Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What should my next tires be?

Hey everyone, I need some opinions on what tires to go with next on my fist. I'm currently running the fifteen52 turbomacs (17x8) and Yokohama s. Drive tires in 215/40/17. Should I stick with 215/40/17 or run a 205/45/17 Michelin PSS tire? If I keep the 215/40/17 setup then I'm looking at Yokohama advan neova ADO8R or Dunlop direzza ZII star specs. Tire will be DD and some auto X use. Maybe once a month. Thanks for advice and opinions in advance guys.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Hey everyone, I need some opinions on what tires to go with next on my fist. I'm currently running the fifteen52 turbomacs (17x8) and Yokohama s. Drive tires in 215/40/17. Should I stick with 215/40/17 or run a 205/45/17 Michelin PSS tire? If I keep the 215/40/17 setup then I'm looking at Yokohama advan neova ADO8R or Dunlop direzza ZII star specs. Tire will be DD and some auto X use. Maybe once a month. Thanks for advice and opinions in advance guys.
Stick with the 215/40/17. 205/45/17 is too big of a side wall and you lose contact patch. Also you're comparing a UHP tire to a Max performance/autocross tires. Totally different performance and wear categories. Take it from me, the Michelin ride like crap. If you're only going to do the occasional autocross, I would go with something like Falken Azenis RT615k which is a super sticky max performance summer tire or my personal favorites Federal 595 Evo. Super cheap, under $100 per tire and one of he stickiest street tires I've used plus the tread wear is like a 240 so they should be good for around 15k miles depending on how often you rotate them and how often you autocross them. The Advan are twice the price and suck in the wet, the Direzza is a great tire, but tread wear will limit you to around 10k miles or so. Also you need to factor in weather. Do you see cold temps? This will greatly affect both the Advan and Direzza. I ran the Federals on 2 different cars through 3 New York winters, snow storms and all. Just my .02 Good luck with whatever you choose.

OEM - Replaced them w/ 14K with about half tread.

Dunlops Star specs (215/40/17) - 12k with ~50 autox runs, 3 hours of track driving at Mid Ohio, and 1000 miles in TN at the Dragon and surrounding roads at mexican speeds. I heat cycled them out just as I corded the insides, whoooooooops!

Bridgestone RE71s (205/45/17) - Currently 2,800 miles with 30 autox runs and some backroad driving. i MIGHT be able to squeeze out 3.5k miles, these things stick but wear like an R comp. And that is with a GT2554 so the low end doesn't wastefully spin the tires at the low end.

On a 60 sec autocross course, the Bridgestones seem to be about a second-and-a-half quicker than the Dunlops. With that being said, I'll be going back to the dunlops just because of the tire life.

Stick with the 215/40/17. 205/45/17 is too big of a side wall and you lose contact patch. Also you're comparing a UHP tire to a Max performance/autocross tires. Totally different performance and wear categories. Take it from me, the Michelin ride like crap. If you're only going to do the occasional autocross, I would go with something like Falken Azenis RT615k which is a super sticky max performance summer tire or my personal favorites Federal 595 Evo. Super cheap, under $100 per tire and one of he stickiest street tires I've used plus the tread wear is like a 240 so they should be good for around 15k miles depending on how often you rotate them and how often you autocross them. The Advan are twice the price and suck in the wet, the Direzza is a great tire, but tread wear will limit you to around 10k miles or so. Also you need to factor in weather. Do you see cold temps? This will greatly affect both the Advan and Direzza. I ran the Federals on 2 different cars through 3 New York winters, snow storms and all. Just my .02 Good luck with whatever you choose.

I'm going to look into that Federal 595 Evo...looks like a decent tire.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I'm going to look into that Federal 595 Evo...looks like a decent tire.
I've had 3 sets on my heavily modded 05 Subaru Legacy GT, and 2 NB miatas. Great tires. A little stiff in the sidewall, which I like because it gives you immediate turn in and response. They tend to run a little wide just so you know, but bang for the buck is unmatched.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've had 3 sets on my heavily modded 05 Subaru Legacy GT, and 2 NB miatas. Great tires. A little stiff in the sidewall, which I like because it gives you immediate turn in and response. They tend to run a little wide just so you know, but bang for the buck is unmatched.
They make a 215/40-17?

