Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Accel Junky's Magnetic Build Thread

OP
A
Thread Starter #102
Also, today, I decided to say eff it and order what I would need to finish off the overall appearance of the car. This way I can get the wheels, springs, and brakes on and have these items to tie everything together.

I've ordered a Maxton Design front lip and wing extension. Both in ABS, molet finish. I decided against a Mountune or Triple R as they are fiberglass and I've had no luck with fiberglass parts holding up to wear and tear in the past. Otherwise I would've taken the Mountune in ABS or urethane if it was available.

I had a hell of a time finding pictures of this front lip. I couldn't find anything outside of their website. The only other photos I found were for their other lip design which has the pointy areas on each side.

I wish a forum vendor would stock these so that folks could save on the overseas shipping.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Are they the manufacturer some on here have had major problems with, as far as actually getting them shipped out from Jolly Ol' England?? [dunno]

The parts themselves look great, and as long as you have no issues with them, I would consider these as well. ;)

OP
A
Thread Starter #104
^^^Are they the manufacturer some on here have had major problems with, as far as actually getting them shipped out from Jolly Ol' England?? [dunno]

The parts themselves look great, and as long as you have no issues with them, I would consider these as well. ;)
To be honest...no idea. They seemed legit enough. I guess I should've researched. Now I will be crossing my fingers!

OP
A
Thread Starter #105
I installed the Swift springs this morning before work. I did a little prep work last night by getting out all of my tools and taking off the cowl in the engine bay to access the strut towers. With air tools I was able to install everything this morning in just over an hour working as rapidly as possible. No spring compressor necessary.

To be honest, I'm not sure they are low enough for me. I like having a pinky finger gap or less typically for aesthetics. I am skeptical they will settle much but we will see. In the pictures below (after 40 miles driving) the payment is not quite level so the driver's side looks a little lower than reality.

They ride about the same as stock as far as I can tell. Handling has definitely improved. The car handles flatter and dives less. I'll be curious to see if the car is more stable under hard braking.

There is no doubt the handling improvement was worth it. Very quick turn in and reduced body roll. Just a question of whether they'll be low enough for my taste...

Right now the plan is to put a few hundred miles on them before I go get an alignment.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't know if I could even live with them around here if they lowered the car any more than that, especially since I plan on using an (up to 1/2") taller than factory wheel/tire setup!

THANKS for the pics, they help a lot. [thumb]

KKaWing

Ack, a little late but would you have pictures of the spring themselves. Been looking around but never found a picture of the actual springs for the Fiesta ST. Thanks for the picture of the car with swift springs and stock wheels!

OP
A
Thread Starter #108
I don't know if I could even live with them around here if they lowered the car any more than that, especially since I plan on using an (up to 1/2") taller than factory wheel/tire setup!

THANKS for the pics, they help a lot. [thumb]
[twothumb]

Ack, a little late but would you have pictures of the spring themselves. Been looking around but never found a picture of the actual springs for the Fiesta ST. Thanks for the picture of the car with swift springs and stock wheels!
Unfortunately I was in such a rush that I did not take any photos. The springs are black and have the Swift logo printed on them in white. There was a little sticker at the top of each noting the model they fit and the part #. Other than that not much to see. I can't recall how they compared to stock. Definitely shorter in the rear as I had to really force the stock springs down and out and these I had to raise the twist beam so they didn't fall out.

KKaWing

Ahh in that case, since you've seen the springs... did the look like the yellow ones where the coils were evenly spaced or was it like the black ones where there's a few coils where they are tighter than the others?

Thanks again!

OP
A
Thread Starter #110
Ahh in that case, since you've seen the springs... did the look like the yellow ones where the coils were evenly spaced or was it like the black ones where there's a few coils where they are tighter than the others?

Thanks again!
Fairly certain they were the even spacing as they are claimed to be linear (which is why I bought them). I'm not totally sure about the rears as I think (for some reason I recall) the first few coils immediately collapsed when I jacked the twist beam back up. Maybe they are dead coils. In any case, the turn in is very very sharp and quick. I'm probably not skilled enough to feel the difference but they seem to deliver for my ability.

