Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

July 2016 Fiesta of the Month Winner - RAAMaudio

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account

User Name: RAAMaudio [MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION]
Year of Vehicle: 2014
Color of Vehicle: Ingot Silver

Current Modifications
Power mods:
  • DHM GT2560R w/billet compressor (already had the 1st Cyborg, 1st DHM EFR, now the GT)
  • DHM Race grade catted DP with Tial Ext WG back into DP
  • Water Cooled WG with custom fittings and hoses to help long term reliability on track driven car
  • DHM custom Ext Recric BOV, DIY modded to fit my DIY intake.
  • CPE Cold side IC pipe with WMI bung, without Symposer port, heat wrapped.
  • DHM tubular bumper and BIG IC lowed 2 inches to expose more of the other coolers.
  • AEM WMI from Tune+ mouinted in sealed inclosure in spare tire, window washer pump in WMI tank
  • 1 step colder plugs from Tune+
  • 3" DIY SS exhaust,3" Vband inlet, Vibrant 5" resonator, Borla race muffler Vband/ for muffler delete race pipe, single tip on both
  • DIY real CAI, velocity stack in grill, mini keg filter housing, AEM dry filter, 3" ported, heat wrapped IC piping
  • Cobb AP with Race Tuner
  • Elite Engineering OCC, DIY modded to fit FiST, aluminum check valve added.
  • Tune+ tuning just getting going on the new turbo

Cooling:
  • Mishimoto MMRAD-T200-94 Celica GT radiator, DIY custom install
  • Mishimoto aluminum expansion tank, tapped to fit AN fittings for turbo cooling with SS lines.
  • Setrab dual pass oil cooler offset to passenger side, 40% of outlet flows to engine bay instead of into other
  • coolers, Mocal Tstat plate, heat wrapped push on hoses, AN fittings.
  • Grill opened up for full air flow
  • Radiator support sections opened up for more flow
  • ABS sheet molded to seal IC, main grill, radiator, maximum flow through the coolers
  • Water wetter with 25% or less antifreeze so more distilled water(winter mix in place now)
  • Alternator cooling ducted from grill

Drivetrain:
  • DIY drivers side transaxle mount cover, DIY urethane filled, passenger side filled, top section lightened
  • Cobb Rear Engine Mount
  • Quaife LSD,
  • Motul 300 gear lube
  • DIY shifter cable mount bushings, cut and realigned mount
  • DIY short shifter, very short and precise throws
  • DIY shifter mount in console raised and stiffened, 2.75" lift

Brakes:
  • Front 11.75" DIY/Fastbrakes, 6 piston Wilwood BBK for 15" wheels, GT rotors, SS lines
  • Rear, 11" DIY kes 4 piston Wilwood BBK with integrated Fastbrakes parking brake levers, GT rotors, SS lines
  • Wilwood BP-10 street pads, Carbotech XP12 Front XP8 rear track pads
  • Castrol SRF brake fluid, the best!
  • DIY Brake ducts fed from center of splitter

Suspension/steering:
  • 4x100 DIY bolt pattern re-bore for more wheel options, first to do this to the FiST
  • Gun Runner aluminum steering rack bushings
  • BC Racing coilovers, 8/7k Swift springs
  • PowerFlex urethane bushings in full suspension and front sway bar.
  • DIY rear axle mod, -1.9 camber, 0 toe, by cutting and re-welding knuckle mounts
  • Front camber set to -2.5 by modifying strut towers(wheels to wide to do it at the strut/knuckle bolts)
  • Steeda adjustable front sway bar links
  • ARP wheel studs

Wheels and tires, all wheels are 4x100
  • (4)15x9 Konig Helix 13.4lbs, roll formed, BFG 225/45/15 Rival S for street
  • (6)15x9 Konig Helix 13.4lbs, roll formed, Toyo RA1 DOT race tires, 225/45/15 on all four corners
  • (4)15x8 949 Racing 6UL, roll formed, 11.4lbs each, 205/50/15 Neo Gen AS tires, 31lbs per corner!
  • DIY Fender rolling to fit wide wheels and tires
  • Gorilla short, open end security lug nuts, very low weight

Interior: 175 lbs removed so far
  • Autometer 3 way programmable shift light, set up to keep from over revving on short straights, etc....
  • No Pistons SS dead pedal
  • Rear seat delete
  • Spare tire and jack delete
  • Halatron fire extinguisher at base of drivers seat, close to grab it if ever needed
  • Alumalite rear cargo wall, aluminum framework, very low weight, very strong.
  • Alumalite lined cargo cover for more secure cargo storage

Body:
  • Tripple R splitter, SS all thread support rod to DHM crash bar
  • DIY Alumalite undertray integrated into TR splitter
  • Seibon RS style vented CF hood
  • Aerocatch locking hood pins, stock latch, cables, etc, removed
  • Morimoto LED stop, tail, turn, parking bulbs
  • LED, 800 Lumin back up lights
  • LED full interior swap
  • DIY aluminum and stainless steel separate sealed containers for WMI tank, pump and battery built into trunk floor.

