Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Accel Junky's Magnetic Build Thread

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Take it you won't be sharing what ya paid and from who you bought from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Finally an update!

Had to make a move on brakes as my first track day of the season is approaching (March, Atlanta Motorsports Park).

Wilwood offered to sell me new brakes at a discount but would not warranty or replace my kit. After much deliberation I decided partly on principle and partly on peace-of-mind to order a new brake kit from a different maker.

So I've got a StopTech kit on the way (slotted, non-zinc-coated). I will be listing my Wilwood kit in the classifieds soon in case anyone wants a kit they can get on the cheap and refurb. It'll need 1 or 2 new pistons and the rotors will either need to be turned or the rotor rings replaced.

I heavily considered the Rotora kit that Noodles worked on but ended up getting a mil discount on the StopTech kit that made the pricing gap big enough to not ignore.

GREAT CHOICE!! [twothumb]

At this point (after what you've been through with Wilwood), I am only considering those, or an ap Racing kit. ;)

OP
A
Thread Starter #303
Take it you won't be sharing what ya paid and from who you bought from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't mind! $1582 shipped. CarID does 10% mil discount on everything so lately I've been going to them for big ticket items even if I have to wait for a drop ship.

OP
A
Thread Starter #304
GREAT CHOICE!! [twothumb]

At this point (after what you've been through with Wilwood), I am only considering those, or an ap Racing kit. ;)
I forgot about AP racing but looking at the price I think I made the best choice for my budget right now.

Thanks! Ducting has been off the car since I upgraded brakes. I haven't had the time to modify it but I bought some clamps that will bolt to the lower control arm so that I don't have to zip tie it. Hoping to work on re-fitting them soon. No daily issues as long as you keep everything secure and far enough from the CV boot.

Awesome! Thanks for the update! Any chance you know what sub port you used to replace the fogs? I think I'm going to take a crack at the ducting before this track season!

OP
A
Thread Starter #306
Another quick update:

Still waiting on the StopTech brakes to arrive BUT...

I've ordered Federal RS-RR tires 215/40/17 which will arrive this week.

The plan is to try these as a daily/track combo tire. Then when they wear out I will look at getting a second set of wheels and run cheap street tires on one for my long commutes and dedicated track tires on the other. For now this was a way to kick that can down the road and get more traction at the track.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I could have easily beat that price - they are still making plenty of $$ on that kit
Plus Stop Tech shows out of stock of that kit in Red, Black & Yellow - FYI

-Ron

OP
A
Thread Starter #308
I could have easily beat that price - they are still making plenty of $$ on that kit
Plus Stop Tech shows out of stock of that kit in Red, Black & Yellow - FYI

-Ron
Dammit! I'll make sure to check with you on the next parts. Didn't cross my mind.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Another quick update:

Still waiting on the StopTech brakes to arrive BUT...

I've ordered Federal RS-RR tires 215/40/17 which will arrive this week.

The plan is to try these as a daily/track combo tire. Then when they wear out I will look at getting a second set of wheels and run cheap street tires on one for my long commutes and dedicated track tires on the other. For now this was a way to kick that can down the road and get more traction at the track.

I'd like to see what these look like on an 8" wide wheel, and even more so to hear how they perform! ;)

They are a little narrower in tread width than the Star Specs, but they are a little more than HALF the cost of the Dunlops, so the .3" tread width deficit may not be worth it.

OP
A
Thread Starter #310
Tires are here!

I can already tell they are going to have a noticeably wider footprint once they stretch over the 17x8s.

I'm going to keep wearing the rest of the OE tires out before I mount these, but definitely mounting them before the March 12 track day at AMP.

The tread pattern is not nearly as hokey looking in person...

OP
A
Thread Starter #311
I'd like to see what these look like on an 8" wide wheel, and even more so to hear how they perform! ;)

They are a little narrower in tread width than the Star Specs, but they are a little more than HALF the cost of the Dunlops, so the .3" tread width deficit may not be worth it.
That was my motivation...performance per dollar. Figure if they noticeably better than the OEM tires on the track (which suck) I'll be happy for the money.

Tires are here!

I can already tell they are going to have a noticeably wider footprint once they stretch over the 17x8s.

I'm going to keep wearing the rest of the OE tires out before I mount these, but definitely mounting them before the March 12 track day at AMP.

Those look quite sticky! I've heard good things about them and for the $$ vs performance its hard to argue. Look forward to seeing how they look and your thoughts at the track!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

NO MORE "hokey" than BFG's 'flame pattern' KDWs of a few years ago;

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...bE1rSz4XEd8r9nXv-xBazO0oA6KLZhi6Ik-WENLUD2eDw

[wink]

Depending on your review of them, I may just have to put these on my 17x8 1.2s, over the Star Specs I was planning on using, (and which I suspect will wear out on the street possibly even quicker than these will) for almost twice the price.

OP
A
Thread Starter #316
^^ Ah yes, I remember those BFGs!

So...started to put the StopTechs on today. Ran into an issue...

The wheel is not even close to clearing! I'm going to go get some more washers from Home Depot to see if I can figure out how thick of a spacer. I'm skeptical that there are many wheels that would clear these as you can see from the photos the freaking caliper is flush or further out than my fender! Probably need extended studs and a really thick 20mm or greater spacer to clear. Then there is no way in hell the tire is going to clear the fender. Then you get into wide front track vs rear track issues.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What the eff did Stop Tech say?? [???:)]

Their instructions, or product descriptions for these did not mention spacers/etc. at all? [mad]

OP
A
Thread Starter #319
More photos of the fitment. I had to go up to 12mm of washers minimum to clear the caliper by about 1mm.

That effectively puts the wheel fitment to clear at +28 offset. There is no freaking way anyone even makes a 4x108 in that offset and no way to fit it under the stock fenders.

I just don't see another wheel with similar offset to the Titan (+40 17x8) with 12mm more of inner spoke clearance, because that is what it would take. et40 is already aggressive for fitment on these cars.

StopTech told me to pound sand pretty much. The only thing that I got out of them was when I asked about the SEMA car that had the StopTechs (Cobb I think) they said Cobb asked for the fitment and that is what went into the catalog. Seemed to imply that car had some some work of wide body work but hard to see that in the photos I found. So I basically asked why a kit designed for a wider body would be sold in their catalog without denoting that. Basically they again just said it was up to the customer to use the fitting templates to make sure their kits clear wheels. I can't imagine anything clearing these brakes on the stock body.