Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OEM+ Projector Retrofit by Lightwerkz.

OP
R
Thread Starter #21
Update: Driver side headlight is going back to Lightwerkz for repairs. I still couldn't end up getting that one connection solid from the reflector to the rest of the headlight however other problems came up as well. The reflector housing for the turn signal in the front was also loose and is not accessible without the headlight apart, and (more importantly) the vertical aiming mechanism inside the headlight is broken. The headlight was shipped out today via ground so it'll take another week or so to arrive at Lightwerkz. I'll post an update here when I have one :).

-Matt

That sucks man sorry to hear about it. Yeah those ball and socket joints are nearly impossible to snap back into place without the light apart.

Did you actually see that the vertical adjustment tab is broken? With the one joint not being connected leads me to believe it wasn't reassembled correctly. The adjustment tab slides onto the knuckle rather than being pushed and it would be easy to miss it the first time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
R
Thread Starter #23
That sucks man sorry to hear about it. Yeah those ball and socket joints are nearly impossible to snap back into place without the light apart.

Did you actually see that the vertical adjustment tab is broken? With the one joint not being connected leads me to believe it wasn't reassembled correctly. The adjustment tab slides onto the knuckle rather than being pushed and it would be easy to miss it the first time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Yea, it was pretty much impossible to get enough grip and force to get those connections back together with the light assembled.

Yes, I did see the adjustment tab itself broken. For the adjustment tab, it fits like a knuckle inside of the C shaped plastic. Half of that C shape was broken off, so there was nothing to actually slide it back into. I compared it to the passenger side light as well which is not broken and could immediately tell the difference.

It does suck, but eh what can you do other than just get it fixed and hope for the best again. I'm hoping in the long run this will all be worth it :).

On a side note, I did receive my yellow LaminX overlays for the fog lights. Planning on installing those this coming week.

-Matt

LILIKE16ST

Very nice mod all the way around may do this in the future or just order some euro spec headlights which may cost a little more but as long as I don't have trouble ordering them and having them shipped I don't really for see any other problems that could arise with a brand new set of euro spec hid projector lights. I really do wish there would have been an hid option from the factory that would have def been my only other option outside of nav and the black wheels and red calipers. Keep us updated these retrofits look very nice...

I guess I'll ask it then...how much for the retrofit? Everything Included?
I spoke with them via e-mail. Labor a lone is about $1000 because of the ridiculous sealant Ford uses on the headlights. The rest of it kind of depends on what you want inside the light. "Demon eyes", halos, custom paint start pushing up the prices from there.

From what I have found, Lightwerkz is the only place who will touch Fiesta lights because of the dang sealant. I asked a few other companies, and they pointed me back to Lightwerkz.

OP
R
Thread Starter #28
Very nice mod all the way around may do this in the future or just order some euro spec headlights which may cost a little more but as long as I don't have trouble ordering them and having them shipped I don't really for see any other problems that could arise with a brand new set of euro spec hid projector lights. I really do wish there would have been an hid option from the factory that would have def been my only other option outside of nav and the black wheels and red calipers. Keep us updated these retrofits look very nice...
Thanks. From what I've seen, the Euro headlights are actually quite nice. I personally think the light bar looks good across the bottom, and the beam pattern seems pretty great for halogens. So long as you can get them across the pond without being damaged, they seem like a great option. I agree that I wish we did have an option available from the start for factory HIDs.

I guess I'll ask it then...how much for the retrofit? Everything Included?
See below in this response, I'll elaborate.

I spoke with them via e-mail. Labor a lone is about $1000 because of the ridiculous sealant Ford uses on the headlights. The rest of it kind of depends on what you want inside the light. "Demon eyes", halos, custom paint start pushing up the prices from there.

From what I have found, Lightwerkz is the only place who will touch Fiesta lights because of the dang sealant. I asked a few other companies, and they pointed me back to Lightwerkz.
I found the same. Most of the companies didn't want to really work on the Fiesta lights due to how tough they were to get apart using traditional methods. I believe a few were willing to do the project, but they were going to cut the plastic on the back of the headlight instead of trying to open the sealant. On the pricing, this is correct. Add onto the fact that I purchased an extra set of OEM headlights directly from Ford because I'm not local to Lightwerkz ($300-500 or do depending on where you buy them), as well as all of the equipment (Morimoto projectors/HID kit/etc, around $300). As you can see, this has not been a cheap endeavor. But then again, I wasn't going into this project expecting it to be cheap hehe.

