weather is warmer. Probably converting since I'm half way through 1 part of the seat swap already[emoji23][emoji1787]

Awesome to have this confirmation. Thanks for it! Guess I'm selling as Focus seats or converting when the weather is warmer. Probably converting since I'm half way through 1 part of the seat swap already[emoji23][emoji1787]

well, I think you can skin the seat back and swap foams onto the fiesta back. this is what I plan to do with the drivers side so I can have manual recline. I'm considering purchasing cheap base fiesta se seats for the swap, so I can keep my original fiesta ST seats in tact.

well, I think you can skin the seat back and swap foams onto the fiesta back. this is what I plan to do with the drivers side so I can have manual recline. I'm considering purchasing cheap base fiesta se seats for the swap, so I can keep my original fiesta ST seats in tact.
That would be ALOT of work, especially with the foam. I haven't been able to find base seats cheap enough either. Granted I didn't look hard, but I was seeing 200 a pop online.

Has there been any posts or has anyone done a swap with 15+ seats? I just bought a set of 2017s and read this page a couple days later.. unfortunately. I’m trying to sell the seats but seeing if anyone’s done it before and if it’s a lot more work.

Has there been any posts or has anyone done a swap with 15+ seats? I just bought a set of 2017s and read this page a couple days later.. unfortunately. I’m trying to sell the seats but seeing if anyone’s done it before and if it’s a lot more work.
Nick has done it with full leather ST3 seats and he kept the electric adjustment. He documented it here:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=13181&share_fid=74193&share_type=t

The major issue with it is that you have to destroy your stock seats to accomplish it and it's a bit of fabrication.

Yeah definitely beyond what I want to do and I’m not risking myself or passenger if something messes up. Sucks but live and learn I guess lol. Idk enough about the changes but someone should sticky a disclaimer about these seat years or something.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah definitely beyond what I want to do and I’m not risking myself or passenger if something messes up. Sucks but live and learn I guess lol. Idk enough about the changes but someone should sticky a disclaimer about these seat years or something.
The rails and frames changed in 2015. I didn't find that out until I actually re-built a set for some friends who had FoSTs and wanted to trade seats. Its crazy that they made like two little changes but it just screws everything up. You could "make" it work but you'd have to drill out the bolt threads on the seat back sides and then put a sleeve, bolt, and nut on. It would work but I dont know how they'd hold up in a wreck.

The rails and frames changed in 2015. I didn't find that out until I actually re-built a set for some friends who had FoSTs and wanted to trade seats. Its crazy that they made like two little changes but it just screws everything up. You could "make" it work but you'd have to drill out the bolt threads on the seat back sides and then put a sleeve, bolt, and nut on. It would work but I dont know how they'd hold up in a wreck.
I would do like Nick did and modify the mounting points well before I modified the actual seat itself. You can bolt everything together like he did, then weld everything in place and it will be just as good and safe as the factory stuff. But modifying the seats themselves, specifically the mourning points? I wouldnt do that.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would do like Nick did and modify the mounting points well before I modified the actual seat itself. You can bolt everything together like he did, then weld everything in place and it will be just as good and safe as the factory stuff. But modifying the seats themselves, specifically the mourning points? I wouldnt do that.

Yup. Aside what I said a couple of posts up (what Nick did) and doing this, there wouldn't be another way. However the airbags bolt up the same way, so you could drill off the brackets, weld on the fiesta ones, and still be able to make it work. FWIW the 2015 FoST seats are really nice and I prefer them to the FiST and 2013-14 FoST seats.

Yup. Aside what I said a couple of posts up (what Nick did) and doing this, there wouldn't be another way. However the airbags bolt up the same way, so you could drill off the brackets, weld on the fiesta ones, and still be able to make it work. FWIW the 2015 FoST seats are really nice and I prefer them to the FiST and 2013-14 FoST seats.
I still have my 2015 FoST seats and want to swap them with my stock bases. Then sell my 2017 FiST Recaros that I found.

I still have my 2015 FoST seats and want to swap them with my stock bases. Then sell my 2017 FiST Recaros that I found.

Did I read this right? You're going to sell you FiST recaros in the future? If this happens and you are willing to ship keep me in mind, I want them baaad.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Fist recaros are terrible. They encourage rounded shoulders and forward neck posture. I don't understand why the head rest is pitched so far forward, it's like they want you to look down while you're driving.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

so if I had 2018 focus recaros, I can't even strip the foam and covers to swap to my fiesta backs and bases?