Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

new hopeful ST owner

So I'm in the market for a new car, and FiST has taken the lead currently(yet ive never driven one or even sat in one lol). I work at Ford and ironically no dealer in my city currently has one, though I can transfer one once from another city. I've read through a bunch of threads trying to answer as many of my own questions but figured there are a few that I cant get definite answers on so Id ask.

1) I"m 5'10 215 are Recaros a no go for someone my size?

2) Currently the closest one to me is a loaded 2015 which has $2750 off in incentives or $1500 off with 0/72 financing as opposed to a 16 which is $2000 off or $1000 off 0/72.
So besides sync 3 is the 15 just as good? Or does either year have an advantage over the other? The 15 is a green envy car which I'm partial too ( had a 2013 boss 302 in green)

3) Are the sunroofs problematic in these cars? I really want the sunroof but not if its plagued with issues like other ford models

Thanks for any advise!

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
Yes new leftover, 15
the 16 is either a magnetic, black wheels
or a magnetic, nav, sunroof, recaro, black wheels ( dependent on if either dealer will dealer trade to my work)
or the possibility of just ordering one in any variation

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
For the seats I suggest to try. I'm 5'7" 200ish and it fits real nice. As for the roof I have read zero issues and love mine. Go for it it's a fun ride.

OP
B
Thread Starter #5
For the seats I suggest to try. I'm 5'7" 200ish and it fits real nice. As for the roof I have read zero issues and love mine. Go for it it's a fun ride.

I wish I could Id have to drive 2-3 hours to the closest ford store with one which just doesn't fit into my schedule at the moment

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes new leftover, 15
the 16 is either a magnetic, black wheels
or a magnetic, nav, sunroof, recaro, black wheels ( dependent on if either dealer will dealer trade to my work)
or the possibility of just ordering one in any variation
Are you sure they are still taking orders for the '16s at this point (I was told that I "just made it" when placing my order on 7/1/16), or are you talking about a '17?

You should get more off on the new 15. 500 difference between a 15 and 16 is not a lot. Check used 15/16 and compare difference with similar options miles.

Tell then 19 otd with 0/72 financing on the green envy. The dealer may take a loss to sell it.

OP
B
Thread Starter #8
No not at all lol I haven't even asked about ordering one but a 17 would work either way other then losing the rebates

Unless they're willing to move on the '15 more, I'd rule out the '15. That's way too close in price to justify getting a year old car.

I'm 6', 200lbs. The seats are snug on me, but that's the idea. I've heard of them breaking in (loosening up and conforming to your build) too.

I have nav, sunroof, Recaros and black wheels (powder coated my 2015's dark greys). Don't regret any of it. If you're looking at financing adding a couple of the options won't break the bank. No problems with my sunroof. I could live without navigation really, but the roof and Recaros make the car in my opinion.

Based on the history of moonroof reliability I opted not to get a moonroof. Plus it makes the top of the car heavier and lowers the roofline.

For the seats, it's really hard to say. I wouldn't get this car without the Recaro seats. I think they are perfect for me. I am 5'9" and 180ish. My friend and uncle are wider and both around 6' and they find it very uncomfortable. Then I had a couple in shape tall people get in my car. Unsure of weight, but one 6'8" (since mine has no moonroof) and he slid in as if it was his Superduty and didn't complain about the seats being too tight and the car only had 160 or so miles on it so the seats weren't broken in. Two others at 6'5", one fairly skinny and another with a little more weight to him (probably about my build, just taller). The skinnier one liked the seats and the other didn't comment they were too tight. All that said, that probably doesn't help you much, but with so many different builds of people it's hard to say if you'll be ok with the seats. With me, I leave my wallet in my back pocket and for regular commutes I have no issues with it. If I'm doing a longer drive then I have to take it out and throw it in the console because it starts digging in. The seats do loosen up over time from getting in and out of them. There's a significant amount more tightness to my passenger seat than the driver seat at 12k miles because I rarely get passengers.

There is no green for the '16 or '17 so if you're really attached to that color I'd go with the '15. And the green is really pretty awesome and really uncommon. Only reason I didn't go for it was because I really wanted the molten orange just a bit more and the '16s didn't come with a green option anyway. I haven't been blown away with my Sync 3 system. Not sure if mine is defective, the MyFordTouch system really was extremely terrible, or people just don't know what fast is. I wouldn't describe my Sync3 system as fast like a good smartphone (even though I currently have a garbage cheap smartphone). It takes a bit for it to respond usually and sometimes doesn't register my touches at all which is extremely annoying trying to use it at all when driving and still very frustrating when stopped. Honestly it sounds exactly like the MFT system was said to be with a different skin... It has required me to factory reset it once and infrequently glitches out and says it's playing my USB flash drive but it's playing FM radio and the only way to fix it is to turn off the car and back on. I have considered going to the dealer to test a new Sync3 system to see if there's any difference in performance between theirs and mine.

So besides my rant...the colors of the car, wheel colors, and Sync 3 vs MFT are the main differences between the '15 and '16-'17. There are newly released color offerings for the '17 model if you wanted to order a '17. If you get a '16 make sure the cooling fan relay is grey and not black. If it's black it's an early '16 and that relay will eventually burn up and require replacement of the wiring harness (and the cooling fan won't work so possible overheating). So have them replace it at the dealer if it's black.

OP
B
Thread Starter #12
You should get more off on the new 15. 500 difference between a 15 and 16 is not a lot. Check used 15/16 and compare difference with similar options miles.

