Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rota Titan?

Love the look of these wheels but mine lasted about a year. They all ended up off center and unbalanced.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Any idea what caused it? I was looking into these in hyper black for booger, but now having second thoughts.
Pot holes would be my guess. They never dented or caved, and I would always avoid or at least slow down coming up on uneven roads (live in LA so there isn't too much of that anyways.). They lasted as long as my tires did. When I went for a new set of rubber I was told that all 4 wheels were unbalanced and off center.

Pot holes would be my guess. They never dented or caved, and I would always avoid or at least slow down coming up on uneven roads (live in LA so there isn't too much of that anyways.). They lasted as long as my tires did. When I went for a new set of rubber I was told that all 4 wheels were unbalanced and off center.

Makes sense. I've heard the roads aren't great in LA. The roads here in San Antonio suck as well. Everyone has a big ass truck and the weight kills the roads.

stcmptn

17x7.5 Hyperblack. Absolutely love these wheels.
View attachment 32275
This is niiiiice man, I swear the cars looks like it costs another 10k with these wheels because they just look that good to me. I live in Michigan too. I've been eyeing wheel and tire combos for the FiST since I purchased it February of last year. I think I've finally found the ones man, the Titans just look fantastic and I think the hyperblack will look much better on my car than the stock black wheels. Plus the weight savings is massive and price isn't bad at all.

Now I just have to decide on width (7.5 or 8) and tires. The tires part is giving me a headache. I've been running stock AS-3s and X-Ices on 15" steelies roughly November to April. I was pretty much set on a summer set up, heavily favoring the Indy 500s due to the reviews and price point. Talked to the 'Ford guy' at Discount Tire and he strongly recommended all seasons due to improvement in their performance technology and the added security during transition months. But, I'm not sure and the forums are just full of varying personal opinions which largely comes down to driving style and climate. I drive my car pretty hard but haven't tracked it yet but would like to, maybe 2-3 per year tops.

Good lord I rambled a lot here, I've just got a lot of decisions to make. Anyhow, what tires are you running/have you ran? Thoughts? Thanks FiST brother.

Glad you like the look of the Titans. After a year with mine, I still love them. They just seem to fit the look of the car really well. The size is probably not a huge choice and may depend on availability. I chose the 7.5s because I could still use the stock tires on em.

As for all seasons, don't buy into the salesmanship. Seriously, there's no all season that will deliver the same performance at the same same price point as the Indy 500s. And you already have a winter set, so what's the point? Sounds like dude was trying to take you for a ride.

How are folks enjoying their Titans a few years on? The 17x7.5 version is on my short list for daily driving + autocross / kart track racing.

I see a lot of comments about the finish failing or the balance going out of whack in short amounts of time. I try not to buy into the typical 'nice Rotas bro' crap but would like some first-hand accounts of how they've held up over the miles.

CSM

1000 Post Club
How are folks enjoying their Titans a few years on? The 17x7.5 version is on my short list for daily driving + autocross / kart track racing.

I see a lot of comments about the finish failing or the balance going out of whack in short amounts of time. I try not to buy into the typical 'nice Rotas bro' crap but would like some first-hand accounts of how they've held up over the miles.
Pros:
  • Look amazing
  • Hub centric and 17x8 fitment (from what I gather this is quite rare for these wheels)
  • Light at 16.2 lbs per wheels
  • Seem to be structurally well made
Cons:
  • Center caps come off the front due to tabs melting from brake heat
  • Finish is quite poor as they flake pretty easily from road debris. Also the spray on the inner barrel is quite thin and inconsistent, like they didn't do multiple coats
  • Mine also came out of balance last year. Not sure if thats a wheel issue or due to roads around here but worth mentioning
I like them and I still think they look really good on my car, but I am thinking about selling them. Mainly due to space (I have 6 sets of wheels and tires between my two cars!) and I dont use them as much in the summer as I thought I would.

Thanks for the detailed writeup @CSM !
Out of all of those Cons, the balance issue is the most concerning. I think the low weight of the wheels combined w/ cast manufacturing implies there's some structural limitations. Last thing I'd want is nipping an apex kerb at high speed and losing a wheel, great way to total a car.
On the flip side, having a hard time justifying coughing up $$$ for forged wheels... Decisions...

