Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

side skirts glue being undone in the heat

Hi all, its been a hot few weeks and it seems the 90+ degree days and the black color of my car can't quite keep it together...literally

the driver side skirt extensions are coming apart at the glue. is this covered by the warranty? will blue painter's tape work until it is fixed?

This is happening on my passenger side. I tried to double side tape it back in place but it didn't work.

rexdriver85

Bummer. I'll have to keep a lookout for this.

Blue painters tape most definitely will not work.

This is the stuff I would try. Although you should be covered under warranty. Let us know what happens if you bring it in. Good luck. [emoji106]

IMG_3721.JPG

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
just a followup:
the dealer replaced the entire left (driver) side skirt under warranty. a new factory part was painted and installed. took about 3 business days. looks fine except the body shop painted a fresh coat rather than try and color-match the 3 year old paint. in 90% of all lighting conditions, you can't tell unless you know to look. i suppose its just spilt milk [facepalm].

on another note, there was already a PPF installed on the side skirt when i bought the car. anybody know where to get a replacement? XPEL/3M/Lamin-X don't list the side skirt on their website. Thanks.

AzNightmare

just a followup:
the dealer replaced the entire left (driver) side skirt under warranty. a new factory part was painted and installed. took about 3 business days. looks fine except the body shop painted a fresh coat rather than try and color-match the 3 year old paint. in 90% of all lighting conditions, you can't tell unless you know to look. i suppose its just spilt milk [facepalm].

on another note, there was already a PPF installed on the side skirt when i bought the car. anybody know where to get a replacement? XPEL/3M/Lamin-X don't list the side skirt on their website. Thanks.
If you're covered by warranty, and the PPF was included in the car (which I think it's standard for all our cars), that should be part of the warranty that the dealer should cover. As long as you didn't stick it on yourself afterward, dealer should be handling it.

Steve@Tasca

Vendor
just a followup:

The OEM part number for the PPF for the drivers side rocker moulding is C1BZ*99292A23*D and yes the dealer should have replaced it if that was a warranty repair.

Passenger side part number for anyone that cares is C1BZ*99292A22*A. We don't stock either side at Tasca right now but we can get them.

-Steve

Interesting, I had the same problem with a black '98 GTI I used to own. The molding tape referenced above worked, but the car was out of warranty. Must be a black car thing...

FB

Steve@Tasca

Vendor
Interesting, I had the same problem with a black '98 GTI I used to own. The molding tape referenced above worked, but the car was out of warranty. Must be a black car thing...

FB
VWs were notorious for quite a while for having the side mouldings fall off, my sister had one and they fell of the rear doors first and then the fronts.

-Steve

OP
M
Thread Starter #12
Thanks for the part numbers. I guess it's back to the dealer. I have to go back anyway, the blend mode actuator behind the dashboard is clicking. 3 months in, and i've been to the dealership for repair 2x. welcome to Ford ownership. [8]

Just FYI, this was happening on my car too, and it's white. PITA to deal with, but they finally fixed the driver's side one. Will have to keep an eye on both sides. I think it's a weak point with the sideskirt.

Just noticed the driver side has become loose in the same spot on my 2015 PB. Guess I'll have to call the dealer.

OP
M
Thread Starter #15
well, it came off again. rather than wait another 3 business days for the body shop to repair it, I might just try the automotive moulding tape. any tips? scrape off the old, wipe with alcohol, and reapply? should I clamp the skirt to the body while it cures?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^My Ford dealer told me it IS covered by the warranty, but that they will only fix it by replacing and repainting the WHOLE side skirt, NOT by using a super adhesive to put it back.

This would entail them having the car for many days, and even with them giving me a loaner, I did not want to chance the color mismatch potential by letting them do this.

I may try to find either a smaller quantity, or a cheaper version of that CO$TLY 3M adhesive (~$120.00 for a 14 oz. cartridge tube), and fix this myself. ;)

Consider yourself lucky my dealership said it didn't fall under warranty and mine loosened up after 1k miles. Won't be using that dealership again...ended up going to a body shop that did it for $80 because the clip also snapped along the skirt.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Replace the factory tape with 3M VHB 5952 industrial strength adhesive tape (operating temp -40F to 250F / tensile strength 90lbs)...

3M Scotch 5952 VHB Tape: 1/2 in. x 15 ft. (Black)
Thanks BoostBumps! [thumb]

I may try that before trying another dealer which might be willing to glue it back without all of the replace/respray hassles. ;)

GAbOS

Darker colors absorb heat faster/better than lighter colors. Just need to find some non-permanent adhesive that can handle the heat.