Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Accel Junky's Magnetic Build Thread

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's still that hot in Squidbilly Country <-(LOL) today?!

I guess this nice, cool, Canuck air mass we are enjoying here has not quite made it that far south yet. [:(]

OP
A
Thread Starter #82
It was absolutely boiling hot at the track (Atlanta Motorsports Park) yesterday. Track photos and in-car video footage coming soon.

I matched my buddy's current gen stock STi (upgraded pads/fluid) with a 1:42 which was about as quick as my full bolt on E46 M3 at the same track on NT05s.

Some highlights:
- Initially the FiST overheated and pulled power. This was still in the morning session. Fix was to run the heat on full blast. I had no overheating issues the remainder of the day.
- On the back carousel up-hill turn, I would lose all power. Turns out if the car is less than 1/3rd of a tank it fuel starves. Fix was to run as full a tank as possible at all times. Possible bad fuel tank baffle design?
- OE tires absolutely WORTHLESS. The are now virtually DESTROYED. I targeted the cold pressures when hot. This worked OK mostly but the tires were spinning everywhere. Impossible to put down power coming out of turns, spinning through carousels etc... I don't know if it was how hot it was out there but I was sliding all over the place. Oversteer and understeer depending on the situation, but controllable. It was like I was drifting a FWD car the entire day and the tires show it. Tire surface temps as high as 175-200F.
- Brakes even with cooling still faded towards the end of 20min sessions. Saw 730F temps on the rotors as soon as I came into the paddock.

The day finished up with some bad news: torn passenger CV boot. It ripped right at the boot clamp near the brake. A little research leads me to believe that the passenger motor mount may have broken and caused the boot to tear based on some reading. The motor mount does wiggle a bit when I push on the engine.

So for now, I am about to take off the brake ducting and put the car as close to stock as possible so that I can take it to the dealer in hopes that they will take care of the CV/axle and the motor mount (?).

All in all, I was impressed with how well this car terrorized much "faster" cars on this technical track. I was NOT IMPRESSED with the ability to put down stock power and the stock tires.

I'm pretty convinced that tracking this thing at my level is going to be a waste of time and money without having an LSD and R comps.

OP
A
Thread Starter #84
On a positive note... I came in to work this morning and a bunch of goodies were awaiting like Christmas day:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm pretty convinced that tracking this thing at my level is going to be a waste of time and money without having an LSD and R comps.
ABSOLUTELY!!

These are MUCH MORE useful mods for your purposes than throwing gobs of power at it as so many are compelled to do FIRST. [thumb]

I just wish that either the Quaife, or Wavetrac were not ~$3K installed deals when all is said and done for someone who CANNOT "do it in their garage". [:(]

KKaWing

There's always M-Factory, though you save only ~200 bucks. Lifetime transferable warranty though, and forged components.

OP
A
Thread Starter #89
Got some video footage up. These are probably not my quickest laps as by this point I had roasted the front tires, rotated them to the rear, re-enabled sport mode (instead of all-off) and tried to be more conscious of letting off to reduce tire spin.

The F355 that I went around had already spun out trying to outrun me earlier. Wish I had that one on film...

[video=youtube;3YQo3vB2RBs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQo3vB2RBs[/video]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It is AMAZING that these little cars can even 'play' with an F355, yes, even with the FiST driver being superior, and the Ferrari driver being piss poor, or not having a clue as to what they are doing out there!! [crazyeye] [cool] [thumb]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There's always M-Factory, though you save only ~200 bucks. Lifetime transferable warranty though, and forged components.
WHERE do you see a FiST, B6 transaxle version on their site, or do you know for a fact that their FoST/Mondeo version WILL work in our cars?? [dunno]

BTW, the expense which bothers me/is prohibitive to me, is the ~$2k+ labor to get these into the car, not the ~$1100.00 that both the Quaife and Wavetrac cost shipped. [wink]

KKaWing

WHERE do you see a FiST, B6 transaxle version on their site, or do you know for a fact that their FoST/Mondeo version WILL work in our cars?? [dunno]