Update on the light that was sent back: They're sourcing a headlight locally to take the aiming mechanism out of since the one in my light was broken. Going to be a few more days for that to arrive before they can move on to reassembly and everything. Hopefully when this is all said and done I will have better luck on the shipping like I did with the passenger side light lol.

-Matt

Everyone says they are impossible to crack open. It's bull, I got my set open first try with a card board box oven made hot with a heat gun. They pop right open almost as easy as butyl. Getting ride of the permaseal sucks but getting them open is a breeze.

OP
R
Thread Starter #30
Update: Repairs have been made to the headlight and it shipped out today. Should hopefully have it by Saturday. Fingers crossed for a safe journey this time around!

-Matt

OP
R
Thread Starter #31
Update: headlight arrived on time earlier this morning. The good news: it was very well packed, the internal aiming mechanism is intact, and the turn signal reflector is not broke/loose. The not so good news: the reflector housing for the low/high beam is once again not connected. I have no idea how it's possible that both of the ball/joint connections came loose again, especially considering that nothing is broken or out of place. However, I did speak with Lightwerkz and they offered an idea to get this straightened out. Unfortunately I can't work on the headlight until Monday due to work, but I'm cautiously optimistic that things will be sorted soon enough and I can move on to installation/aiming :).

-Matt

OP
R
Thread Starter #32
So made an attempt at getting the ball/socket connections fixed today. I was able to get one of the two connected. Used a hair dryer to heat up the plastic so it would have a bit more give for the metal ball to slide in. The bad news I've run into now is, I think the problem with the second ball/socket isn't because I can't get enough force to snap it in place, I believe the reflector is either deformed from the heating processes, or is running into something on the inside of the housing and simply cannot be forced into the position where the connection can be made because something is in the way. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the aiming mechanism is the problem and that the screw that holds the mechanism against the reflector needs to be loosened and would allow for the correct positioning. I did notice that after one of the connections is in, the reflector doesn't really move around in the housing much and I believe it could actually work, but the weird placement of the reflector leads to another problem: I'm 100% certain that the beam pattern is going to be messed up because the reflectors in each headlight are sitting in a different position inside their respective housings. I won't know how bad it is until I install them and fire them up, but I have a feeling that it'll be significant.

To top everything else off, I reattached the rear tab that broke off the housing, but it feels/looks flimsy at best and I have no doubt that it'll break again (likely when installing, but if not, then the first good bump I go over).

Overall I feel like this project has turned into a burden :|. So many small problems that add up into larger ones. I'll report back when I have more updates.

-Matt

I'm sorry to read that.

Do you think the issue is a defective manufacturing of the housing itself? Or did the process of adding the HIDs unintentionally damage it?

That is horrible news - I was hoping you'd be up and running by now! I hope things get squared away for you after so much time spent.

The one potential future upside is that if you do get them back and in working order soon, it takes a freakishly small amount of time to swap these headlights out. Like 5 minutes per side.

OP
R
Thread Starter #35
I'm sorry to read that.

Do you think the issue is a defective manufacturing of the housing itself? Or did the process of adding the HIDs unintentionally damage it?
Honestly not sure if it is a problem with the housing just yet. I haven't had enough time to really sit down and try to figure out what is causing the reflector not to be able to move into the position it needs to be to engage with the connection.

That is horrible news - I was hoping you'd be up and running by now! I hope things get squared away for you after so much time spent.

The one potential future upside is that if you do get them back and in working order soon, it takes a freakishly small amount of time to swap these headlights out. Like 5 minutes per side.
Indeed. I will say however that some of the time problem has to do with the fact that I'm so busy right now with work that I don't have much free time to do anything with the lights. Hopefully when my schedule stabilizes a bit, I'll be able to spend more time tackling this. Yea, that's true about the swap time. I've definitely gotten the installation and removal process down hehe.

-Matt

OP
R
Thread Starter #38
I'm going to try and make a video tomorrow with my phone to give some more clarity on the problem itself and see if anyone (here or over at Lightwerkz) has any ideas.

-Matt

OP
R
Thread Starter #40
Did you ever get these installed?
I ended up ordering a set of Euro headlights and just installed those today. These headlights are actually still sitting in my bedroom in the boxes they shipped in. I've tried on multiple occasions since my last posts to get that one reflector housing to snap into place, but have never been able to. I'm most likely going to be trying to sell these locally for relatively cheap once I move from central CA back to the Los Angeles area in a month or so.

-Matt