Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MR230 from Mountune

OP
KentRatke
Thread Starter #21
I ordered on sale and also managed to score 15% off the total order. As I am converting into Canadian dollars ($1 CDN is about $0.75 US right now) it made a huge difference in the total price. I would always try to order direct unless you could get a smoking deal.

OP
KentRatke
Thread Starter #22
Interested to hearing your thoughts. I have MP215 now, have been saving up for MR230 upgrade but on the fence about that now given that there is a Mountune turbo upgrade around the corner that requires bigger intercooler than MR230 kit...interested to hear your 230 review
Hi CSM, sorry for the delay. I wasn't able to take it out as intended. I have now had a chance to both drive it in a performance setting as well as commute in it (currently I drive about 100 miles per day). Good news is, it doesn't drone on the highway while keeping a steady speed of about 80mph.

It torque steers a little bit more now under heavy acceleration, you do need to adjust your driving style a bit. Exhaust sounds good, but the chrome tips are hard to keep clean since they are really on show now. Induction sounds good. I think EVO did a good job on their review.

Yeah, the MR265 upgrade with the massive intercooler looks interesting. I did read though that because of our American mandated front crash bars that the global model (2 door) dosn't have, it may not be available for our models. However, that is just speculation, but does make a good point.

Let me know if you want any other info! I would be more than happy to help. Something I want to do and haven't had a chance is to try and get a "real world" 0-60 time (keeping in mind I am a crap driver compared to a pro). Should be interesting to see what improvements have been made if any in the time.

meFiSTo

Yeah, the MR265 upgrade with the massive intercooler looks interesting. I did read though that because of our American mandated front crash bars that the global model (2 door) dosn't have, it may not be available for our models. However, that is just speculation, but does make a good point.

I've got the MR230 tune and most of the hardware bits as well. I did not get some of the lower priority plumbing. I'm contemplating the MRX upgrade for a winter overhaul. As you suggest, any US turbo upgrade will not include the larger mountune FMIC due to fitment issues with the US crash beam.

I shared the very short responses from Randy et al regarding the planned US turbo upgrade in one of the two threads in this subforum addressing their hoped-for turbo enhancement. The link below drops you into the spot where I inserted a clarifying comment from mountune LLC (US subsidiary).

Mountune MR265 Hybrid Turbo Kit Available for Pre-order (UK)

In another brief exchange, mountune responded with this in a FB chat:

MOUNTUNE LLC Facebook Comment said:
Our tall IC will not fit USA cars. Our existing IC works great with our larger turbo and there is no degradation in power. Rest assured the performance is incredible.
I've been asking around a little regarding options for a more efficient IC to go with the MRX package, but have not heard back from anyone at this point. My local race shop agreed with conventional wisdom that inserting a bigger IC should not have much effect on the big turbo and new tune's baseline performance, but *could* help stabilize/reduce charge air temps (depending on the replacement IC). The specific IC could have different effects on air pressure, etc. (which I have not really seriously investigated). For a stock fitment setup (which is what I'd keep because i want to keep the stock crash beam), it appears that the pricey CPE part is the best compromise solution. We'll see.

Hey everyone, thanks for this thread, very useful information. I have a 2014 Fiesta ST with the MP215 package and am considering the MR230 upgrade as well. Given that the car is already 2 years old, the major question for me is whether installation of the MR230 will create issues at the DMV. Here in my state (Pacific NW, USA), the emissions testing is done strictly by plugging into the OBDII port and checking to see if certain OBD diagnostics report a "Ready" status ("Misfire, Fuel System, Component, Catalyst, Evap, O2 Sensor, Comm, DLC, MIL etc). The above posts seem to suggest that even after the install of the MR230, the OBD system would report readiness in these areas. Am I reading the posts correctly? Thanks.

OP
KentRatke
Thread Starter #25
As far as I understand it, yes. I can send you a screenshot of diagnostic on the weekend if you want. Just pm me your email.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For a stock fitment setup (which is what I'd keep because I want to keep the stock crash beam), it appears that the pricey CPE part is the best compromise solution. We'll see.
I've come to that same conclusion as well, but no one it seems can definitively tell me whether or not the DHM Race IC would/could be any better for/with (or maybe even worse for??) a STOCK turbo setup (with NO intention of ever going hybrid/BT), OR whether or not the CP-E is 'enough' IC for a strong hybrid, or more so, a high powered, BIG turbo kit. [???:)]

meFiSTo

Hey everyone, thanks for this thread, very useful information. I have a 2014 Fiesta ST with the MP215 package and am considering the MR230 upgrade as well. Given that the car is already 2 years old, the major question for me is whether installation of the MR230 will create issues at the DMV. Here in my state (Pacific NW, USA), the emissions testing is done strictly by plugging into the OBDII port and checking to see if certain OBD diagnostics report a "Ready" status ("Misfire, Fuel System, Component, Catalyst, Evap, O2 Sensor, Comm, DLC, MIL etc). The above posts seem to suggest that even after the install of the MR230, the OBD system would report readiness in these areas. Am I reading the posts correctly? Thanks.
In WA (at least in King County), cars after 2009 do not get any smog testing at all.