Misc:
  • Viper long range 2-way alarm
  • rear mount gel cell battery
  • all engine bay hard plastic formed lines replaced with HD hose, SS wire wrapped to ensure securely attached.
  • Window tint, 20%

Future Modifications
  • Alumalite floor for back seat, custom cushions for out dogs to ride on, carpet area and rear cargo area
  • 3" LED projector headlights, 2" LED DRL lights in place of high beams
  • 48" APR race wing with CF DIY mounts to hatch door
  • diffuser

Reason Why I Chose the Fiesta ST
We needed a car that was short and light enough to fit into the back of a toyhauler trailer and fit two 95 lb dogs, groceries and us as well as run with very fast cars on road race tracks. I was in the middle of building a $40k 97 BMW 318ti CA Edition when on vacation in CA drove the FiST, took my wife for a drive, we both had to have it, we fell in love with it immediately and took it home to UT were we lived at the time and still love the car though done far more to it than planned:)

meFiSTo

Congratulations [MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION]. Well deserved recognition of a major contributor to the forum for a great project to expand the Fiesta ST platform. Most folks won't take their cars this far, but we can all take bits and pieces from what you've done and apply the thinking.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
CONGRATS to RAAMaudio for FINALLY getting this honor! [thumb]

Few have taken this platform as far as he has, short of the all out, fully caged, time attack, touring car, and rally people, and they do not have to worry about street legality at all (except for the WRC/national rally cars which ARE driven on public roads for their transits), or ANY type of practicality/utility which Rick must have.

I WISH that I could do 1/20th of the fully functional performance mods he did to make this FiST into the insane little street legal road race car it is, to mine when it is finally delivered!

GAbOS

I've met this guy. He's exactly how you see his cars. Dedicated and on point. It took too long to make it to the list but just at the right time.

joesiris

Wow, nice ride, congrats! I'm new to the site and new to the fiesta, only having mine for 2 weeks now, but you've shown me a long list of potential that the car has, thanks.

TempeST

Congrats Bud! It's about time you got this. It's been a long time coming. Now maybe everyone can see your list of mods and know you mean business with everything you say! Again congrats! Very well deserved

TempeST

Here is another one of the car! This one is quite old but with his helix wheels on it.

image.jpeg

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thanks everyone, you votes and very nice comments are very much appreciated:)

The last pictured makes the car look taller than it is, must be the pavement angles it is sitting on, other pics show the wheels much more tucked in and looks lower but not slammed as I would never mess up my suspension by doing so.

I hope our changing plans for how we live allow us to keep the car but if I have to let it go I hope it can go to one of the great members here that would appreciate all the time and love I put into it, truly may of been my most fun build yet even though I have built far more expensive projects from far more expensive cars this one is just a rare breed, in line with icons like the 510's I drove for 10 years starting in 1972.

DAAM RAAM, I've seen you imparting your wisdom around but this might be the first time I've actually seen pictures of it....it looks amazing. And now I really want to do something like that under-tray, how much does that help areo? Or was it more just to protect the engine?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Knowing the way Rick tries to think out/enginner everything, I'm surprised that car does not have a full underbody tray replete with functional venturi tunnels!! LOL

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thanks again:)

1) I added a big duct to the undertray to pull more air out of the engine bay, as per the race shop managers recommendation at the Ford Race shop at MMP, recently reading all the testing done and being a pain in the arse to pull the unit off for any maintenance, which all highly modded cars require, points hit in the TT class I was aiming at, I cut off the back half at the start of the wheel well openings. I was never able to fully test the effects of the longer version but my car was exceptionally stable at very high speeds and just a bit less so now, I am OK with how it turned out.

2) My last project started at a really clean 95 M3 but ended up totally nuts, trunk floor cut out and rebuilt into a dual level adjustable diffuser, custom wing, totally smoothed body, E46 SCL bumper cover, 2300lbs, 600 WHP forged LS(built for boost up to 1,100HP if "needed", dog box, tubular suspension, 3-way Ohlins, full spherical joints everywhere, AP brakes, dog box, 5.25" clutch... That is the car I was next going to do a fully ducted underbody but I decided to retire and realized I was not enough driver for such a car, the cage was absolutely nuts, posted pics before but cannot right now.

