Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission fluid change

A7xogg

Just a suggestion. Change out the fluid without delay, to one of the products (somewhere) listed in this post! I did a Motul 300 75/90 (Woosh plug inserted here, thx Ron) yesterday and it is a great improvement. Clunking is gone, throws are smooth. I have an AWR RMM and cable mount bushings, but they did nothing for the (obviously) internal conflagration that was going on in the tranny. Easy job, finding the right tubing was the hardest part. Well, disposing of the used fluid is a close 2nd.
Back on topic I ordered some ravenol mtf-2 cause I'm currently using their motor oil and I like it. I remember I'm the Civic forum mtf was a huge discussion and lead to stuff like this all the time. Mtf should be changed out alot more frequently than 95% of us do, especially if you do any kind of racing. Anyway change it

Jeff, FWIW, I lost my original trans running the OEM Ford DCTF at 6,000 miles due to output bearing shaft failure. 4,000 miles later on the new trans, I switched to Motul 300. I’m currently sitting at 70k miles with zero issues, and you know how much power I’m putting down, so I’d say you’re pretty safe with the Motul 300. I changed it for some fresh Motul at 50k, and noticed it had sheared down some.

Side note: When I drained to DCTF to put in the Motul 300, I actually drained 2.2L out of the trans. I called Ford and spoke to the master tech, who told me that when a FiST came in with a bad output bearing, they’re instructed by engineering to overfill the new trans. Apparently, the standard fill spec is a suspect in causing the bearing to fail. In any case, he told me to put at least 2L in, so that’s what I did. 2 full liters of Motul 300 went in, and again later when I put fresh fluid in. Like I said, zero issues all this time later, not even a leaky axle seal. Shifts smooth and quiet.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Amsoil and Motul are the only oils I would ever consider using in any car. Those are like the two best oils money can buy.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Ravenol REP 5W-30 which is in the sump right now, and their DXG D1G2 5W-30 which I just ordered (they FINALLY got it in stock at Blauparts!!) is one of the best spec oils on the planet right about now for DI turbo cars!

But yeah, IF I had to pick a 5W-20 to use right now, it would be the current Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20.
Contrary to popular belief, they are NOT a 'pyramid scheme' company, and one does NOT have to participate in their 'MLM' (which so many seem to HATE on) IF one does not want to. [wink]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The Ravenol REP 5W-30 which is in the sump right now, and their DXG D1G2 5W-30 which I just ordered (they FINALLY got it in stock at Blauparts!!) is one of the best spec oils on the planet right about now for DI turbo cars!

But yeah, IF I had to pick a 5W-20 to use right now, it would be the current Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20.
Contrary to popular belief, they are NOT a 'pyramid scheme' company, and one does NOT have to participate in their 'MLM' (which so many seem to HATE on) IF one does not want to. [wink]
How much for a qt?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Info is here.

They have all kinds of stuff that fit the Fiesta on there. There's different 20 weight oils depending on how many miles you want to go. The Signature is the most expensive but lasts the longest. That's the one I use currently.
Not Ams oil...the other stuff!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

They have tranny fluid and what not as well. I used to use Mobil 1 until a friend of mine showed me that stuff. I noticed that my oil consumption went down dramatically in my girlfriend's car after we switched her over.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That might be the old stock, Dexo 1 ONLY (NOT Dexos 1, GEN2) stuff which Blauparts was blowing out on clearance to make way for the new formula D1G2, MUCH SUPERIOR (even less volatility, lower LSPI events, stronger, (but lower calcium/sodium) add pack, and higher PAO/POE base stock content), DXG. ;)

I cannot read the label clearly enough to see if that is the Dexos 1 ONLY logo on the label, or if it is the Dexos1 Gen 2 logo. [dunno]

That might be the old stock, Dexo 1 ONLY (NOT Dexos 1, GEN2) stuff which Blauparts was blowing out on clearance to make way for the new formula D1G2, MUCH SUPERIOR (even less volatility, lower LSPI events, stronger, (but lower calcium/sodium) add pack, and higher PAO/POE base stock content), DXG. ;)

