Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Accel Junky's Magnetic Build Thread

OP
A
Thread Starter #261
On another note...I believe I maxed out the capabilities of the rear storage compartment of the Fiesta today.

I had some street tires/wheels come in for my GT4 (black Friday impulse...I'm a dead man when the wife finds out) at my work loading dock. These tires are 1/3rd the cost of the Cup2s so I can drive on the street guilt free and make that OEM set of Cup2s last through several track days to come.

What is truly mind blowing is how huge the rears are compared to the Fiesta (which are stretched on a 17x8 as it is). I think the reason modern sports cars are destroying Ring times so handily has much to do with the movement to huge wheel diameters and super sticky street compounds.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah the PS91s are like $160.00 EACH less than the Pilot Super Sports, let alone the $330.00 EACH less than the Cup 2s. YIKES!! [ohcrap]

KKaWing

Those... are as wide (maybe even wider) than the seat bottoms of the Recaros [:0]

If you follow speed academy on youtube, their "mullet mustang" project used these for the first few track days. Today's video they mentioned it had more grip in really cold weather vs. the new Toyo R888-R's. The Koreans are really killing it in terms of value for performance of their new tires.

Ordered Maxton stuff on Monday. Shipped Tuesday from the UK. Arrived at work today, just standard shipping paid. Quality seems solid so far. Close up of the ABS texture below.

Communication was great. No complaints about doing business with them.

Is this V.2 Maxton spoiler, and is it the standard finish or the gloss black? Also how's the install on it?

OP
A
Thread Starter #265
Is this V.2 Maxton spoiler, and is it the standard finish or the gloss black? Also how's the install on it?
It's the standard texturized "molet" finish. Honestly I think the gloss is going to require extra maintenance and will show more dirt and wear/tear.

For install, ideally I think you'd want to take the bumper off and use the bolts and nuts supplied for the most secure but I simply marked holes on the underside of the spoiler while I mocked it in place and then used coarse thread self tapping hex screws to secure it. I did 4 on each side and then in the middle I used a little longer screw and some cut black rubber hose (or spacers) to secure the middle but to keep it from bowing upwards. Now that I've seen my car at speed on the track, I will probably go back and run additional screws and spacers along the middle section as it was deflecting a little at higher speeds and I'd prefer it didn't so that I'm getting the most downforce out of it.

OP
A
Thread Starter #266
Minor update:

I've taken the car to the dealer to:

1. Replace radio volume knob. It has seized a bit and no longer freely spins and adjusts the volume.
2. Look at brake pedal assembly, brake booster, and brake master to rule out any defects that may have seized my Wilwoods on the track.

On a side note, I've already spied some parts my wife got me for Christmas due to poor labeling choices by the vendors. There's a Cobb filter and a downpipe so far. I also received some Denso Iridium plugs as a gift already. I also have LED bulbs awaiting install for the reverse lights and front and rear LED turn signal bulbs that flash orange but that don't appear orange to the naked eye when off to hopefully clean up the orange reflection in the clear housings.

OP
A
Thread Starter #267
Merry Christmas to my build readers!

Speaking of Christmas, I have a few new parts that my wife got me that I'll be installing.

Cobb filter, Depo downpipe, and Denso Iridium spark plugs.

OP
A
Thread Starter #269
Good time for spark plugs! I just got some myself - what are you gapping yours at? 0.32? 0.34?
Out of the box my Denso ITV20 are .040, .042, .042, .042

It looks like Tune+ is gapping to .025 with 1 step colder (ITV22). Stratified is also recommending ITV22 and 0.025-.026

Stock is .031.

I think I'm going to try .028 first since I'm not 1 step colder but also not on the stock plug, and modded.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are the ITV20s the same exact heat range as the factory plugs, or are they a little colder, just not a full step colder like the ITV22s? [???:)]

I feel that the ITV22s are way too cold for my uses (no open tracking for now, daily winter/some 'short trip' use, etc.) with a mild 93E10 Strat Flash tune (that's not even in the ECM yet), but am I wrong about this?

OP
A
Thread Starter #271
Are the ITV20s the same exact heat range as the factory plugs, or are they a little colder, just not a full step colder like the ITV22s? [???:)]

I feel that the ITV22s are way too cold for my uses (no open tracking for now, daily winter/some 'short trip' use, etc.) with a mild 93E10 Strat Flash tune (that's not even in the ECM yet), but am I wrong about this?
It was my understanding that they were the same heat range but I haven't looked in detail. I was just going based on our vendors.

