Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford to Offer Apple CarPlay, Android Auto on All New 2017 Models

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
2017-Ford-Mustang-with-Apple-CarPlay.jpg

http://www.motortrend.com/news/ford...=10153891872346312&adbpl=fb&adbpr=18332466311

7/26/2016 - MT

Ford will offer Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone compatibility on all 2017 model-year vehicles, the automaker said in a statement today. The move is a big step for Ford, considering none of its 2016 models offered the smartphone integration features.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be available on all 2017 models via Ford?s new SYNC 3 connectivity platform. The system replaces the heavily criticized, often unresponsive MyFord Touch system.

?We developed one platform ? SYNC 3 ? and have been able to quickly offer the technology across our lineup,? said Chuck Gray, global director for Electrical and Electronic Systems Engineering, in a statement. ?Customers considering a new vehicle can now choose any 2017 model year Ford car, SUV, light truck, or electrified vehicle with SYNC 3 and be able to access their favorite apps.?

Thanks to the rapid rollout, Ford will offer more models with smartphone integration than any other automaker except General Motors, reports Automotive News. GM has 32 models with Apple CarPlay, while Ford is bringing out 22. More than 120 models on the market are compatible with CarPlay.

Ford is already selling certain 2017 model-year vehicles, including the Escape, Explorer, Fusion, and Mustang. The Edge, F-150, Focus, and Super Duty trucks will arrive later this year.

Unlike Ford, other automakers have gradually introduced Apple CarPlay and Android Auto across their lineups one vehicle at a time. Some popular models that offer smartphone integration include the 2016 Honda Civic and Accord, 2016 Volkswagen Jetta and Passat, 2016 Kia Optima, and 2016 Hyundai Sonata.

Apple CarPlay allows drivers to access their phone?s music, Siri voice controls, Apple Maps, and messaging through the car?s touchscreen. Android Auto has similar functions, integrating Google?s features including Google Maps into the car.

[HR][/HR]

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ty-of-sync-3-plus-apple-carplay--android.html

DEARBORN, Mich., July 25, 2016 ? Ford is expanding its SYNC 3 connectivity platform ? allowing compatibility of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto ? throughout its entire 2017 U.S. vehicle lineup of cars, SUVs, light trucks and electrified vehicles.

Ford, using its platform-centric approach ? creating a technology for its lineup versus going vehicle by vehicle ? has been able to swiftly roll out SYNC 3 plus Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. And future, over-the-air updates via Wi-Fi will help ensure it keeps up with the latest technology.

?We developed one platform ? SYNC 3 ? and have been able to quickly offer the technology across our lineup,? said Chuck Gray, Ford Global Director, Electrical and Electronic Systems Engineering. ?Customers considering a new vehicle can now choose any 2017 model year Ford car, SUV, light truck, or electrified vehicle with SYNC 3 and be able to access their favorite apps.?

Popular nameplates like the Escape, Fusion, Mustang and Explorer are already available as 2017 model-year vehicles at dealerships and others like the F-150, Focus, Edge and all-new 2017 Super Duty will arrive later this year.

?SYNC 3 is already a major leap forward in terms of functionality, simplicity, and user experience ? Ford?s promise that every new model now ships ?Smartphone-ready? is huge,? said Jeffrey Hannah, Director of North America for global automotive technology research firm SBD. ?Ford is not taking the traditional approach of introducing Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto on a few piecemeal models or as an expensive option on luxury vehicles only. The guesswork for consumers is over ? if you buy any 2017 Ford vehicle with SYNC 3, you drive off the lot with both of these innovative technologies ready to go.?

As part of Ford?s effort to present convenient, easy-to-use mobility solutions, SYNC 3 features all-new hardware and software for faster and more intuitive performance and more conversational voice recognition to help people easily connect to their smartphone and access a variety of features, including hands-free phone calls and available navigation.

Apps such as Spotify, Pandora, Ford PASS, AccuWeather and AAA member services have been added through SYNC AppLink?.

Compatible with iPhone 5 and later models, CarPlay provides a simplified way to use your iPhone interface on a car?s touch screen, giving users access to Siri voice controls, as well as Apple Maps, Apple Music, Phone, Messages, and a variety of third party apps.

Android Auto is available on devices with Android 5.0 and higher and similarly delivers Google Maps and music to a car?s screen while enabling voice controls for phone calls and messaging.

Apple, Apple CarPlay, iPhone, Apple Maps, and Siri are trademarks of Apple Inc. Android Auto, Google, Google Play and other marks are trademarks of Google Inc.

