Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Front Windshield Washer Nozzle Issues

My 2016 FiST's front washer nozzles spray really low on the windshield - like just above the wiper blades in their "off" position. At first I thought that this was some tactic of Ford's to save the environment and not waste cleaner by spraying over the windshield. However, sometimes they don't even spray at all, so I'm thinking there is an issue to be fixed under warranty here.

So, my question is, where does your washer nozzle spray on your windshield? Is it down low like mine, or across the windshield like every other car ever?

FYI, when the fronts don't work, I try the rear, and it sprays just fine, so I'm not out of fluid...unless there is a separate tank for the rear? But I didn't see one...

Thanks!

Zormecteon

Mine has a great pattern across the front glass, so yours IS abnormal after a survey of TWO instances. And no there is only ONE washer bottle.

Sam4

My 2016 FiST's front washer nozzles spray really low on the windshield - like just above the wiper blades in their "off" position. At first I thought that this was some tactic of Ford's to save the environment and not waste cleaner by spraying over the windshield. However, sometimes they don't even spray at all, so I'm thinking there is an issue to be fixed under warranty here.

So, my question is, where does your washer nozzle spray on your windshield? Is it down low like mine, or across the windshield like every other car ever?

FYI, when the fronts don't work, I try the rear, and it sprays just fine, so I'm not out of fluid...unless there is a separate tank for the rear? But I didn't see one...

Thanks!
Try and re-aim / ream with a pin.

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #4
Mine has a great pattern across the front glass, so yours IS abnormal after a survey of TWO instances. And no there is only ONE washer bottle.
50% abnormality rate! Absolutely atrocious! [wink] Thanks for your input. I thought it might be just mine...
Try and re-aim / ream with a pin.
...you can do that?? I'll give it a try this afternoon. Hopefully it won't affect anything if I still need the dealer to replace it or something.

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #6
I think I found the culprit, at least as far as the 'not spraying" part. I had the hood up while checking my oil, so I decided to trace the nozzle hose from the nozzle back to the tank. The hose was pinched where the hood meets the fender, pinched all the way shut. I think it's supposed to be wrapped around somehow to stay out of the way, but had worked its way out. I moved it around a little, but it looks like it's already been pressed closed for so long that I'm not sure it's gonna reopen. I'll see what Ford will do to replace it next time I visit.

Check the drivers side hinge for the hood when you hood is up, and see if the tubing got stuck and pinched, resulting in less pressure and a bad spray.

Mine got stuck in there in 2 weeks of owning, resulting in no spray.

I think I found the culprit, at least as far as the 'not spraying" part. I had the hood up while checking my oil, so I decided to trace the nozzle hose from the nozzle back to the tank. The hose was pinched where the hood meets the fender, pinched all the way shut. I think it's supposed to be wrapped around somehow to stay out of the way, but had worked its way out. I moved it around a little, but it looks like it's already been pressed closed for so long that I'm not sure it's gonna reopen. I'll see what Ford will do to replace it next time I visit.

Just saw this. Apparently it's a common issue on these cars?

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #9
Just saw this. Apparently it's a common issue on these cars?
2 out of 2 cars, it's an epidemic! Lol

Were you able to get flow to it again or did it have to be replaced/repaired?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Not a common issue, but you know how it is. For every owner on the forums there is at least 10 not on here. At least it's nothing major.

I caught mine early and it's hot here, so the rubber pretty much regained it's old shape. Still damaged visually, but no leaks and it sprays fine.

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #11
i didnt spend a whole lot of time on it, but i'm pretty sure i saw cracks on it. i'm gonna check it out again this afternoon.

Does anyone happen to know how it is supposed to be routed? it would be awesome if there were pics associated with it... [pics?]

I pulled some of the slack towards the nozzles to get rid of some of the play in the hinge area. The little plastic clamps have pretty good tension on them, so wherever I set the hose it has stayed so far. I just wan out to look at it real quick and it's still in the same position as 3 weeks ago when I fixed it, and still slightly deformed as well.

I had the exact same issue as you did, even to the point of no fluid coming out the front nozzles at all, while the rear worked just fine.

At first I thought that the windshield cleaner pump had failed, but of course, the rear was working just fine, so that wasn't the issue.

Then I thought that maybe the nozzles were plugged. I have had it happen in the past on another vehicle.

I figured to do a little research first, and thanks to this forum, Fiesta ST, I came across this thread, and your comment.

It turns out that the tube was getting crimped in between the hinge and what appears to be a hinge stop, just like yours was, which when the hood is closed, compressed the tube, thus blocking any fluid from going through. I immediately relocated the tube under the hinge stop. Being a cool morning, it stayed compressed, but I went and tried the windshield cleaner anyway, and hurray it once again worked fine. [:)]

After work today, w/the local temperature up around 90, I went and checked the tube, and the compressed portion had expanded such that I had to really look at it to see where it had been crimped. Everything appears to be back to normal once again.

So I thank you, and the discussion here. It pays to do a search about a subject, and if not found, to start a thread asking others. [;)]

OP
Spaceman_Spiff

Spaceman_Spiff

Thread Starter #14
I had the exact same issue as you did, even to the point of no fluid coming out the front nozzles at all, while the rear worked just fine.

At first I thought that the windshield cleaner pump had failed, but of course, the rear was working just fine, so that wasn't the issue.

Then I thought that maybe the nozzles were plugged. I have had it happen in the past on another vehicle.

I figured to do a little research first, and thanks to this forum, Fiesta ST, I came across this thread, and your comment.

It turns out that the tube was getting crimped in between the hinge and what appears to be a hinge stop, just like yours was, which when the hood is closed, compressed the tube, thus blocking any fluid from going through. I immediately relocated the tube under the hinge stop. Being a cool morning, it stayed compressed, but I went and tried the windshield cleaner anyway, and hurray it once again worked fine. [:)]

After work today, w/the local temperature up around 90, I went and checked the tube, and the compressed portion had expanded such that I had to really look at it to see where it had been crimped. Everything appears to be back to normal once again.

So I thank you, and the discussion here. It pays to do a search about a subject, and if not found, to start a thread asking others. [;)]
Good, glad you got it worked out, and the thread helped you out! As an aside, I ended up pulling the slack towards the engine bay, and it seems to be working fine still.