Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Paint problem

Image1469472531.345461.jpg Image1469472548.575109.jpg

Hey guys, I was cleaning my car yesterday and while drying the car off this paint chip flicked right off! On a side note there have been no other paint issues and I have been very lucky with few paint chips and no scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem in various places on my car. I have tried getting the dealer to do something about chips on the outside of the hood but they told me not to follow so close. Haven't been back since I found the issues like you are having.

I would just contact your dealer. I have a small flake off my hatch right in the crease left of the license plate, and my local dealer said no problem to making it right.

OP
G
Thread Starter #4
Well that gives me hope. I plan on reaching out to my dealership about it.

OP
G
Thread Starter #5
Update: Took it to the Ford dealership and they covered the paint defect pictured in post above under warranty. I asked for a borrower vehicle and one was provided for me. Every thing was super smooth and at no cost to me. I do have to go back tomorrow, they forgot to put that rubber stopper back on.

I have had my whole hood painted on the underside and the topside all around the front bumper for the paint peeling all over just like your picture. I also had the hatch where you mentioned and the passenger door jam also peeled getting the rear quarter panel repainted under warranty as well. I didn't get a loaner though. I have tried getting chips and scratches (some very deep) and clear coat bubbling and couldn't get any of that covered. I tried bringing it to corporate but they say there is nothing they can do about paint. There isn't even an option for an extended warranty on it! Makes me wonder how many other Fiestas have the same problem. Mines a 14 manufactured in May. If enough of us have this problem I imagine we could get better coverage from Ford in making sure it's not a problem in the future, that's what I told corporate was my main concern as about a 3rd of my car has had some kind of paint touch up.

OP
G
Thread Starter #8
I'll be keeping an eye on hood paint. When the guy came out with me to see the rubber piece I was talking about he said "didn't we do the hood on this thing? Thought I saw the hood off in the shop and thats what these cars are normally in here for with the warranty claims". I said as far as I know just the trunk... They also said they have never seen my color code before and its a hard one to match, gotta love the green envy tri-coat. I've been really into detailing my car keeping it super clean in and out. But its ridiculous the amount of dirt and grime that makes its way into the door jams of this car. I also frequently detail a 2013 Honda CRV and the door jams are BARELY dirty and just a simple wash and the paint on the Honda is gleaming.

Also having paint problems with my 2015 Tuxedo Black Metallic. Seems to be clear-coat related. Sorry about the dark lighting conditions,
but you can see along the height of the door near my fingertips, the paint/clear-coat/something seems to be bubbling. Honestly, it looks like rust from beneath the paint.

Also, I found this at the bottom of the doors.

Last edited:
Already have an appt set. Will keep everyone posted. Anyone else have these sort of issues? I know there were a lot of threads concerning how easily rocks chipped the paint. Couldnt find much on corrosion issues.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Some of these look like moisture under the paint.......don't think it is a rain problem in Mexico so it sounds like bad QC in the paint shop. Dripping sweat or spilled water bottles is all I can think of for these isolated spots. I have read about the chipped paint on the hoods from rocks but have experienced none in 12K miles so far. Some paint formulations are more resiliant (softer and flexible like used on flexible bumpers) others are rock hard. I have the White Platinum color.....could it be more resiliant than the others due to formulation?

Some of these look like moisture under the paint.......don't think it is a rain problem in Mexico so it sounds like bad QC in the paint shop. Dripping sweat or spilled water bottles is all I can think of for these isolated spots. I have read about the chipped paint on the hoods from rocks but have experienced none in 12K miles so far. Some paint formulations are more resiliant (softer and flexible like used on flexible bumpers) others are rock hard. I have the White Platinum color.....could it be more resiliant than the others due to formulation?
Other than this I've had no problem with my tux black metallic. I definitely get rock chips here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. If anything, I think the paint is holding up well considering my windshield has more chips on it. Ford is reviewing the pictures the dealership took and will get back to me. Looks like it's off to the body shop. They better blend that shit well. I take immaculate care of my car and it always seems to get the most beat up when it goes in for these warranty repairs. 😥

jayrod1980

Wow, that's terrible. I have some chipping off on the underside of the hood, but I figured it was due to painting a seam (paint is always thinner and more brittle at the seams and edges). Other than that it's great paint! Ford paint jobs are light years ahead of my Subaru WRX, which was crap from the day I bought it (otherwise mostly a bulletproof car).

I love the White Platinum Tri-Coat so much I own two cars with it... my ST and a 2011 Flex Ecoboost.

Sorry you had all these problems... and if your dealership was that helpful with the paint chip on the trunk, I would definitely consider it a keeper. The worst part of owning a Ford is their utter crap dealership network. I love their cars, but loathe their dealership service network. I've found exactly one decent, honest, and competent Ford service department in the 15 years I've owned Fords.

I haven't noticed any paint problems on the FiST (Oxford White), but my wife's 2014 Escape (Ruby Red Metallic) has paint bubbling along the bottoms of three of its doors. I'll be making an appointment with our local dealer's paint and body shop shortly.

FB

Update: Ford approved repairs on three of the four doors. Driver door was not bad enough I guess. Vehicle will be off to the paint/body shop next week. Not too worried as it's all within the door jams; hopefully blending the pearl won't be an issue.