Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Accel Junky's Magnetic Build Thread

OP
A
Thread Starter #62
^^^ Ended up going with something different. Got a blazing deal on a Wilwood brake kit for the front. Just a tick over $700 with a mil discount. That'll save 11 lbs per side, 22 total of unsprung weight and the brakes should be a total non issue on the track methinks.

I think if I can tackle lighter wheels and the crash bars, that will get me solidly in the mid 26XX range without touching the seats/spare/trunk. Not sure how I would get to 2600 lbs flat without those though but I think it is doable.

OP
A
Thread Starter #64
^^^NICE, and great price!! [thumb]

Do you know which wheels will clear the setup you bought??
I believe any 17s of at least stock offset or lower. They say some 16s may fit.

I ended up ordering some 17x8 Rota Titans in Hyper Black. I wanted flat black but they have to be ordered as nobody stocks them. I figure I can try the hyperblack look and if it doesn't work on my grey car, I can always plastidip them black.

They should be 5 lbs lighter per corner and I can re-use my OEM tires for now. I'm also trying to score some Swift springs. I think that will get me almost where I want to be with unsprung weight and appearances for the time being.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think that the Hyper Black may just work well with the magnetic. [thumb]

Anthracite, beryllium, any grey color, or charcoal may be a little too 'mono-chromatic', and most silvers look 'washed out' on our color, but the Hypers I think will look cool! ;)

After the Pro race 1.2s, and OZed Superturismos, I like the DESIGN/STYLE of the Titans the most, and it IS lighter than both of those wheels.

I kind of wish that all of the naysayers on here would not have put any doubts in my head by saying that the Titans may not be of the strongest construction, because otherwise I probably would go with them as well, either in the Hyper, or wait for a gloss black.

Hate to get *slightly* off topic, but I envy the contents in your signature.... quite the history going on there

OP
A
Thread Starter #67
I think that the Hyper Black may just work well with the magnetic. [thumb]

Anthracite, beryllium, any grey color, or charcoal may be a little too 'mono-chromatic', and most silvers look 'washed out' on our color, but the Hypers I think will look cool! ;)

After the Pro race 1.2s, and OZed Superturismos, I like the DESIGN/STYLE of the Titans the most, and it IS lighter than both of those wheels.

I kind of wish that all of the naysayers on here would not have put any doubts in my head by saying that the Titans may not be of the strongest construction, because otherwise I probably would go with them as well, either in the Hyper, or wait for a gloss black.
Yeah, that was my concern with the color: too close match to the paint. But maybe it'll work.

Frankly, I've heard the Rota stories before and I think it is just regurgitated from some isolated incidents. I checked on Grassroots Motorsports and there are many people tracking on Rotas and XXRs. They may not always be the lightest, but they should hold up fine.

Hate to get *slightly* off topic, but I envy the contents in your signature.... quite the history going on there
Thanks! Yeah...it's been a whirlwind of car ownership for me. Slightly slowing down with wife and kid now but I really feel blessed to have had all of these experiences. I think my colorful ownership history has been key in getting my career shifted to the automotive industry such that I now love what I do for a living.

OP
A
Thread Starter #68
I borrowed another user's photo to photoshop my car as it should look with the incoming wheels. Had to color change the car from silver to Magnetic...I think I got pretty close.

Still a bit monochromatic but not bad. My windows aren't tinted nor do I think I will have them tinted. I tried wrapping the mirror caps and roof in "gloss black" in photoshop but you could hardly tell. Not sure that would be worth doing on this color of car.

WARNING: PHOTOSHOPPED

WARNING: PHOTOSHOPPED

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^If the photoshop is even close to an accurate rendering of how it will look, I personally think that looks phenomenally good on the magnetic, and not the least bit monochromatic! [cool]

The car you 'took' the wheels from for this, were they wrapped in 205/40s in the pic, or 215/40s?

The above may have changed my mind about not just wanting these wheels, but also about taking them in the Hyper Black, instead of waiting for them to be made in a gloss, or matte black!

Those ARE some seriously sweet looking wheels on our rides! [thumb]

OP
A
Thread Starter #70
^^^If the photoshop is even close to an accurate rendering of how it will look, I personally think that looks phenomenally good on the magnetic, and not the least bit monochromatic! [cool]

The car you 'took' the wheels from for this, were they wrapped in 205/40s in the pic, or 215/40s?

The above may have changed my mind about not just wanting these wheels, but also about taking them in the Hyper Black, instead of waiting for them to be made in a gloss, or matte black!

Those ARE some seriously sweet looking wheels on our rides! [thumb]
According to the blog I found it on:

"Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 205/40r17
Suspension: ST-Suspensions XTA coilovers"

So it seems like he did just as I want to do and swapped the OE tires onto the new wheels. I don't think the Swift springs will get me that low but maybe low enough to look OK.

OP
A
Thread Starter #72
It slipped my mind that I would need hub centering rings. So I ordered some on Amazon. Reviews mentioned Fiesta and Focus, so I think they'll be just what I need.

73mm to 63.36 plastic by Gorilla

OP
A
Thread Starter #73
Had a friend come over and assist me with changing the brake fluid to Motul for my track day this weekend. If I have time before Sunday I'll likely take out the rear seats, spare, and weigh the car.

Be careful with any plastic hub rings. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the FiST, but I've heard it's possible to melt them at the track.

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

OP
A
Thread Starter #75
Be careful with any plastic hub rings. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the FiST, but I've heard it's possible to melt them at the track.

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

Hmm, good call. I don't think I've tried a set on the track before. Only used them on street cars. If they melt, I'll let everyone know and then order some aluminum versions.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, IF I end up with the Titans, I am going to the alloy rings right off the bat, even for summer street use only. [wink]

The RBF 600 is REALLY good stuff, and it even lasts longer than a lot of the other pure racing fluids (save for the Castrol SRF React, and maybe Torque 700) in regular street use as well, although not as long as the more 'streetable', Ate Typ 200, which can safely go over 2 years between full changes in street use.

OP
A
Thread Starter #77
I've run ATE Superblue (and then Typ200) as well as Motul before and no complaints really.

I got a gift certificate of $25 for leaving good feedback for the Wilwood vendor I used, so I applied that and my mil discount and bit the bullet on the Wilwood flexline kit. For some reason 2Jracing is saying it is necessary to install so I figured I would get it just in case.

OP
A
Thread Starter #79
^^NICE, but I am surprised that they do not come with the big front brake kit.
That's why I thought it was weird that a third party vendor said they were necessary. At least I have them and got a good price.

OP
A
Thread Starter #80
Last night I stripped out the rear seats, passenger seat, spare and trunk area and then weighed the car with a full tank again. This will be my track weight for today but I think I may run half a tank to lose a little more.

I'm off to the first track day in this car. It'll be 96F out there today so I'm a little anxious about things running hot.