Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Some days at the track are better than others

meFiSTo

After three progressively better track days at The Ridge this summer, I had a lousy day last Saturday.

It was really hot (at least 97 deg F, but registered well over 100 deg F by some on-site thermometers) and the organizer's program was not a good match for my expectations. I should have known that based on my last track days with them many, many years ago. But I forgot.

I posted some notes about my less-than-ideal day at the track on my build thread.

Here's a pic from the day:

Win some. Lose some.

Main takeaway: Stick with groups that I KNOW will be enjoyable.

Any problems with overheating? being 100 degrees out do you log coolant temps...?

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #3
Any problems with overheating? being 100 degrees out do you log coolant temps...?
I had no problems to the best of my knowledge. Having said that, I was not on-track for nearly as long as I would have liked due to the crappy experience I was having with this group's program. Nonetheless, the car did not drop into limp mode. I did not monitor coolant or air intake temps. I could have with the mountune AP, but just didn't. Lazy. If I'd gotten into any trouble (limp mode, etc.), I might have.

I do have the larger Mishimoto radiator and their oil cooler, plus I have added some hood vents and removed the sound deadening insulation. I'm hoping those changes all have some incremental cooling effects. How much? Hard to know without more monitoring and/or instrumenting. Not my thing. I also run 50/50 Mishimoto CHILL and distilled water.

The wheels and brakes were VERY hot to the touch in the afternoon. I might have experienced a little fade in my only afternoon session. Brakes are being bled today. Running Torque RT700 fluid. The pads are starting to show wear, so there might be one event left on them. There was about 5 to 7 mm left when I started the day. With barely 35 minutes of cumulative track time on them, I hope they'll be good at least for one more full day. Cantrell folks are taking a look as part of a nut and bolt. It was SO hot that I want some eyes on all the brake bits.

Probably not much help. Good luck in your summer adventures.

Yeah its too hot most of the track days don't start till next month here in Arizona... What are your cruising coolant temperatures when it gets up to ~100 degrees with that misimoto radiator?

Siestarider

Always good to have track experiences shared, not the best is also informative. Thanks for this report.

I tracked at PBIR last week, got the overheat symbol on dash, coolant temps around 245. Put heater on and dropped back into 230's. I have homemade hood vents, could feel hot air coming out. No other cooling mods. Power not pulled that I could feel, but on an experimental tune.

My experience just too durn hot. I did not drive well even by my amateur standards. In progress tune did not run very well, not enough power. Rival S felt greasy and still used up a lot of rubber. First experience with Wilwood front brakes and Carbotech XP 10 pads. Not as progressive as stock setup. Worked fine, I just did not feel comfortable on them.

Heat paint on Wilwood rotors indicated inside of rotors above hats did not exceed 750F. It rained before I could get wheels off to check rotor edges, so lost rest of the data.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #6
Yeah its too hot most of the track days don't start till next month here in Arizona... What are your cruising coolant temperatures when it gets up to ~100 degrees with that misimoto radiator?
Well, as I mentioned, I have not been using my mountune AP to log temps, although I should. A couple of weeks ago, when I drove down to Shelton for the Cantrell track day, the ambient temps on that Friday were in the mid 80s (by the time I got on the road). The AP (which I was using for that trip) registered air temps of around 93. I did not pay attention to the the coolant temps because the dash indicator basically showed its scale sitting where it always does once warm -- somewhere just above midpoint (like 4 bars). To tell the truth, that's pretty much what it indicates at the track as well. However, I will hook up my AP the next time I'm to the track. I had planned on going down to Portland this Friday, but it might rain (in which case I will pass).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The pads are starting to show wear, so there might be one event left on them. There was about 5 to 7 mm left when I started the day. With barely 35 minutes of cumulative track time on them, I hope will be good for one more full day.
Which pads are you running with this most recent iteration again?