I just took it for a spin and everything feels fine. It is hard to say if the Cobb filter and Denso plugs did much. If anything it does feel a little smoother. I think the Cobb filter quiets the turbo down compared to the stock filter though. It was pretty obvious as I was expecting more noise and it seemed to be less noise than stock.

I just watched an install video for the downpipe. Looks like a royal bitch. Not looking forward to that...may start tonight since I'm working from home all week in case it drags out.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thanks! I will probably go with the ITV20s as well.

I also would think that the Cobb filter would let more noise through.

Isn't it like HALF the depth (or less) of the factory paper filter?

OP
A
Thread Starter #273
Thanks! I will probably go with the ITV20s as well.

I also would think that the Cobb filter would let more noise through.

Isn't it like HALF the depth (or less) of the factory paper filter?
I thought the same. Not sure why it's so quiet.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club

I had initially bought the tune+ Densos but they started giving me a problem the first month. Had to switch them out for the NGK's, the plugs from tune+ weren't even gapped...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Out of the box my Denso ITV20 are .040, .042, .042, .042

It looks like Tune+ is gapping to .025 with 1 step colder (ITV22). Stratified is also recommending ITV22 and 0.025-.026

Stock is .031.

I think I'm going to try .028 first since I'm not 1 step colder but also not on the stock plug, and modded.
Looks like I missed a 0!

Thanks for the specs - I'll line mine up at 0.028 as well.

OP
A
Thread Starter #276
My stock plugs with a few thousand miles and one track day on the Stratified mail order tune:

A little brown but not as much as I thought there would be. Probably makes sense given the tune generally runs in the 11s AFR. Maybe with the Cobb filter and downpipe it will lean out a little.

OP
A
Thread Starter #277
Update:

Depo catless downpipe installed. What a giant pain in the d!ck! Probably 7-8 hours for me. Much of that wasted on getting out the damned heat shields plus some wasted time on PB blastering stuck nuts/bolts. I had some leftover exhaust wrap from a long ago project so I used that on the upper part of the downpipe since the OEM downpipe shield cannot be reused. I trimmed off the excess worm gear clamp ends to prevent vibrations and keep weight at a min.

I also used what I had left of some aluminum tape and wrapped up the underside of the upper intake pipe to help with added heat from the unshielded downpipe. After a long drive the upper intake pipe was hardly warm.

Weight Depo w/ partial heat wrap vs. stock: 5.50 lbs vs 11.62 lbs

Weight saved: 6.12 lbs

Initial impressions: I can absolutely tell a butt dyno difference. It isn't night and day but I can feel a difference for the better. Sound wise the car is no louder inside and in fact may have reduced a little of the muffler-delete drone. I still have the stock resonator in place and there is a big bottleneck going down from the downpipe to the stock exhaust. Outside of the car I think sound volume increased at least a small amount. I can tell it is louder and you can hear more of the turbo whistle at idle.

Going forward...I'm wonder if a revised Stratified OTS tune is in order. The original request was just muffler-delete and free intake mod (cut in shroud). Now I have the drop in filter, catless downpipe, and iridium plugs to add to that. Thoughts?

[video=youtube;NQs_3qBPbD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQs_3qBPbD8[/video]

OP
A
Thread Starter #278
Just took a video from the outside revving with the downpipe:

[video=youtube;UDMt_gbuKtA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDMt_gbuKtA[/video]

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Tune will always yield the best power results, I would get a revised tune 100%

Oh man does that ever sound sexy! I miss having that exact setup, I like what I have now but no turbo whine. Guess you're hitting fuel cut in that video, hence why it's sounding like anti-lag a little ?

OP
A
Thread Starter #280
Tune will always yield the best power results, I would get a revised tune 100%

Oh man does that ever sound sexy! I miss having that exact setup, I like what I have now but no turbo whine. Guess you're hitting fuel cut in that video, hence why it's sounding like anti-lag a little ?

Oh yeah, just banging into the fuel cut there a bit. I find myself doing it on upshifts on the road as it sounds like a rally car anti-lag. Probably not the best thing to do...

I emailed Stratified to see what they thought about a revised tune with the additional mods. I don't think the boost would be any higher as it is already a hair over 26psi.