I actually prefer the FiST over the full race C5 and highly modded C6 Vettes I had, the rest of the latest years projects, probably my favorite all time car was the 510's I modded for 10 years but the FiST might take that title, damn fine car, easy to work on, tough as nails and far safer than many cars due to how well built but also tiny and nimble and can get out of the way!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I did not know you built your little track monster to any set (NASA?) TT class rules.

That '95 M3 LSx build; You weren't really thinking of throwing a snail(s) on it, were you?!?
Who's dog box did you use?
Quick Time bell housing? Tilton, QM, AP, or Exedy clutch?
That thing sounds NUTS.
Were you building for a TT class, or just to scare the crap out of yourself while having fun on open track days?

You don't go back to the Bob Sharp 510 era, do you? (If so, you are even more ancient than I am! LOL )

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great questions!

I have never built a car to any rule set, just built what I wanted then read the rules and adjusted the car a bit if needed to be at least be competitive but never to be the top dog as always the wrong car except back in my 510 days, 1972-1982. I had the original championship shift knob insert and dash badges from the era in one of my 510's. I have found it far more rewarding to beat all but one or two cars in a well built class with an underdog car than winning most of the time in the right car for the class.

I wanted the M3 to be the fastest E36 NA on a race track, ever, and not have huge TT style aero, the snail issue was it just came out that way with a 7,800 RPM engine, which it takes to make big NA HP out of 5.7 liters, the comp ratio was only 10 to 1. I had a built S54 I was going to use but came across a killer deal on the built LS so changed plans to accommodate it.

I had not picked the dog box yet when I decided I had to part the car out to live well financially when I decided to retire or not mashed into a wall at .....MPH.....it was more car than I really wanted to drive on unknown tracks once I talked to some buddies more experienced in high power to weight ratio cars.

QM rally spec 2 disk clutch, they helped me pick it as it could be slipped a bit in the pits and easier trailer loading. I used a Vette starter ring with the button flywheel bolted to it, I was under 3 lbs for those parts, if I recall ring, flywheel and clutch around 7lbs or so.

Deff to scar the crap out of myself, though I did not know it at the time, as mentioned above I was warned it might not be that fun for a guy not used to such a car and just driving on tracks of my dreams. I contacted several BMW race shop owners that were championship winning racers that wanted to drive it so was going to take it tracks where I could really seal what I built did.

I go back a ways, turned 64 last May:)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, It DOES take a 'screamer' motor to make big power out of an NA, stock displacement, LS1 especially with that stock comp ratio.

But, it CAN be done with a huge cam, great intake/exhaust, a nuke-proof valve train, and enough fueling. :)
(With that feather weight clutch/flywheel setup, that thing must've revved to 6 grand in microseconds just by LOOKING at the throttle!!)

HA! You only have me by about 2.5 years! (62 in September) [biggrin]

Rick if you're ever in SoCal let me know, I'd like to buy you a beer just to hear all the crazy shit you've done to your cars haha

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The LS1 was built for a V8 stock car road race Camaro, it was their spare and only raced once at the end of the season when they changed the rules requiring LS3 crate engines for the next year. It had all the trick parts to actually spin well over 8,000 RPM but I forget exactly how high, seems like it was something nuts like 8,800 but I sure could be wrong as I recall the heads were not even ported. I lost all my email awhile back so not able to look up the specs, racer I bought it from, etc....Upon receipt I opened it up and it was indeed like brand new, all top quality parts, forged crank, rods, pistons, valve train high end parts, etc....They built the engine well beyond what it had to do then tuned it down to make it last and meet the rules then would race a whole season on one engine and never broke one in the years they ran them, good plan. I only paid around $5k shipped for it!

Unfortunately I never got to run it as I decided to part the car before it was finished but I know it would of been pretty damn fun spinning up like it would, the only accessory being the race alt I was installing and electric water pump:)

--------------------

2.5 years is a drop in the bucket the way the years fly by as we get a bit less young, percentage wise you are catching up daily in fact;)

--------------------

I do not get to SoCal often but might in the spring, wanted to this spring but ran out of time, then in the summer decided to hot as already stuck in AZ far to long, had to get back north to much better weather, I would certainly accept a nice cold brew if or when I am down there again:)