Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dr ColorChip for Shadow Black/Tuxedo?

I'm looking at the Dr ColorChip website and see that they have touch up paint for our cars but for black it doesn't separate Tuxedo Black Pearl and Shadow Black. Are those colors basically the same? I have a '16 Shadow Black and need to touch it up and don't want to get the wrong thing.

Check it out. I entered 2016>Ford>Fiesta and the only black option has Tuxedo Black Pearl and Shadow Black listed together. http://www.drcolorchip.com/store/basic-paint-chip-repair-kit.php

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
I've used that stuff before and I was not impressed. For my TB Fiesta I use Turtle Was Color Magic wax - comes with a lipstick repair tool and the black wax - keeps the car looking fantastic and hides paint scratches/chips very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T...469057&sr=8-1&keywords=color+magic+turtle+wax
How is that color matched though? Maybe I misread but if it's just a general black it will be different right?

I have a small stone chip on my driver's door. It's all the way to the metal. So I'm looking for a paint that's as close matched as I can get.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
How is that color matched though? Maybe I misread but if it's just a general black it will be different right?

I have a small stone chip on my driver's door. It's all the way to the metal. So I'm looking for a paint that's as close matched as I can get.

You are correct it's generic. If the chip is tiny it won't be noticeable but if it's decent size you might not be happy with the product I recommended. But my experience with Dr. ColorChip wasn't good - I got the supposed perfect match for one of my other cars and it is far from a perfect match, a good bit darker in fact and too metallized. But that's just my experience, others might have had better results.

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
You are correct it's generic. If the chip is tiny it won't be noticeable but if it's decent size you might not be happy with the product I recommended. But my experience with Dr. ColorChip wasn't good - I got the supposed perfect match for one of my other cars and it is far from a perfect match, a good bit darker in fact and too metallized. But that's just my experience, others might have had better results.
I appreciate the tip. Hopefully someone can chime in who tried Dr ColorChip to help me decide.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Reposted from a Focus site

My wife got me this kit for father's day and I've been wanting to give it a try. Finally made some time this weekend and thought you guys might find this information useful.

What the kit comes with (Touch-up Paint, Brushes, Blending Solution, Blending Cloth, Microfiber Towel).

Step 1 - Open Package and READ the Instructions.

If you are doing a lot at once, I would suggest using blue tape to mark the areas.

Step 2 - Locate the paint chips.

Step 3 - Thoroughly clean the area with rubbing alcohol.

Step 4 - This is optional, but I use a bit of aerosol as a precaution.

Step 5 - Apply the paint next to the chip.

Step 6 - Smear the paint onto the chip.

Step 7 - Allow the paint to dry for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Step 8 - Apply the blending solution to the cloth.

Step 9 - Use mild pressure to remove the excess paint.

Step 10 - Buff with microfiber towel.

Step 11 - Results after 1 application.

According to the instructions, you may need to repeat these steps several times to get the paint to blend better.

Conclusion
While this won't get your paint looking like new or perfect, it does what its supposed to do and much easier to apply than the touch-up pens. And from far it does make the chips appear less noticeable.

Overall I gave this product a 7/10, simply because it was pretty pricey and the results did not come out as flawless as I had hoped. I would recommend this as a temporary solution for repairing chips or a quick way to increase your car's value before resale.

_

Shadow Black is completely different than Tuxedo Black - all the Ford models switched over to Shadow Black for 2016. Tux is a very flake-rich paint, whereas Shadow is a fairly old-school gloss black - best bet would be to pick up the touch-up kit from your dealership if you want it to match. The new Motorcraft touch-up paint comes with a surface prep tip (abrasive), color coat, and clearcoat. (Source: I work at a Ford dealership and touch up lots of cars. Motorcraft paint matches 99% of the time.)

I tried Dr. Colorchip on my wife's metallic grey Honda. Color match wasn't great. It colored in the chip, but didn't build to the level of the scratch after multiple applications, hoping that a few coats would build up. I'd call it OK - it's less noticeable, it's not a show car, but I wouldn't buy it for my ST.