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
Thanks [MENTION=3110]BronxBomber[/MENTION] I had the Michelins on my stock wheels before and I thought they rode great. Just too much rub once I lowered the car because they were 215/45/17 but they're better than my s. Drives right now. I'll look into some other tires like the federals. I'm sure I'll still have no traction in 2nd gear but I want more grip than the s. Drives are giving me.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Dunlops Star specs (215/40/17) - 12k with ~50 autox runs, 3 hours of track driving at Mid Ohio, and 1000 miles in TN at the Dragon and surrounding roads at mexican speeds. I heat cycled them out just as I corded the insides, whoooooooops!

Bridgestone RE71s (205/45/17) - Currently 2,800 miles with 30 autox runs and some backroad driving. i MIGHT be able to squeeze out 3.5k miles, these things stick but wear like an R comp. And that is with a GT2554 so the low end doesn't wastefully spin the tires at the low end.

On a 60 sec autocross course, the Bridgestones seem to be about a second-and-a-half quicker than the Dunlops. With that being said, I'll be going back to the dunlops just because of the tire life.
That is REALLY impressive mileage/use out of the Star Specs! [thumb]
Just how bad are they in downpours/standing water??

From what I've heard, the RE-71s are really more like a 100 tread wear (or 80 or 50!) tire, that B-stone just marked as a 200 to dominate in autocross. [wink]

OP
D
Thread Starter #9

Thanks [MENTION=1994]localbacon[/MENTION] the Yokohama advans might be too expensive and not really worth it. I guess I'll stick with 215/40/17 because I need more tire to put down with all this torque I'm making lol.

OP
D
Thread Starter #12
The Federals in 215/40/17 can be had for around $340 delivered.
Hey [MENTION=3110]BronxBomber[/MENTION] do you have a link to those tires for that price? I don't think I've ever seen them for that cheap. Thanks in advance!

I absolutely love my Dunlop star specs. I have about 4K on them and they look like they haven't lost very much tread. I drive on twistys twice a day to work and they stick like glue. Also are not too bad with sound. I will be buying them again when they wear out. I like them better then the falkens I had.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I absolutely love my Dunlop star specs. I have about 4K on them and they look like they haven't lost very much tread. I drive on twistys twice a day to work and they stick like glue. Also are not too bad with sound. I will be buying them again when they wear out. I like them better then the falkens I had.
What size, and just how bad through 'ponding' water on roads??

215 40 17 and they are not too bad. I drive the car everyday and I have never been worried about water.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Hey [MENTION=3110]BronxBomber[/MENTION] do you have a link to those tires for that price? I don't think I've ever seen them for that cheap. Thanks in advance!
uku can get them at onlinetires.com

That is REALLY impressive mileage/use out of the Star Specs! [thumb]
Just how bad are they in downpours/standing water??

From what I've heard, the RE-71s are really more like a 100 tread wear (or 80 or 50!) tire, that B-stone just marked as a 200 to dominate in autocross. [wink]
The Dunlops were crap in the wet after 10K. Like "dont drive above 30mph" crap. My wife and I have always had a 3rd car so it wasnt a big deal for us. I should have replaced them at 10K but wanted to stretch them out to the winter time so i could go straight to my 15" snow setup.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Is anyone running the federal 595 Rs-r on the streets?
Frankiefiesta uses them. I didn't recommend them to you because you said you may do 1 or 2 autocross sessions and your car mostly sees street use. The RS R is a great tire, but it's not too great on the rain and won't last as long. Super sticky though. If you did more track time, I would've recommended these over the Evos. But if your gong to see more street use than track, the Evo is a better tire for u.