Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Zamp Racing Helmets RZ-44C Review

With the new SA helmet requirements now in place I assume many of you were like me and in need of a new helmet. I was lucky enough to have Zamp Racing Helmets Sponsor the Fiesta this autocross season. They were generous enough to get me into their new for 2015 RZ-44C Carbon Composite Helmet. The helmet is SA2015 compliant so I won't have to worry about getting a new helmet for the next 10 years! Included with the RZ-44C are a set of front and rear stick on spoilers and ear muffs in case you have a car that is louder than most. It also features M6 post anchors for a HANS device and a hole in the front that allows the use of a drink straw if desired.

After using it for the first half of this season I can say this is one of the nicest helmets for the money available today. At around $500 Im confident you couldn't find a better helmet.

The carbon composite structure is lightweight which is a huge plus. This full face helmet is lighter than my old Bell open face Sport Mag. Neck strain is kept to a minimum. The interior material is nice. Not the nicest material I've felt in a helmet but still nice and comfortable. The head shape was a little odd at first but after wearing it a few times and breaking it in it has become very comfortable as well. The helmet does not cause headaches due to odd pressure points as others I have worn. There are plenty of vents in this helmet which promote great airflow. The front and top vents are designed to allow the use of a blower system if you have one. You just need to buy the air adapter. I am a pretty big fan of the way the helmet looks as well. The carbon fiber is clear coated which gives it a nice gloss shine.

All in all I am very happy with this helmet. It has plenty of features that you won't find on other helmets unless you move up the price range. I would highly recommend the RZ-44C to anyone looking for a versatile, lightweight, SA2015 compliant helmet. You will not regret your decision.
image4.JPG image3.JPG image2.JPG image1.JPG

That's a lot of helmet for autocross. Can you explain the SA2015 requirements and what rating it's replacing?

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
That's a lot of helmet for autocross. Can you explain the SA2015 requirements and what rating it's replacing?
Admittedly it is a lot of helmet for autocross. I also have a 73 Porsche that I take to the track as well so I wanted a little more than just a basic helmet for autocross.

The SA requirements are a set of standards that most sanctioning bodies follow for helmets. They are updated every 5 years to make the helmets safer. Most sanctioning bodies require a helmet to follow the last two standards. So this year SCCA allows a SA2010 and SA2015 to be used. When the SA2020 standards come out the SA2010 helmets will no longer be allowed for competition. This is a good thing because the interior foam padding tends to degrade over time and the materials used in the shells also tend to get brittle with age.

To my understanding the new SA2015 standards did not change much over the 2010. The only major change was the requirement for the post anchors to be included for HANS device attachment. Not a big deal for autocrossers since most people don't wear a HANS on an autocross course but if you plan on wearing one or using the helmet on a track this is a welcome addition.

Any other questions I would be happy to answer.

Honestly any of Zamps helmets are great for the money. They offer some that are just over $100 that would be more than enough for the casual autocrosser.

Admittedly it is a lot of helmet for autocross. I also have a 73 Porsche that I take to the track as well so I wanted a little more than just a basic helmet for autocross.

The SA requirements are a set of standards that most sanctioning bodies follow for helmets. They are updated every 5 years to make the helmets safer. Most sanctioning bodies require a helmet to follow the last two standards. So this year SCCA allows a SA2010 and SA2015 to be used. When the SA2020 standards come out the SA2010 helmets will no longer be allowed for competition. This is a good thing because the interior foam padding tends to degrade over time and the materials used in the shells also tend to get brittle with age.

To my understanding the new SA2015 standards did not change much over the 2010. The only major change was the requirement for the post anchors to be included for HANS device attachment. Not a big deal for autocrossers since most people don't wear a HANS on an autocross course but if you plan on wearing one or using the helmet on a track this is a welcome addition.

Any other questions I would be happy to answer.

Honestly any of Zamps helmets are great for the money. They offer some that are just over $100 that would be more than enough for the casual autocrosser.
Thanks for the explanation. Being a motorcycle rider I'm accustomed to the Snell rating standards but didn't know about motorsports helmets.