Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Huntington Beach
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    DAAM RAAM, I've seen you imparting your wisdom around but this might be the first time I've actually seen pictures of it....it looks amazing. And now I really want to do something like that under-tray, how much does that help areo? Or was it more just to protect the engine?

Senior Member 397 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Knowing the way Rick tries to think out/enginner everything, I'm surprised that car does not have a full underbody tray replete with functional venturi tunnels!! LOL
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Member 119 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Carson City
    State
    NV
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M-Sport fan View Post
    Knowing the way Rick tries to think out/enginner everything, I'm surprised that car does not have a full underbody tray replete with functional venturi tunnels!! LOL
    He's talked about doing it!

Member 34 Rep Points TapTapPull's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Prince George
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations, Rick! Well-deserved and overdue!
    Boomba Racing | COBB | Mishimoto | mountune | Redline Goods

Senior Member 632 Rep Points Fiesta ST of the Month Winner

Medals
    City
    Carson City
    State
    NV
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks again:)

1) I added a big duct to the undertray to pull more air out of the engine bay, as per the race shop managers recommendation at the Ford Race shop at MMP, recently reading all the testing done and being a pain in the arse to pull the unit off for any maintenance, which all highly modded cars require, points hit in the TT class I was aiming at, I cut off the back half at the start of the wheel well openings. I was never able to fully test the effects of the longer version but my car was exceptionally stable at very high speeds and just a bit less so now, I am OK with how it turned out.

2) My last project started at a really clean 95 M3 but ended up totally nuts, trunk floor cut out and rebuilt into a dual level adjustable diffuser, custom wing, totally smoothed body, E46 SCL bumper cover, 2300lbs, 600 WHP forged LS(built for boost up to 1,100HP if "needed", dog box, tubular suspension, 3-way Ohlins, full spherical joints everywhere, AP brakes, dog box, 5.25" clutch... That is the car I was next going to do a fully ducted underbody but I decided to retire and realized I was not enough driver for such a car, the cage was absolutely nuts, posted pics before but cannot right now.

I actually prefer the FiST over the full race C5 and highly modded C6 Vettes I had, the rest of the latest years projects, probably my favorite all time car was the 510's I modded for 10 years but the FiST might take that title, damn fine car, easy to work on, tough as nails and far safer than many cars due to how well built but also tiny and nimble and can get out of the way!
    2014 ST, Silver, Street/Track/Audio
    2012 Duramax Dually, Audio, Custom Leather, etc.....
    2012 Voltage 3905 Toyhauler, modded of course!

Medals
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not know you built your little track monster to any set (NASA?) TT class rules.

That '95 M3 LSx build; You weren't really thinking of throwing a snail(s) on it, were you?!?
    Who's dog box did you use?
    Quick Time bell housing? Tilton, QM, AP, or Exedy clutch?
    That thing sounds NUTS.
    Were you building for a TT class, or just to scare the crap out of yourself while having fun on open track days?

You don't go back to the Bob Sharp 510 era, do you? (If so, you are even more ancient than I am! LOL )

Medals
    City
    Carson City
    State
    NV
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Great questions!

I have never built a car to any rule set, just built what I wanted then read the rules and adjusted the car a bit if needed to be at least be competitive but never to be the top dog as always the wrong car except back in my 510 days, 1972-1982. I had the original championship shift knob insert and dash badges from the era in one of my 510's. I have found it far more rewarding to beat all but one or two cars in a well built class with an underdog car than winning most of the time in the right car for the class.

I wanted the M3 to be the fastest E36 NA on a race track, ever, and not have huge TT style aero, the snail issue was it just came out that way with a 7,800 RPM engine, which it takes to make big NA HP out of 5.7 liters, the comp ratio was only 10 to 1. I had a built S54 I was going to use but came across a killer deal on the built LS so changed plans to accommodate it.

I had not picked the dog box yet when I decided I had to part the car out to live well financially when I decided to retire or not mashed into a wall at .....MPH.....it was more car than I really wanted to drive on unknown tracks once I talked to some buddies more experienced in high power to weight ratio cars.

QM rally spec 2 disk clutch, they helped me pick it as it could be slipped a bit in the pits and easier trailer loading. I used a Vette starter ring with the button flywheel bolted to it, I was under 3 lbs for those parts, if I recall ring, flywheel and clutch around 7lbs or so.

Deff to scar the crap out of myself, though I did not know it at the time, as mentioned above I was warned it might not be that fun for a guy not used to such a car and just driving on tracks of my dreams. I contacted several BMW race shop owners that were championship winning racers that wanted to drive it so was going to take it tracks where I could really seal what I built did.

I go back a ways, turned 64 last May:)

Medals
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, It DOES take a 'screamer' motor to make big power out of an NA, stock displacement, LS1 especially with that stock comp ratio.

But, it CAN be done with a huge cam, great intake/exhaust, a nuke-proof valve train, and enough fueling. :)
    (With that feather weight clutch/flywheel setup, that thing must've revved to 6 grand in microseconds just by LOOKING at the throttle!!)

HA! You only have me by about 2.5 years! (62 in September)

Medals
    City
    Huntington Beach
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rick if you're ever in SoCal let me know, I'd like to buy you a beer just to hear all the crazy shit you've done to your cars haha

Medals
    City
    Carson City
    State
    NV
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The LS1 was built for a V8 stock car road race Camaro, it was their spare and only raced once at the end of the season when they changed the rules requiring LS3 crate engines for the next year. It had all the trick parts to actually spin well over 8,000 RPM but I forget exactly how high, seems like it was something nuts like 8,800 but I sure could be wrong as I recall the heads were not even ported. I lost all my email awhile back so not able to look up the specs, racer I bought it from, etc....Upon receipt I opened it up and it was indeed like brand new, all top quality parts, forged crank, rods, pistons, valve train high end parts, etc....They built the engine well beyond what it had to do then tuned it down to make it last and meet the rules then would race a whole season on one engine and never broke one in the years they ran them, good plan. I only paid around $5k shipped for it!

Unfortunately I never got to run it as I decided to part the car before it was finished but I know it would of been pretty damn fun spinning up like it would, the only accessory being the race alt I was installing and electric water pump:)

--------------------

2.5 years is a drop in the bucket the way the years fly by as we get a bit less young, percentage wise you are catching up daily in fact;)

--------------------

I do not get to SoCal often but might in the spring, wanted to this spring but ran out of time, then in the summer decided to hot as already stuck in AZ far to long, had to get back north to much better weather, I would certainly accept a nice cold brew if or when I am down there again:)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast