Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Share your <$100 mods that you'd recommend

Original J-Pat

I made a thread on my Toyota forum a few years ago like this and it was very helpful so I thought I'd see what we can share here. The idea is to have one thread that's a resource for simple and cheap but effective mods that might inspire others. With one member recently starting the 3rd brake light pulse craze (thanks Again!!) it got me thinking about this.

So let's hear it....good mods on the cheap....what are they?

My list:
$50 = 3rd brake light pulser thing
$9 = e brake cover
$35 = Velossatech 2 tone badge
$70 = quick shift adapter
$3 = Symposer delete
$20 = EZ lip
$4 = Homelink unit
$10 = vinyl overlays
$30 = dead pedal
Do you have more info on that third brake light???

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Tranny fluid change.nmake a difference, more then I would have thought. $40 Canadian $30 use for Royal Purple Synchromax. Did it today and did a long hewvy shifting drive and very happy. I'm sure other tranny oil would make the same difference so pick what you like.

Siestarider

My favorites:

Symposer delete, 4 rubber discs cut from an old innertube and stuffed into the symposer hose, tune to your preference with # of discs: free

Nose badge: remove, take apart, paint background to your color of choice, I matched body color but left blue pinstripe around emblem: $6 duplicolor

Aluminum racing pedal covers, forget brand but by messing around with them achieved much better heel/toe relationships: $40

Fog facia brake air ducts: Cut out the background, install bug screen, 'glass 2" thinwall PVC connectors over back sides: free, had the materials on hand

Fog light high pressure intake: remove DS fog lamp, install bug screen and plumb flex hose to bottom of air box: $25 for flex tubing

Hood vents: Cut openings with angle grinder, seal edges with rubber edging, glue bug screen to rear of openings with goop: $8 for black paint, already had rubber edging, bug screen and goop

This next one is outside the $100 limit, but I am working on a $150 oil cooler, parts ordered, trying to keep lines very short, place cooler behind radiator where shroud flaps are, very experimental, waiting on el cheapo cooler to arrive.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
$30 Dead Pedal
$59 Leather Center Console (redline goods)
$59 Accelerator Pedal Lift Spacer
$4 3ft of Foam Pipe Insulation + Gray Carpet to make fillers to go between seats/console and seats/door frame. With recaros, this means no more games of "HIDE AND GO FIND WHERE YOUR PHONE WENT" under the front seats.

The Recaro seats should be called the "empty pockets" seats shit in your pockets WILL fall out

Intake Snorkel Mod $FREE.99

Foglight Intake Snorkel - Extra Turbo Inlet elbow + OEM lower airbox w/hole cut in bottom of it + Mustang 3.8 Air Intake Snorkel = $fromthestashofparts.99

$4 3ft of Foam Pipe Insulation + Gray Carpet to make fillers to go between seats/console and seats/door frame. With recaros, this means no more games of "HIDE AND GO FIND WHERE YOUR PHONE WENT" under the front seats. ...
I'd like to see what you did here, I'm having trouble visualizing this. Pics?

Sent from my Spaceship

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
For anyone that does their own oil change and have this dip stick

PLEASE do yourself a favour and spend $4 ($6 Canadian at the dealership) and order BM5Z-6750-C. I can finally read the oil level. Who was the genius that thought a black dipstick could ever display the oil level?!? It will look like this.

Capture.JPG

Does it have any separate chapters on FWD performance driving at all?
A separate chapter, I don't think so. Honestly not needed really. The book basically covers everything from the importance of a comfortable seating position to max grip slip rate for tires, very detailed and very thorough. If you are into becoming a better driver this will no doubt help in your understanding of vehicle dynamics, among the many other aspects of driving/racing.

Driving a FWD vehicle isn't too much different on tarmac, if we were talking a loose surface then yes but that is the same for RWD,FWD and AWD. If you have the basis for car control and this book will give it to you then you are good to go. It does get into the differences in drivelines along with many other things.

A FWD vehicle with a slightly loose rear is an amazingly easy vehicle to drive. The way they are set up make them awesome for driving at the limit as long as you know how to manipulate the vehicle. The same physics apply to all vehicles, just the way you manipulate those physics are different.

Here's my list...so far:

$80-95 Muffler delete, save 15lbs, add sound (~$50 labor + cost of your choice of tips + a few bucks for a poor man's symposer delete)
$0 Gas Pedal Spacer 3D printed (Ask a friend/colleague or go to a local makerspace and ask for help to print from this plan to your desired thickness): http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1369818)
$0-1 Rear wiper delete, save 3 lbs (find a suitable rubber plug in your garage or at the hardware store. saves 3lbs, rear wiper sucks anyways)
$5-6 Larger Motorcraft FL400S oil filter
$40 VMS forged aluminum lugs, save .77 lbs of unsprung/rotating mass (only use if you are not letting a shop touch your car and can commit to using antisieze on the studs and hand torqueing every time)
$99 DIY brake ducting (3" subwoofer ports, 8-10 feet of brake hose, zip ties)
$0 Free intake mod (cut opening in shroud to airbox feed)
$0 Free grill airflow mod (pop off front grill horizontal piece, saves half a pound and allows more airflow to the OEM plastic intercooler end tanks)
$0 Delete OEM front shock NVH ballasts, save 2.38 lbs of unsprung weight (I doubt you'll fee the NVH difference, I didnt')
$20-50 HID or LED headlight bulbs
$0 Delete rotor heat shields (create more cooling for brakes, save unsprung weight)
$0 Misc free weight reduction (delete user manual from glove box, engine cover, hood insulation)
$35 Motul RBF600 brake fluid (if you track your car)
$30-50 Driver mod (start with a local autocross to whet your appetite)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
A separate chapter, I don't think so. Honestly not needed really. The book basically covers everything from the importance of a comfortable seating position to max grip slip rate for tires, very detailed and very thorough. If you are into becoming a better driver this will no doubt help in your understanding of vehicle dynamics, among the many other aspects of driving/racing.

Driving a FWD vehicle isn't too much different on tarmac, if we were talking a loose surface then yes but that is the same for RWD,FWD and AWD. If you have the basis for car control and this book will give it to you then you are good to go. It does get into the differences in drivelines along with many other things.

A FWD vehicle with a slightly loose rear is an amazingly easy vehicle to drive. The way they are set up make them awesome for driving at the limit as long as you know how to manipulate the vehicle. The same physics apply to all vehicles, just the way you manipulate those physics are different.
I used to autocross an A2 16V GTI, but that was so long ago, and not owning/driving an FWD for over 20 years, I just want to be sure I am not missing something I did not even know about driving a FWD back then, why I asked. (And yes, that GTI was nowhere near as 'setup' right from the factory as our FiSTs are. ;) )

For anyone that does their own oil change and have this dip stick

PLEASE do yourself a favour and spend $4 ($6 Canadian at the dealership) and order BM5Z-6750-C. I can finally read the oil level. Who was the genius that thought a black dipstick could ever display the oil level?!? It will look like this.

View attachment 11854
Great upgrade! Worth the few dollars!

I'm assuming it's just a sticker.. Just make sure you do the measurements to make sure it's center. Where did you buy it? I scratched my bumper when I tried to fit a mini fridge at three in the morning.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Adding a few more

$10 wheel center cap vinyl
Velossa tech rear diffuser fins
Ebay reversing camera and EBay ELM237 to enable reverse camera

Anyone using a Steering Wheel Cover? Don't want to spend $120 to recover the wheel, but $50 for a real leather slip on or at least nice material cover that keeps the steering wheel looking new too, would be sweet.
Also if it has the centering ring for the top that would be bonus points!