Bluedrank

It sure would be nice if they were less secretive about the previously announced 2016 backwards compatibility. We already know iPhone users will have to pay to have something added to the car to support CarPlay, chalk up another win for Android users. Now Ford just needs to deliver on their promises.

rlrogers

I've been waiting for this too but why do iPhone users have to pay and what are we paying for? It seems like the software upgrade would handle CarPlay for all especially since CarPlay is an Apple software. Makes no sense. (Or as Trump would say..."makes no cents") LOL

Bluedrank

I've been waiting for this too but why do iPhone users have to pay and what are we paying for? It seems like the software upgrade would handle CarPlay for all especially since CarPlay is an Apple software. Makes no sense. (Or as Trump would say..."makes no cents") LOL
Ehh, that's the price you pay for owning a low-tech / restrictive device I suppose, no offense :). https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync...upport.html?year=2016&model=Fiesta&sync=sync3

Here is the Sync 3 manual for when they release CarPlay. On the page, you'll find this...

"Note: Apple CarPlay is available on 2017 model year Ford vehicles with compatible SYNC 3. Owners of 2016 model year Ford vehicles with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software upgrade and purchase a hardware upgrade to use Apple CarPlay. Please check back on the Ford Owner site this summer for more information about these upgrades."

This is the message on the corresponding Android Auto page. https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/sync-3/android-auto/sync-3-plus-android-auto.html

"Note: Android Auto is available on 2017 model year Ford vehicles with compatible SYNC 3. Owners of 2016 model year Ford vehicles with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software upgrade to use Android Auto. Please check back on the Ford Owner site this summer for more information about this upgrade."

If I had to guess, it's some adapter that makes the phone think the car is an Apple approved device. Whatever the reason, there's a 100% change that it's due to Apple not allowing people to play in their sandbox unless they get paid a royalty. I imagine Ford initially wasn't planning on having CarPlay or Android Auto functionality when Sync 3 originally launched, which would mean they didn't build that tiny piece of hardware into the system to begin with.

With all the anti-consumer "features" their phones include, or will include in the future like the ability for venues (or governments) to buy a device that disables your ability to take pictures with your phone, I'm consistently shocked that people are still tricked into buying their products.

rlrogers

Thanks for the info. Hopefully my hardware upgrade will include an RCA port for a backup camera. <G>

I've been waiting for the announcement on what we need to do to upgrade to Car Play. All they've done here is tell us more directly what they already announced before: it will be available. Great. When???? They keep floating dates and not sticking to it.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I spoke to a Ford rep on their online chat and they still don't know anything about the release date. He did say, however, that it may be a dealer-installed upgrade. I hope not... I'm hopeful that it only applies to the CarPlay users since there is additional hardware needed.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
With all the anti-consumer "features" their phones include, or will include in the future like the ability for venues (or governments) to buy a device that disables your ability to take pictures with your phone, I'm consistently shocked that people are still tricked into buying their products.
Around the area I live, their products are considered a 'must have/standard issue' type of status symbol, to the point of being ridiculed/laughed at for being seen working on anything but a top of the line, top $$$$ Mac Daddy laptop, notebook, or iPad, let alone their phones. [mad] [thumbdown]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Apple makes buku $$$$$$ from charging companies to use their overpriced proprietary standards that sometimes reinvent the wheel. One way or another it'll be consumers that ultimately pay for that.

Don't force all consumers to pay for that. Make it an option and charge the few who actually want it. Most of all though, make it easy to purchase and integrate. The current Sync system in the 2016 shows you the possibility of adding apps, but with no obvious or practical way to obtain them. Bottom line ? You make no sales, and the system you all worked so hard on, goes unused.

Rather than a bit-by-bit integration, just implement something like Microsoft's Continuum, where with the acceptance of a disclaimer, (per ignition cycle,) the in-car screen and radio becomes a touch-screen monitor for the phone; radio, the phone's speakers. Think of it as "Remote Desktop for Phones." That would make much more sense as opposed to wasting all sorts of dough, playing Apple's little game of, "let's repeatedly milk the integration cow."

Bluedrank

Wow some of you act as if you have some sort of monetary stake with these electronic devices
Maybe some of us do, tech stocks like Google and Apple are a pretty safe investment. Or, maybe some of us just value things that you don't. Personally, as an expert in digital security and technology, I place a lot of value in personal privacy and choice. Both of those things are against Apple's company vision, so I am anti-Apple.

joesiris

no stakes at all, just saying wouldn't it be nice to get in the car and have the phone connect as easy as the iPhone does. The sync 3 is far better already at doing this that many others. for some vehicles (i.e. the kia rio I had to rent a few weeks ago) getting your android phone to connect to it was like preforming surgery, but when I picked up a buddy of mine, he was able to connect his iPhone immediately. Nothing against apple, Ive always been a galaxy guy, but in an apple dominated world, a 1up for android would be great.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
While Nexus represents a tiny portion of the market, modified versions of it's Android O/S by far have the greatest market share over any other option including Apple Phone and it's proprietary iOS.

Personally haven't had any reliability issues between Sync 3 and Windows Phone 10 on a Nokia. Media starts and plays from where it left off the moment the radio is activated; no interaction necessary. You do have to interact with the phone directly to select different media or use mapping; and strangely, disconnect to hear turn-by-turn directions from the phone's GPS. Hands-free calling seems to work flawlessly. You just have to make sure that you turn off your bluetooth earpiece before the radio has a chance to power up.