BTW, the expense which bothers me/is prohibitive to me, is the ~$2k+ labor to get these into the car, not the ~$1100.00 that both the Quaife and Wavetrac cost shipped. [wink]
Yeah I get the labour part. My mechanic qouted me $800 cash. But... $200 is 200 ^^;. Anyways here's the link: http://store.ycwengineering.com/catalog/partno/MF-TRS-05IB6 note the part number is in the link.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah I get the labour part. My mechanic qouted me $800 cash. But... $200 is 200 ^^;. Anyways here's the link: http://store.ycwengineering.com/catalog/partno/MF-TRS-05IB6 note the part number is in the link.
Thanks! [thumb]

I'd like to see a three way comparison with this unit, and the Quaife and Wavetrac to find out which features of each pay off the most in road course and daily driven and rain/snow use.

But so few ever get even ONE of the above for their FiST, let alone getting any of them installed into our rides and all together for a comparo test. [:(]

OP
A
Thread Starter #94
Wheels came in. I now have the Wilwood kit, Swift springs, and the wheels in hand. But I'm not putting anything on until I get the CV boot and passenger motor mount resolved at the dealer tomorrow.

They are a really close match for the Magnetic color but I think they will still look good.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Maybe, but they still are different enough, and have that 'pop' because of the black chrome effect, that I think they will be SWEET on the car!!

A set of those wrapped in 215/40-17 Direzza Z2 SSes would be WICKED looking, and every time I see those wheels I like them that much more! [thumb] [cool]

Decisions, decisions. :(

So I have two questions for you Accel Junkie; before that, awesome build thread I'm a big fan of your take on how to mod the car. But I want to ask, did you ever go to any driving schools, or is your knowledge purely out of the plethora of cars you've owned? Also what do you do work if you don't mind me asking?

OP
A
Thread Starter #97
Update: Dropped the FiST off at the dealer this morning. Driving the most beat-to-hell Mirage hatchback rental car from Hertz. The first time and probably the last time I do business with Hertz. Enterprise and National are much quicker with far better condition cars.

Dealer called this afternoon and said the axle they ordered was already broken so they had to order another. Methinks they ordered the non-ST axle and are covering their tracks. Should have the car back maybe tomorrow or Monday. Then the wheels/springs/brakes install will commence. Can't wait.

OP
A
Thread Starter #98
So I have two questions for you Accel Junkie; before that, awesome build thread I'm a big fan of your take on how to mod the car. But I want to ask, did you ever go to any driving schools, or is your knowledge purely out of the plethora of cars you've owned? Also what do you do work if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks! Never been to a driving school. Partly experience from owning all the cars I have and partly just natural experience from starting with street racing then to drag racing then to autocross and finally found my place in track days. I have had a few occasional instruction sessions that have helped me pick up on some new skills and tips to improve. Instructors as required early on in track days plus I've hired an instructor for an hour on the Ring. I've also had the chance to ride along with people and have had some instructors with my job. I work with many driving instructors as well so I try to pick up stuff from them.

Which leads me to your other question: right now I am working for Porsche here in Atlanta. It's the perfect job for a guy like me. I hope to make this my long term home.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Update: Dropped the FiST off at the dealer this morning. Driving the most beat-to-hell Mirage hatchback rental car from Hertz. The first time and probably the last time I do business with Hertz. Enterprise and National are much quicker with far better condition cars.

Dealer called this afternoon and said the axle they ordered was already broken so they had to order another. Methinks they ordered the non-ST axle and are covering their tracks. Should have the car back maybe tomorrow or Monday. Then the wheels/springs/brakes install will commence. Can't wait.
Your dealer did not question, or give you a hard time about the axle/CV, or ripped boot at all (like try to blame it on you somehow)??

OP
A
Thread Starter #100
Your dealer did not question, or give you a hard time about the axle/CV, or ripped boot at all (like try to blame it on you somehow)??
So far, no trouble. Keeping my fingers crossed. But I don't think it should've torn even on track.

I purposely picked a service advisor who was young. Figured probably had the best chance.