Having said that, Randy Robles seemed to suggest that the MR230 tune would somehow prevent the computer from setting the Ready flag (and would thus not pass an OBDII test), however, I did not follow up after we exchanged some initial mail on the topic (once I determined that WA/King County did not smog check 2014 cars).

OP
KentRatke
Thread Starter #28
Hi All,

I thought I would post the full emissions test from the Access-port handset since a few people have asked for it. Everything looks OK except for the Catalyst.

I/M readiness - Ready
Number of DTCS: 0
Misfire: ready
Fuel system: ready
Comprehensive: component ready
Catalyst: not ready
Heated catalyst: not applicable
Evaporative system: ready
Oxygen sensor: ready
Oxygen sensor: heater ready
exhaust gas re-circulation system: ready

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Hi All,

I thought I would post the full emissions test from the Access-port handset since a few people have asked for it. Everything looks OK except for the Catalyst.

I/M readiness - Ready
Thank you. What Downpipe do you run again?

How noticeable is the performance gain with the 230? Numbers would be nice obviously, but is the gain subtle or brutally obvious?

OP
KentRatke
Thread Starter #33
It is pretty noticeable, but not overly powerful. I think that the Evo review sums up the driving experience the best (https://goo.gl/QSKM5R). The overall feel of the drive is better, you get more feedback in terms of sound from the induction in the engine and the exhaust note. I would also recommend pairing with a motor mount, as the extra torque will slap your engine against the firewall even more.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Hi All,

I/M readiness - Ready
Checked mine this morning the catalytic is ready. yours not ready may be just requireing more driving. I will read up more on that or you could ask Randy @ moutnune for details.

It is pretty noticeable, but not overly powerful. I think that the Evo review sums up the driving experience the best (https://goo.gl/QSKM5R). The overall feel of the drive is better, you get more feedback in terms of sound from the induction in the engine and the exhaust note. I would also recommend pairing with a motor mount, as the extra torque will slap your engine against the firewall even more.
THe part in bold is a misnomer, the sound heard is the RMM bottoming out and since its a hard mount on the chassis is heard everywhere.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Congrats [MENTION=2232]KentRatke[/MENTION] on the purchase! Gotta see your car at a meet sometime! 0-60 on this car is quite hard to improve with more power unless you put some super sticky tires one it. The exchange killed me with all my purchases but I couldn't wait lol, it's sad that Arcade shut down, I had bought the ethanol tune as well. Maybe we can all go for a drive on a nice curvy road when the weathers good one day:)

Thanks for the article reference Kent. It was informative for sure. Ive already got the stickier rubber that they mentioned would be helpful. Now I just need to pony up for the 230 kit. Ive only got 5000 miles on my car right now though, so Im not super interested in voiding my warranty so soon haha.

Checked mine this morning the catalytic is ready. yours not ready may be just requireing more driving. I will read up more on that or you could ask Randy @ moutnune for details.

THe part in bold is a misnomer, the sound heard is the RMM bottoming out and since its a hard mount on the chassis is heard everywhere.
Canadian Guy, if it is not too much trouble, would you mind posting a screen shot or a printout of your emissions diagnostic? If there is a way for me to have some certainty that the codes will read "ready" at my local DEQ test station (I am in Oregon), this would be a major factor in deciding whether to purchase the MR230 upgrade. Thanks!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Canadian Guy, if it is not too much trouble, would you mind posting a screen shot or a printout of your emissions diagnostic? If there is a way for me to have some certainty that the codes will read "ready" at my local DEQ test station (I am in Oregon), this would be a major factor in deciding whether to purchase the MR230 upgrade. Thanks!
I'm only running the mp215. Only missing the the dp to jump into the mr230. Like you the emission questions and how much the dp is a pita are holding me back.

OP
KentRatke
Thread Starter #39
I will try and give it a good outing and then re-test again. I will let you know the results.

Just an update: I emailed Randy at Mountune USA and his sense was that the MR230 calibration would result in the Catalyst reporting not ready. Would still love an update from you Kent after you've had a chance to drive the car around a bit. Again, thanks for everyone's help and feedback.