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the detailed writeup @CSM !
Out of all of those Cons, the balance issue is the most concerning. I think the low weight of the wheels combined w/ cast manufacturing implies there's some structural limitations. Last thing I'd want is nipping an apex kerb at high speed and losing a wheel, great way to total a car.
On the flip side, having a hard time justifying coughing up $$$ for forged wheels... Decisions...
Pretty sure they are a low pressure cast design using flow form. But could be wrong.

Have you thought about Konig Dekagrams? They are pretty awesome and I think they are more robust than the Titans personally. I wouldn't hit apex curbs on either one of these to be frank (why risk it if you're not a race car?)

Also, from my discussions with Konig, I know they are going to be releasing a Forged line of wheels sometime in the next few months. Should be a lower cost option to get into forged wheels. No word yet on designs and/or fitments. But maybe worth waiting?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Pros:
  • Look amazing
  • Hub centric and 17x8 fitment (from what I gather this is quite rare for these wheels)
  • Light at 16.2 lbs per wheels
  • Seem to be structurally well made
Cons:
  • Center caps come off the front due to tabs melting from brake heat
  • Finish is quite poor as they flake pretty easily from road debris. Also the spray on the inner barrel is quite thin and inconsistent, like they didn't do multiple coats
  • Mine also came out of balance last year. Not sure if thats a wheel issue or due to roads around here but worth mentioning
I like them and I still think they look really good on my car, but I am thinking about selling them. Mainly due to space (I have 6 sets of wheels and tires between my two cars!) and I dont use them as much in the summer as I thought I would.
Was that a rare, direct from Rota color option, or did you powder coat them that color yourself? [???:)]

The logical thing for myself at this point would be to have multiple sets of wheels, but I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. Hanging around high end German sports cars, you see setups that you can daily drive w/ comfort and then waltz on over the track and rip with confidence. All while looking stylish.
I know this could be done w/ the Fiesta, I may just need to pay up for the right components.

Have you thought about Konig Dekagrams?
I actually came from 16x7 RPF1s, which I sold for a few reasons. Frankly something not talked about enough: ultra light wheels = less inertia = less resistance to change = more road NVH. I think losing a few pounds per corner is fine but too much and it begins to affect comfort. I'd sooner compensate w/ more power.

I'll keep an eye on Konig's forged offerings in the future, thanks for the heads up.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I picked up a Set of Flat Black Titans last December. Yet to put them on. Shortly though. 17x8 per 18racing which is one of the main importers of Rota mine are 17lbs not 16.2 its possible the 17x7.5 are around 16.5-16.2 because a 1/2 less metal all the way around.
Honestly the roads we have here kill factory wheels lol ask me how I know....:rolleyes::cry::LOL:
. I would say Dekagrams , Titans, etc.. bad roads can kill any wheels period outside of steelies. Titans have been tracked as well as other Rota’s in the Mazda world for quite awhile now.
Is the Dekagram stronger probably, is it as nice looking nope nada not IMO. Is it bad looking no its a decent looking wheel. Does the Titan look better? Ya concave spoke always wins over flat spoke( dammit konig you gave the 4x100 community a concave dekagram) again IMO.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I picked up a Set of Flat Black Titans last December. Yet to put them on. Shortly though. 17x8 per 18racing which is one of the main importers of Rota mine are 17lbs not 16.2 its possible the 17x7.5 are around 16.5-16.2 because a 1/2 less metal all the way around
I took one of mine out of the box and measured it on a scale - that's where I got my 16.2lb from. 17x8 +45 with 63.35 center bore. Would be interesting to see what you weigh yours at

@CSM what offset are your wheels? Do you have any shots of them as far as poke on either wheel well?

Keep circling back to Titans... Konig Hypergrams 17x8 were a contender but the 40 offset causes some noticeable poke and I'm trying to keep my wheel wells functional.

CSM

1000 Post Club
@CSM what offset are your wheels? Do you have any shots of them as far as poke on either wheel well?

Keep circling back to Titans... Konig Hypergrams 17x8 were a contender but the 40 offset causes some noticeable poke and I'm trying to keep my wheel wells functional.
+45. no side shots but there isn't any poke to speak of

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I took one of mine out of the box and measured it on a scale - that's where I got my 16.2lb from. 17x8 +45 with 63.35 center bore. Would be interesting to see what you weigh yours at
EITHER way (even IF it is a full 17 lbs.), that is pretty darned light for a 17x8 wheel! [wink] [thumb]