Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Accel Junky's Magnetic Build Thread

It's tube and fin not bar and plate. Those others are bar and plate.

I wouldn't have considered it because of the cost but I got it brand new for just over $400 which was better than Peron and theirs is out of stock anyways. I wanted tube and fin for the lighter weight and track day advantages.
I too bought and installed a mountune intercooler and in some of the testing I did this summer doing a hard pull from 2nd to 4th gear I saw about 18deg f or 10deg c increase in temperature. At the time it was 82deg f or 28deg c outside and it shot up to 100 deg f or 38deg c. I've noticed an improved throttle response from 4500 to redline since installing the intercooler. Did your intercooler have a serial number sticker on it? Mine did which also showed the production date. Did you buy it directly from mountune?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thread Starter #202
I too bought and installed a mountune intercooler and in some of the testing I did this summer doing a hard pull from 2nd to 4th gear I saw about 18deg f or 10deg c increase in temperature. At the time it was 82deg f or 28deg c outside and it shot up to 100 deg f or 38deg c. I've noticed an improved throttle response from 4500 to redline since installing the intercooler. Did your intercooler have a serial number sticker on it? Mine did which also showed the production date. Did you buy it directly from mountune?

To be honest, I didn't see a serial number but I didn't look very hard either. I bought it straight from Mountune and it shipped from them in one of their boxes of course. It looks like your charge temp rise is less than mine. Is yours painted black? Mine is.

To be honest, I didn't see a serial number but I didn't look very hard either. I bought it straight from Mountune and it shipped from them in one of their boxes of course. It looks like your charge temp rise is less than mine. Is yours painted black? Mine is.
Yes mine is black too. Not too sure if mountune ever made any changes to the intercooler since it was released, I know they've made small revisions to their other parts. Would be curious what your build date of your intercooler is, mine was Sept. 2015 I think as I bought it this time last year for Black Friday. You should email mountune and give your feedback and see what they say? Oh almost forgot to mention I have mp215 and the complete charge pipe set.

Hey! I met you at the Octane Academy. I was the guy that had the 996 Turbo. Car is looking good! Makes me feel the need to purchase some new wheels.

OP
A
Thread Starter #205
Hey! I met you at the Octane Academy. I was the guy that had the 996 Turbo. Car is looking good! Makes me feel the need to purchase some new wheels.
Hey! I do remember. It was very nice talking with you. Great group of people there.

Thanks! I just couldn't leave this thing alone for long. I'm getting pretty close to my goals though.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Car looks sexy, I would have gone with those wheels had I seen them before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm giving it another go in this month's November Fiesta of the Month competition. Pretty crowded field this time.

Vote here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/11521-Voting-November-Fiesta-of-the-Month-Contest

Let's try for round 2 (just voted for you again!).

HOW do you get the Magnetic to 'pop' like that in those pics??

Is it the angle they are shot at, is the photographer using a special filter or something, or do you have a secret weapon paint treatment/sealer/whatever that you use?!?! [???:)]

I mean that thing looks AMAZING in those shots!! [twothumb]

OP
A
Thread Starter #213
Get a hybrid turbo going and you will be [emoji7][emoji7]

Oh, believe me...I've been pondering it!

Car looks sexy, I would have gone with those wheels had I seen them before!

Thanks! Yeah, I had only seen them on one Fiesta before I bought them. Frankly, just wasn't thrilled about most 4x108s and was highly considering the 4x100 hub route but I'm glad I found these.

Let's try for round 2 (just voted for you again!).

HOW do you get the Magnetic to 'pop' like that in those pics??

Is it the angle they are shot at, is the photographer using a special filter or something, or do you have a secret weapon paint treatment/sealer/whatever that you use?!?! [???:)]

I mean that thing looks AMAZING in those shots!! [twothumb]
Thanks! Appreciate the support again :)

The pop is pretty much the instagram "structure" editing setting jacked all the way up though I did freshly wax the car before that photo.

My car looks just like that after detailing. Magnetic really is an underrated color.
It does change quite a bit in different lighting. Sometimes it can have a slight earthiness to it and other times a slight purplishness.

I love the look of those Rota Titan wheels. Any rubbing issues?

At the moment, zero rubbing. However A) the car is not super low with the Swift springs B) I haven't tracked it yet with these (will Dec 3) C) I am running the stock tires which are super stretched. I will be running wider tires once I wear out the stockers.

[woot]

OP
A
Thread Starter #214
Small update:

I replaced all interior lights and the license plate lights with LEDs. I bought a cheap $12.99 pack of 10 from Amazon and what a difference they make! I recommend this as a cheap first mod.

