Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission fluid change

koozy

3000 Post Club
Anyone have a diagram of the trann6 showing the drain and fill holes?

Thanks in advance.
8mm hex for both plugs. drain plug on the driver side under the battery area. clear tube in the photo from funnel is to the fill hole.

Drain plug.
drain.JPG

Drain plug.jpg

Fill plug.
fill2.JPG

fillhole.jpg

koozy

3000 Post Club
Did you take some fluid out after filling it?
no I didn't have to, because I measured exactly what came out and put the exact amount back in. that's the reason I preferred to use a funnel instead of a pump. I knew if I were pouring it in I'd get it more accurate than pumping fluid in.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
no I didn't have to, because I measured exactly what came out and put the exact amount back in. that's the reason I preferred to use a funnel instead of a pump. I knew if I were pouring it in I'd get it more accurate than pumping fluid in.
Finally someone who knows how to get the same amount back in that they took out! I'd been telling people for years.....it takes the guess work out of filling it back up.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Finally someone who knows how to get the same amount back in that they took out! I'd been telling people for years.....it takes the guess work out of filling it back up.
Yes as long as you account/check for leaks and compare to what the manual states. Would suck if you only drain 1 cup and only put 1 cup back. [giggle] TO be fair this is the first car I have owned that the fill is not "fill to the fill hole". That is zero guess work process.

OP
konatodd
Thread Starter #10
Lots of suspended metals in the fluid after 10400 miles. Koozy, thanks for help. I'll rep you when I get back on a real computer.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
[MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] approximately how much fluid was it? more so that I know what size container I should get. thx

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
[MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION] thanks. I'm at work and can't get to my manual right now. And now Google knows too :D

koozy

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] approximately how much fluid was it? more so that I know what size container I should get. thx
just under 2liters. What I used were 2 clear empty Ocean Spray 64oz. juice bottles. One for the old fluid and one for the new fluid. Easily matched the levels through the see through bottles.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
OEM is black, watery, and not slick. Felt like it was done. They use the thinner lighter stuff because it's easier to push around. (mileage in other words) It also helps reduce stock and save mucho dinero if they can reuse the same thing across entire swaths of their model lines.

Bought Castrol SynTrans TransAxle 75W-90. (the OEM is 75W-80) [EDIT 24y01m31d: Haven't heard obnoxiously loud clack noise since passenger side ENGINE MOUNT was replaced. /EDIT] Re the clack noise as you load the trans, it's likely slack in the differential or slack in the axles... some reports that new fluid took care of it, some reports that new axles worked, some reports that new axles worked temporarily. If it's the the diff this may make the difference.

I got roughly 1.6L out and was planning on just putting it in until it ran out, then sucking enough out to be the 2016 service manual spec of 20mm or 1" from the hole. I stopped adding at 2.5L in LoL. With the front end jacked, that happened to be 1" from the hole. This weekend I'll get around to raising the rear to level out the vehicle and put it in spec. It'll be interesting if it takes more than 1.6L to get to the 20mm/1" from the hole. [confused]

My last man-trans had a sense of humor when it came to punishing me for overfilling it. (and it wasn't by much) It lubed my shoes while driving it. [wiggle] The seal in the speed sensor blew, fluid would ride up the speedometer cable, out the back of the speedometer, and drip down onto my shoes. [confuse]

EDIT: https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum...n-Fluid-Change?p=296958&viewfull=1#post296958

EDIT: https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...9401C8025790A0066B142/$File/BPXE-8LRA39_0.pdf

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
EDIT:
See "SteveS" post here:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/stressed-need-insight.22830/post-388533
/EDIT

=====================================================================================================
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
=====================================================================================================

There could be a bit of a "capacity controversy" going on.
The factory put in 1.6, but it may actually take >2L?
This may explain why the fluid seemed so worn out, and the clacking noise as the transaxle is loaded?? (could be differential or axle shafts - yet to confirm)

Search "(B6)" in the 2016 owner's manual.
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals/sitemap.html

============
On page 241 it lists:

On page 242 it lists:
===========
On page 238 it lists:

On page 239 it lists:
============

The first serial is the specification. The second serial is the Ford part number for the Motorcraft fluid.