Tell then 19 otd with 0/72 financing on the green envy. The dealer may take a loss to sell it.
^^^THIS, and maybe even take a shot at telling them you'll pay 18,500. ;)

Unfortunately working for Ford puts me in a situation where I can guarantee this wont happen lol since I already get D plan, which is no where close to 19k on on a 26k car

OP
B
Thread Starter #13
Based on the history of moonroof reliability I opted not to get a moonroof. Plus it makes the top of the car heavier and lowers the roofline.

For the seats, it's really hard to say. I wouldn't get this car without the Recaro seats. I think they are perfect for me. I am 5'9" and 180ish. My friend and uncle are wider and both around 6' and they find it very uncomfortable. Then I had a couple in shape tall people get in my car. Unsure of weight, but one 6'8" (since mine has no moonroof) and he slid in as if it was his Superduty and didn't complain about the seats being too tight and the car only had 160 or so miles on it so the seats weren't broken in. Two others at 6'5", one fairly skinny and another with a little more weight to him (probably about my build, just taller). The skinnier one liked the seats and the other didn't comment they were too tight. All that said, that probably doesn't help you much, but with so many different builds of people it's hard to say if you'll be ok with the seats. With me, I leave my wallet in my back pocket and for regular commutes I have no issues with it. If I'm doing a longer drive then I have to take it out and throw it in the console because it starts digging in. The seats do loosen up over time from getting in and out of them. There's a significant amount more tightness to my passenger seat than the driver seat at 12k miles because I rarely get passengers.

There is no green for the '16 or '17 so if you're really attached to that color I'd go with the '15. And the green is really pretty awesome and really uncommon. Only reason I didn't go for it was because I really wanted the molten orange just a bit more and the '16s didn't come with a green option anyway. I haven't been blown away with my Sync 3 system. Not sure if mine is defective, the MyFordTouch system really was extremely terrible, or people just don't know what fast is. I wouldn't describe my Sync3 system as fast like a good smartphone (even though I currently have a garbage cheap smartphone). It takes a bit for it to respond usually and sometimes doesn't register my touches at all which is extremely annoying trying to use it at all when driving and still very frustrating when stopped. Honestly it sounds exactly like the MFT system was said to be with a different skin... It has required me to factory reset it once and infrequently glitches out and says it's playing my USB flash drive but it's playing FM radio and the only way to fix it is to turn off the car and back on. I have considered going to the dealer to test a new Sync3 system to see if there's any difference in performance between theirs and mine.

So besides my rant...the colors of the car, wheel colors, and Sync 3 vs MFT are the main differences between the '15 and '16-'17. There are newly released color offerings for the '17 model if you wanted to order a '17. If you get a '16 make sure the cooling fan relay is grey and not black. If it's black it's an early '16 and that relay will eventually burn up and require replacement of the wiring harness (and the cooling fan won't work so possible overheating). So have them replace it at the dealer if it's black.
wow thanks for the feedback, Im gonna go inquire how much this 15 will actually be OTD and ill make a decision from there!

Unfortunately working for Ford puts me in a situation where I can guarantee this wont happen lol since I already get D plan, which is no where close to 19k on on a 26k car
You don't have to use your d plan. People make deals better than their pricing pin plan all the time. True car came out with a 23k price on 26k ST. Take 2 or 3k off that since it's a old car 2 years old, you have 22k OTD or there about. If they say no make them sit on it paying their monthly lease and insurance fees on the vehicle.

So Ill weigh in, I have a 16 FiST. I'm 6'4" 215lbs.

1. Recaros will be fine, you have to break them in and for me the bolstering is a little tight on my legs- but that breaks in. I say they are the most necessary thing on this car, but test the seats for yourself its all about how comfortable YOU are. That being said, the Recaros will start to form to you and get better.

2. Can't say much here, I'd go for whichever one your gut tells you to...or whichever is more financially suited for you....or flip a coin.

3. No problems so far, it creaks when raising if i just crack the vent in the back but some WD-40 fixed that. I didn't want one, but I'm not mad I have one if that makes sense.

Waterfan

1) I'm 5'9", 190 and RECAROS are not too tight at all. Recommend giving a try AND remembering that they will break in nicely after 1k miles or so.

2) Yes, Performance wise, 2016 is as good as 2015.

I believe that 2016 non-RECARO cars are normally optioned with all season tires and low dust brake pads. IMO, this car deserves the sports tires and "good" pads.

2016 changed the intake somehow and there are currently few aftermarket CAI options. This is a low priority performance upgrade for most people, and this is irrelevant if you plan to stay stock or just do the panel filter upgrade.

3) I didn't want/don't have the sunroof, so I have no data to share.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I believe that 2016 non-RECARO cars are normally optioned with all season tires and low dust brake pads. IMO, this car deserves the sports tires and "good" pads.
FIRST I am hearing about this, as I had to specifically ORDER the all season tires (or else the car would be delivered with the B-stone summers), even though I am getting a base, 400A, non-Recaro car. [dunno]

Waterfan

FIRST I am hearing about this, as I had to specifically ORDER the all season tires (or else the car would be delivered with the B-stone summers), even though I am getting a base, 400A, non-Recaro car. [dunno]
Something I read on the forums, and can't find the reference, so I could be wrong.

Point being, everyone should be aware of which tires and pads they are getting and make their own choices as to what is best for them.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I was planning on doing a G-Loc R6 (autocross compound) pad 'slap', at least to the fronts anyway, soon after delivery, so that point does not bother me too much. ;)