The rear dome light does require disassembly to fit the 3 bulbs. There were small metal heat reflectors/shrouds in the 2 swivel lights that I could not fit back over the LED bulbs so I left those out. They could probably be drilled out a little bit to fit but I figured those lights never get used so I doubt they'll heat up.

OP
A
Thread Starter #216
I finally got a chance to process my logs with the Mountune FMIC. Here's the charge temp rise with a 3rd gear pull on Stratified 93 oct tune vs the charge temps with the stock intercooler and Cobb tune. Seems pretty high.

90.9 F Starting to 117.7 F ending for STOCK FMIC (26.8F rise or 29.4% increase in temperature over the pull)
76.6 F Starting to 111.2 F ending for MOUNTUNE black FMIC (34.6F rise 45.1% increase in temperature over the pull)

So the Mountune is significantly worse than the stock FMIC. I just don't see how this is possible unless the higher boost of the Stratified tune is causing significant charge temp increases that overcome the Mountune advantages over the stock FMIC.

I don't recall the Stratified tune on the stock FMIC to have had any higher temp rises than the Mountune, but I forgot to log it.

Thoughts? I went with the Mountune for track/weight purposes but if it is worse than the stock intercooler on a 3rd gear pull I'll put the stock one back in or go for a heavier bar/plate.

Stock FMIC and Cobb 93oct Stage 1 Tune:

Mountune FMIC and Stratified Tune:

OP
A
Thread Starter #217
Response from Mountune:

Thanks for your email. Without a direct before and after comparison there's not much I can say about the temps. I've attached some of our own data for reference.
Sure, 34 degrees isn't a huge increase with a boosted car. Remember, this is not a bar and plate core. This is tube and fin and is going to allow for proper engine cooling in all kinds of driving. It will not be the lowest temp delta, but it will be consistent and allow for high speed applications where others will fail due to compromised engine cooling.
I'm not sure what to make of the data chart they sent. Looks like (according to AnT6, blue lines on bottom) the Mountune post-intercooler temp is substantially lower than stock (assuming 1 is Mountune and 2 is stock). I don't feel like my stock intercooler was hitting anything higher than the Mountune. I guess what sucks is that I would need to take the damned bumper off again and do a back to back comparison with both intercoolers find out for sure how they compare in my application.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Those numbers are a little confusing to read but I get this. OEM pre IC: 305.2F, post IC 172.9F. Mountune pre IC: 303.3F, post IC 137.7F.
Pressure drop for both ICs across core is around 1.75psi (12kpa).
The compressor outlet temps (pre IC) of around 300F are in line with other temps I have seen for the stock turbo. Pressure drop is good for both ICs. You can now go and workout thermal efficiency difference between the two cores to check the difference.

Pete

Response from Mountune:

I'm not sure what to make of the data chart they sent. Looks like (according to AnT6, blue lines on bottom) the Mountune post-intercooler temp is substantially lower than stock (assuming 1 is Mountune and 2 is stock). I don't feel like my stock intercooler was hitting anything higher than the Mountune. I guess what sucks is that I would need to take the damned bumper off again and do a back to back comparison with both intercoolers find out for sure how they compare in my application.

I did some testing of the mountune intercooler on track days. Unfortunately it performed the same as stock. When I sent the comparing logs to Mountune they said it looks normal and it just heat soaked... I have also ran the mishimoto z line and j line intercooler. The j line was better but super heavy. But the best results I have seen for a track day intercooler is the DHM one I have now. Another example is an local uphill run local to me. On nights where the temps were in the 50's the mountune went up to 120 degrees at the top. The J line went up to 100 degrees the DHM went up to 70 degrees. Keep in mind that up hill run takes 8-9 mins. All three runs were within 10 seconds of each other as I recorded it for reference. The fastest was with the DHM intercooler. Sorry you had the same experience as myself.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I did some testing of the mountune intercooler on track days. Unfortunately it performed the same as stock. When I sent the comparing logs to Mountune they said it looks normal and it just heat soaked... I have also ran the mishimoto z line and j line intercooler. The j line was better but super heavy. But the best results I have seen for a track day intercooler is the DHM one I have now. Another example is an local uphill run local to me. On nights where the temps were in the 50's the mountune went up to 120 degrees at the top. The J line went up to 100 degrees the DHM went up to 70 degrees. Keep in mind that up hill run takes 8-9 mins. All three runs were within 10 seconds of each other as I recorded it for reference. The fastest was with the DHM intercooler. Sorry you had the same experience as myself.
Clarification - DHM direct fit or the DHM RACE intercooler?