Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I need to know this before I buy this car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but have you test drove it yet? Go test drive it and see if it's okay to YOU. It is there, but it is minimal. On a scale from GTI to Mazdaspeed 3, it is much closer to the GTI at zero.
Maybe the current GTIs have none at all, but even my anemic, 1.8, NA, 16V A2 GTI had some torque steer. [:(]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Let me take this a slightly different direction: Even if the FiST is has the worst torque steer in the world (it absolutely doesn't), it is so ridiculously fun and affordable that you won't care in the slightest.

And like several others have said. Go test drive one (or three) and decide for yourself if it is right for you or not.
THIS!!^^^

I am also hoping (coming from a powerful, and well sorted suspension/handling wise RWD car) that the bolded above is TOTALLY how I feel after taking delivery of, and living with long term, a 'wrong wheel drive', boosted car.

IF even one tenth of the praise/kudos for the car on here is true, and real, then I am SURE that will be the case!! [:)]

Waterfan

Maybe the current GTIs have none at all, but even my anemic, 1.8, NA, 16V A2 GTI had some torque steer. [:(]
Apologies for off topic, but...

It may interest/excite you to know the FiST is almost the same dimensions as the A2 GTI:
Width: +1.7"
Height: +1.5"
Length: +1.0"
Wheelbase: +0.7"

Gross performance comparison:
Weight: +206lbs (8% heavier. Not bad considering you get ~25 years of technology and safety improvements as well)
Power: +63 hp (47% more power!!!)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Apologies for off topic, but...

It may interest/excite you to know the FiST is almost the same dimensions as the A2 GTI:
Width: +1.7"
Height: +1.5"
Length: +1.0"
Wheelbase: +0.7"

Gross performance comparison:
Weight: +206lbs (8% heavier. Not bad considering you get ~25 years of technology and safety improvements as well)
Power: +63 hp (47% more power!!!)
Mine was an earlier (1989) 1.8 'teardrop wheel'/rectangular headlight, 16V A2 with 123 HP, not the latter, 2.0, BBS mesh wheel clad, round headlight, 16V A2 with 130 something HP, so it's actually a 74 HP difference.

There is some. But much more noticeable in the focus st. My mom drive my fist and she compared it to the 89 sho we had. In my memory it's no where near what the sho had.

Waterfan

Mine was an earlier (1989) 1.8 'teardrop wheel'/rectangular headlight, 16V A2 with 123 HP, not the latter, 2.0, BBS mesh wheel clad, round headlight, 16V A2 with 130 something HP, so it's actually a 74 HP difference.
Yup, my comps were based on the 1992 2.0L 16V (134hp). I finally looked up the torque: 110 @ 3400 rpm. ~200 in the FiST makes the huge hp difference almost irrelevant! :)

Hi, I'm really interested in buying a fiesta st soon but I need some opinions about its torque steer. Is the torque steer crazy on this car and will it make it quite annoying to drive all the time? I appreciate your opinions. Thank You!!.
I had a Saab fwd that had some decent turbo lag and torque steer, especially when boost kicked in while cornering. So far I feel like the FiST has minimized the torque steer to the point where it's not an issue for me, even with a stage 1 tune. I agree with all the suggestions to take one out for a test drive if you have that option.

thats weird. I have the opposite opinion. my stock 2016 has torque steer. Under full throttle in first and second I feel it a good amount. Its not annoying, but its definitely there. I cannot let go of the wheel at all under full throttle without the car going one way or another.
Agreed. It's not gawdawful, but it's there.

Sam4

Torque steer, when applied consciously can be a blast! Or, in my old mazdaspeed 3, as long as you've got a firm grip on the wheel! The ST is very mild - the 3 would skip all over the lane.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF it was that bad (on the stock/factory car) when I test drove the FiST (multiple times), I would not have one on order right now.

So I guess it is barely noticeable (and I am coming from a RWD platform which should make me VERY sensitive to this). ;)

LILIKE16ST

I know this is an old tread did you ever get to drive one for yourself OP or better yet purchase a FiST? I never thought torque steer was an issue honestly. The car has a decent power jump from stock via k&n drop in full straight piped stock catback and a livernois motorsports tune. The ladder really woke the car up big time and when the 93 tune is loaded it pretty much gets up and rolling strong by 2500 rpms and even with this and the fact I've took around 100 lbs off the car in total (base model no moonroof/recaro) so it's fairly light probably coming in in the lower 2600 lb range for now and more weight reduction to come in the future.

With all that being said I don't have an issue with toque steer even now. It will spin the tires pretty good ecspecially from a dig or slow roll and on a hard 1-2 shift but I don't really notice torque steer. Car spins but I don't notice any excessive jerking from one side or the other. I have had mustangs that spun and would fishtail and slide spinning hard on low mph roll punches or dig runs and on hard 1-2 shifts they would want to send the ass end of the car to the right spinning. I guess having been used to that the spinning my FiST does doesn't seem to be anything crazy to me at all and honestly I really don't even notice torque steer per say. Spinning yes dancing all over the lane from side to side no. When I still had my 195/55/15 bfg sc2 uhp summer tires on my summer wheels (td pro race 1.2 in a 15x8) on the car as it first started dipping down into the 20s-30s around here before I switched back to the stock black rados and stock Michelin all seasons for winter the car would spin bad from a roll 1st gear punch and it would spin like crazy on a hard 1-2 shift it would even spin while rolling from a punch in 2nd gear and even 3rd gear sometimes.

The Michelin all seasons do MUCH MUCH better than the bfg IF the temps are cold like they are now. Not nearly as much spinning and they're not terrible in the snow either. Really cold temps and uhp summer tires dont mix well at all lol. Even when it was spinning that bad the torque steer was minimal at most. Just throwing that out there for anyone else who might be curious about Torque steer in the FiST.

Michael

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When I still had my 195/55/15 bfg sc2 uhp summer tires on my summer wheels (td pro race 1.2 in a 15x8) on the car as it first started dipping down into the 20s-30s around here before I switched back to the stock black rados and stock Michelin all seasons for winter the car would spin bad from a roll 1st gear punch and it would spin like crazy on a hard 1-2 shift it would even spin while rolling from a punch in 2nd gear and even 3rd gear sometimes.

The Michelin all seasons do MUCH MUCH better than the bfg IF the temps are cold like they are now. Not nearly as much spinning and they're not terrible in the snow either. Really cold temps and uhp summer tires dont mix well at all lol.
The other point that most forget about concerning the cold ambients and traction is that it is the WORST combination for ANY tire to get traction due to the (even IF slight) power bump the cold temps allow due to the ECU giving max timing advance (on 93 at least), and the cold air super chilling the intake charge, YES, even with the 'weak sauce' factory intercooler, let alone a higher capacity aftermarket one, combined with the cold pavement/tires killing any possibility of traction. [wink]