I cannot read the label clearly enough to see if that is the Dexos 1 ONLY logo on the label, or if it is the Dexos1 Gen 2 logo. [dunno]

It is gen 1 per the eBay description.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club

I do not have the oil knowledge you have.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Here is the complete list of Dexos1 Gen 2 oils, plenty of inexpensive ones on here... and the new SN+ rating isn't even as difficult to achieve as Gen 2, so this list is one of the best to go with... Interestingly, there is an Amazon Basics oil listed that doesn't even exist on Amazon, maybe they decided against selling it? Anyway, also even AutoZone Synthetic on here... To each their own, but I'd rather change my oil a little more often for $25 with a solid choice like Castrol Edge, then spend $50 for the same rating.

https://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

For the transmission, the Ravenol MTX-2 meets Ford spec, so I'll go with that...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Here is the complete list of Dexos1 Gen 2 oils, plenty of inexpensive ones on here... and the new SN+ rating isn't even as difficult to achieve as Gen 2, so this list is one of the best to go with... Interestingly, there is an Amazon Basics oil listed that doesn't even exist on Amazon, maybe they decided against selling it? Anyway, also even AutoZone Synthetic on here... To each their own, but I'd rather change my oil a little more often for $25 with a solid choice like Castrol Edge, then spend $50 for the same rating.

https://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

For the transmission, the Ravenol MTX-2 meets Ford spec, so I'll go with that...
AGAIN, they are ALL really good, and you cannot go wrong with ANY of them.

But like you said, to each their own, and I personally like that little extra 'overkill headroom' of the top 'boutique oils' (that go WELL BEYOND merely meeting the specs, to actually beating them by FAR!), even if I am changing it out in less than 4K miles. [wink]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
AGAIN, they are ALL really good, and you cannot go wrong with ANY of them.

But like you said, to each their own, and I personally like that little extra 'overkill headroom' of the top 'boutique oils' (that go WELL BEYOND merely meeting the specs, to actually beating them by FAR!), even if I am changing it out in less than 4K miles. [wink]
Absolutely fair enough, it's satisfying to use good stuff and change the oil frequently... Just as a countering side, guys have sent in the expensive stuff and mid-range stuff to Blackwell for analysis and they all come back as the same: Good for 7500-8000 miles... There is also that "really long oil blog with testing results" and there was quite a mix between solid mid-range and expensive stuff in the top 10... It all depends on personal preference at some point and if you have more money than time on your hands to research the best value on every little tiny thing, you choose where you find your value.. Can't really bag another man's opinion on which road they take as long as it ends up doing your engine good.

Edit: This has similar test results as the "really long oil test blog", Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is on top of this one with Lucas and Motul and whatnot right up there too: http://www.motoroiltests.com/

dmb

Is that the Amway that my neighbors wife was always bothering me to buy? who knew? just a joke I know what you meant. 10yr old SG dino oil is better than the the modern tree hugger dino oil of today. and most 1959 ford 9 inch lasted so long was because it was such a good rear end with a extra pinion bearing and 200 hp.

Amsoil meets/exceeds DEXO standards. I would never buy any oil that doesn't proudly publish their ASTM testing results. You have no idea what garbage you're putting in your engine or transmission. Just because it says "synthetic" on it doesn't always mean it's a good oil. I'm very picky about what stuff I put in my cars.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Is that the Amway that my neighbors wife was always bothering me to buy? who knew? just a joke I know what you meant. 10yr old SG dino oil is better than the the modern tree hugger dino oil of today. and most 1959 ford 9 inch lasted so long was because it was such a good rear end with a extra pinion bearing and 200 hp.
Can I interest you in Herbalife ? Ford 9 inch is under every car in Nascar .

Quisp

1000 Post Club
The amusement park I work at runs Mark Williams 9's upside down and backwards. Torco diff fluid worked the best at keeping them alive for 80,000 miles in a 6,000lb vehicle.