KKaWing

Thanks! Sometimes the manufacturers do a "dual rate" spring. To lower the car, they'd have to have a few dead coils that keep the spring in place then the suspension fully extends. When the car is on the ground, those sections basically don't effect the spring rate and the remainder of the spring will act linear.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They look like the latter (black) set above.

BUT, I can tell you this, they ARE linear rate springs (IF that is what you were getting at), at least according to the Swift techs I spoke to who swore this up and down!

They only 'look' like progressives because those bunched bottom coils of their springs act like a separate 'tender', or 'keeper' spring would on a threaded, small diameter, coil over spring, and NOT as an actual softer/'dual' spring rate would on a progressive spring.

Again, this is from Swift themselves, so believe it or not. [dunno]

I called them with the express purpose of asking if these were progressive rate deals or not (since yes, like you, I'm guessing, they looked like they HAD TO BE progressive rates), as IF they were progressive, I would rather keep the factory supplied deals. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^That's the way it should sit right from the factory! [thumb]

But in those side pics, I realize just how 'rubber band-like' our factory setup's sidewalls are! [crazyeye]

We must have the shortest (at least visually) sidewall setup from the factory of ANY regular production car! [:(]

BTW; that last sunset pic is SWEET!!

KKaWing

They look like the latter (black) set above.

BUT, I can tell you this, they ARE linear rate springs (IF that is what you were getting at), at least according to the Swift techs I spoke to who swore this up and down!

They only 'look' like progressives because those bunched bottom coils of their springs act like a separate 'tender', or 'keeper' spring would on a threaded, small diameter, coil over spring, and NOT as an actual softer/'dual' spring rate would on a progressive spring.

Again, this is from Swift themselves, so believe it or not. [dunno]

I called them with the express purpose of asking if these were progressive rate deals or not (since yes, like you, I'm guessing, they looked like they HAD TO BE progressive rates), as IF they were progressive, I would rather keep the factory supplied deals. [wink]
I was just wondering if they did it like ST Suspensions or if they used a tender section. I've been a big fan of Swift ever since Chris from RedShift Motorsports did a spring comparison between Eibach, H&R, Swift, Neuspeed, Tein and maybe some other brands... Road Magnet maybe? I am just curious as what they did for this car is all. I know Swift most probably won't ever make progressive lowering springs. It's just nobody ever took a picture of the Swift Spec-R springs themselves, whether people who bought them or vendors that sell them.

Edit: Thanks for more pictures! Looks wonderful and winterable too.

OP
A
Thread Starter #117
Here we are in direct blazing sunlight:

Not entirely sure how I feel about the color. I think the wheel style/design is great for the car. Weight is great. Maybe a little too blingy and not enough contrast with the Magnetic. Definitely wayyyy too little tire. The stock tire is crazy stretched. Looking forward to getting some beefier tires. The car is not low enough for this fitment I feel. I'll likely go with the BC coilovers down the road. I guess I should've just bit the bullet to begin with.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Those look classy on the magnetic, just enough 'pop' to not get lost, but not too bright (like a silver/chrome/hyper silver would look) to make them too much/overpowering for the car/color! [twothumb]

I'd like to see what they look like wrapped in a 215/40-17; Direzza 2 SS, or a Federal 595 RS-R/RR.

OP
A
Thread Starter #119
Those look classy on the magnetic, just enough 'pop' to not get lost, but not too bright (like a silver/chrome/hyper silver would look) to make them too much/overpowering for the car/color! [twothumb]

I'd like to see what they look like wrapped in a 215/40-17; Direzza 2 SS, or a Federal 595 RS-R/RR.
Classy is definitely the way to put it. I'm just not sure how classy a guy I am lol.

I will absolutely be upgrading to 215s when these tires are toast. I've been pretty happy with Nitto NT05s but might look at Star Specs or Azenis. What I don't know is if I will track it with these. I'm wonder if the stretch is too risky and if I'll destroy the rims on the curbing with such a stretch.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Nitto does not make a 215/40-17 in either their NT-05, or their NT-01, only the pedestrian, all season, but much praised on here, Neo Gen. [:(]