Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cobb stage 2, knock, and me

grnmachine02

So yesterday I flashed to the Cobb 93 octane stage 2. It's a v400 map if that matters. Prior to this, I was on the MAP flash tune. I just recently installed a MTC intercooler, so i figured I'd give stage 2 a shot.

When I was on the MAP tune it seemed punchier. I assumed that's because MAP gives more down low, whereas the Cobb stage 2 spreads it out more across the RPM range. My main concern is how much knock and timing correction I'm seeing. On the MAP tune I saw zero knock in any cylinder, with 3* of timing being added, and no timing being taken out. On the Cobb map, my first WOT pull I had 3 knock counts, 6* of timing added, and .88* of timing pulled.

Is this due to perhaps the MAP tune "dumbing down" the knock sensors? or is this something I should be worried about? How much knock and negative timing correction is too much?

I know all cars knock, and I know the ECM will add as much timing as possible and then retard when knock occurs. I'm just a bit concerned after having no knock, and now some knock. Also makes me wonder how much knock was occurring on the MAP tune, but never registered on the AP.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #3
Thanks! I kinda skimmed through that last night. It's a very informative read.

I won't worry much about the knock counts, until I start to see some serious timing correction I suppose.