Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Back to the Ridge July 30 -- a little improvement...

meFiSTo

I was able to go back to The Ridge in Shelton on Saturday. I had a great time with the Cantrell Motorsports crew.

In brief: The day was cool and a little breezy in the afternoon. Car ran flawlessly. I had one slight off.

Here's a video of a few relatively clear laps.

[video=youtube;jols2ftkuiE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jols2ftkuiE[/video]

You can find more details in my build thread. That includes a video of my little off, with notes.

Car sounds like a beast coming out onto the front straight.
What camber were you running in the front? Seems a bit understeery at turn 12
One thing I notice is for turn 8A you turn in rather late (all the way to the yellow cone),
I would try turning a bit earlier and carrying more speed into that corner (brake less), let the car push out to the left naturally for turn 8B
This can be hard on the brake due to the torque vectoring but in my experience is a faster line.

Similarly with turn 7, it's not really a turn and you shouldn't need to turn right at all between T6 exit and T8A
When you unwind out of the carousel, aim for the white cone/curb on the right (you can see it briefly at 3:03/3:04)
This is kind of a blind curb but if you know where it is it might shave 0.5-1.0s off.
It will give you a pretty much perfect straight line to T8A entry so it's more direct and less distance travelled.
You also get to unwind your steering wheel earlier thus flat out earlier.
That being said, very low cars can't take this line as it's more likely to scrape a front lip when the road dips

At 2:28, what gear are you going up 2/3 in? With our torquey motors the car should be pulling well enough up that hill rather than slowing down

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #3
Hey man! Thanks for your notes. I'll play around with some of this on my next visit.

I can't seem to get much more than -1 deg of camber. My suspension shop has worked on it, but says I need add control arm shims or add a camber kit to the strut tower. We'll see, but not likely. I suspect my wanting to keep a tall ride height is not helping.

I get that about the T6 exit to T8A, but I've bounced a few times coming over that hill. it's why I move a little to the left to come down the hill. It's got less drop off to the left.

There is a tradeoff between optimizing time and wear-and-tear on the car. So far, my car has held up very well; no issues with the stock brake hardware (fingers crossed). Just Carbotech pads, Torque RT700 fluid, and teflon lines and it's been all good so far. But: I am comparatively easy on brakes (early, then off).

As for gearing, I'm trying to stay in as high a gear as possible with the stock turbo. I've been playing with 4th up that hill, sometimes 3. I'm going to work on carrying more speed up and over the crest. If I can do that, 4th should work well.

Having said all that, I'm mostly out to have a good time and get better/smoother. Sometimes going for the fastest time you can do throws "smoother" out the window a little bit.

Hope to see you around out there Justin! Take care.