Re spec, reportedly,
  • WSD = 75W-90
  • WSS = 75W-80
The WSD spec that was mentioned is for the 5-speed manual that accompanies the 1.0L EcoBoost, the "IB5" transmission. Note that the description for the IB5 says "Manual Transmission Fluid". The description for the B6 says "Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid" instead of manual. Personally, I decided on 3L of Castrol's 75W-90 SynTrans TransAxle fluid.

Anyway, sidetrack aside, I checked the 2016 Service Manual and it matches the Owner's Manual on the spec and part numbers, for both the "B5/IB5" and "B6" transmissions. So this is good.

Owner and Service Manuals do agree on spec and part serials but they differ slightly on capacities.

Onwer's Manual capacities:
  • B6 = 1.6L
  • ib5 = 2.1L

Service Manual Capacities:
  • B6 = 1.67L
  • B5/IB5 = 2.3L

Service Manual is more precise with a spec of "1.67L" on the B6, and adds 8.6% more fluid for the B5/IB5 at "2.3L". However, this is not the controversy.

Refill Instructions for Service Manual:
Put in fluid until it reaches the Fill Hole.
  • B6 = "Remove enough fluid to be 1 in (20mm) below the fill hole."
  • B5/IB5 = 'It combines instructions as "B5/IB5" and says (via graphic only) "5-10mm" from fill hole.'

As mentioned in the beginning, I got approximately 1.6L of the OEM fluid out. I didn't check the level before draining, but refilling with ~1.6L did not put the fluid anywhere near the manual spec 20mm/1" from the fill hole.

So I'm wondering whether the refill is actually ~2.1L and the factory + ford documentation goofed? Next person that refills, can you corroborate my observations?

Given that vehicle tilt makes a massive difference in fill "capacity" or distance from the fill hole, I did use a ground lever on the garage floor, and also measured the distance of the apex of the wheel well from ground.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OEM is black, watery, and not slick. Felt like it was done. They use the thinner lighter stuff because it's easier to push around. (mileage in other words) It also helps reduce stock and save mucho dinero if they can reuse the same thing across entire swaths of their model lines.

Bought Castrol SynTrans TransAxle 75W-90. (the OEM is 75W-80) Re the clack noise as you load the trans, it's likely slack in the differential or slack in the axles... some reports that new fluid took care of it, some reports that new axles worked, some reports that new axles worked temporarily. If it's the the diff this may make the difference.

I got roughly 1.6L out and was planning on just putting it in until it ran out, then sucking enough out to be the 2016 service manual spec of 20mm or 1" from the hole. I stopped adding at 2.5L in LoL. With the front end jacked, that happened to be 1" from the hole. This weekend I'll get around to raising the rear to level out the vehicle and put it in spec. It'll be interesting if it takes more than 1.6L to get to the 20mm/1" from the hole. [confused]

My last man-trans had a sense of humor when it came to punishing me for overfilling it. (and it wasn't by much) It lubed my shoes while driving it. [wiggle] The seal in the speed sensor blew, fluid would ride up the speedometer cable, out the back of the speedometer, and drip down onto my shoes. [confuse]

EDIT: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...n-Fluid-Change?p=296958&viewfull=1#post296958

I just put the whole 2 liters of Gear 300 in when I did mine.

It did not run out of the fill hole, but I let the factory fluid drain for many HOURS (to not even a slow drip every 5 minutes!) before refilling. ;)

I plan on doing the same with the Ravenol MTF-2 in the coming week.
I figure that our transaxle is NOT under any kind of extreme pressure (like a pressurized engine oil system), and it IS vented, so even with some heat (and possible minor aeration? [dunno]) expansion, ~0.3 liter is NOT going to be a problem as far as seals and such go. :)