Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OEM+ Projector Retrofit by Lightwerkz.

Hey everyone. Figured I might as well start up a thread now that things are coming together. I originally intented to order the UK lights like a lot of others here, however I sent two different quote requests to Ford Parts UK and never heard back, so I decided to venture out and look at other options. I knew a retrofit was the answer, and I also knew that I honestly didn't have the knowledge, tools and/or experience to do one myself. Searched around quite a bit and I decided to go with Lightwerkz out of NJ. They deal specifically with vehicle lighting, have lots of experience, and do a lot of custom work. Their website is http://www.lightwerkz.net if you want to check them out (And no, they didn't ask me to advertise for them or anything [:)]).

I ended up having Lightwerkz order a set of OEM 2015 headlights and had them shipped directly to them. This way I wouldn't have any issues with downtime, especially since my FiST is my daily driver. I'm gonna post links directly from Lightwerkz' Instragram and YouTube pages so you can see some of the images and videos of how things progressed.

Info about the build itself:
-Extra set of OEM 2015 Fiesta Headlights directly from Ford.
-Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 projectors.
-Morimoto XB35 ballasts.
-Morimoto XB Igniters.
-Morimoto XB 4500k bulbs.
-Custom wiring harness.

I decided not to do anything with the turn signal, high beam or side marker. I also elected not to have anything painted. I'm going for an 'OEM+' kind of look here. I want people who aren't familiar with the FiST platform to not even notice the mod, while those knowledgeable about FiST's to recognize it.

And now for some pics/videos! (Edit: Sorry, I'm stupid and can't figure out how to post images and videos directly to the post, so you gotta click links to see them hehe).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJNzPkYgVQr/?taken-by=lightwerkz
Image of the light barely fitting inside the oven that they use lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJS9U_JgMZ4/?taken-by=lightwerkz
Using tools to get the clear lens and the back portion of the headlight apart.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJTEyoCAluJ/?taken-by=lightwerkz
Some more progress of them opening up the headlight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJiNJMNAH85/?taken-by=lightwerkz
Projector and shroud seated in the low beam position of the lights.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJkb_YigN3W/?taken-by=lightwerkz
Video of the lights apart, some info on how opening up the permaseal was for them, and another shot of the projector and should seated.

[video]https://youtu.be/Pkd7ZEPO3p8[/video]
Finished product! Front of the headlight.

[video]https://youtu.be/GajQvPLdqjA[/video]
Finished product! Back of the headlight.

The lights were finished up today (9/1) and shipped out. I should have them in a week. I'll be posting more images/videos including comparison shots of the stock vs retrofit setup, beam pattern, etc. On a separate note, I also ordered (and already received from The Retrofit Source) a set of the Morimoto XB LED fog lights that I will be installing along with the retrofits. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this all turns out!

So far I've been very pleased with Lightwerkz. They've kept in touch every step of the way and answered all of the questions I've asked. Their work looks great from what I've seen, and they have done a ton of retrofits over the years. Obviously I cannot comment on it completely until I have the lights in hand, have them installed and see how they stand up to use (condensation, bulbs/ballasts going out, etc.) but I am confident so far in the product and experience they have provided. I will continue to update this as it progresses. Feel free to ask any questions if you have them! [cool]

-Matt

They look awesome. I've heard a lot about Lightwerkz in the retrofit community. Retrofit is always the way to go. Enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

OP
R
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, I love the custom etch on your lenses btw haha. Yea, I searched a lot over on HIDPlanet and a few other forums looking at reviews before I made my choice. Glad I went with them so far.

-Matt

Subscribed!
That looks perfect. IMO a projector is the only thing the headlight needs for added output.

Really really nice. I love that OEM+ look. I would love to do the same thing. If you don't mind sending me a PM, I'd love to know your total cost on that including the purchase of the additional OEM headlights. Thanks!

OP
R
Thread Starter #6
Subscribed!
That looks perfect. IMO a projector is the only thing the headlight needs for added output.
Thanks. Agreed, they definitely should have had a projector/HID option from the factory but meh, gotta do what we gotta do hehe.

Really really nice. I love that OEM+ look. I would love to do the same thing. If you don't mind sending me a PM, I'd love to know your total cost on that including the purchase of the additional OEM headlights. Thanks!
Thanks. Will do!

-Matt

OP
R
Thread Starter #9
So I decided that instead of waiting for the retrofits to get here to install the Morimoto XB foglights, I would just go ahead and do them now so I would have less to install when the headlights do arrive. It was pretty easy overall, but definitely a bit cramped. Instead of going in from the wheel well, I removed the headlights and went in from the top. Everything went into place without a hitch. They fired right up the first time. Here's a sample comparison pic between halogens (PIAA Plasma Ion H11's) and the LEDs. Ignore the differences in the low beam colors, these images were taken on different days and I was playing around with some whiter H11 lows in the first picture. The second picture has the stock Osram low beam bulbs in.

Halogens.

LEDs.

Things to note: These foglights are adjustable, and I have not made sure they are aimed properly yet. I did adjust one so that they were even, but I still have to wait until it's dark out so I can make better adjustments. I mostly just wanted to show the brightness as well as the cutoffs. Another thing to note, since they are LEDs, the difference in kelvin between the fogs and the retrofits will be a bit off. These are somewhere between 5000k to 5500k I would say, where as my retros are going to be using 4500k bulbs. I'll see in time if the difference in color temperature bothers me, though I doubt it will.

Edit: Few more pics now that it's dark out. I can't tell if they're aimed too high or not. I believe they might be but it's kind of hard to tell. They don't seem to shine over the low beams at all, but I can't tell if they are cutting off at the bottom of the low beams or if they're blending into the low beam. And on top of all that... am I crazy, or am I seeing some glare from the low beams above what would be the low beam cut off line?

-Matt

I bought my retro gear from Lightwerkz, just a side note but their customer service is outstanding if you ever run into any issues.

Also just a thought, but since the fog lights won't match your HID color, why not do yellow lamin-x overlays? Won't have an issue of burning them up since LEDs run much cooler than halogens do.

OP
R
Thread Starter #11
I bought my retro gear from Lightwerkz, just a side note but their customer service is outstanding if you ever run into any issues.

Also just a thought, but since the fog lights won't match your HID color, why not do yellow lamin-x overlays? Won't have an issue of burning them up since LEDs run much cooler than halogens do.
I've been considering the LaminX overlay. I want to see how the retros and the fogs look together before I make a decision, but that's definitely an option I have in mind.

-Matt

Thanks. Agreed, they definitely should have had a projector/HID option from the factory but meh, gotta do what we gotta do hehe.

Thanks. Will do!

-Matt
Could you send me a PM with pricing info as well? I'm also intrigued by this. Thanks!

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I forgot about LIghtwerkz. They were really popular on the Legacygt forum I used to be on.

OP
R
Thread Starter #16
I went ahead and ordered two sets of LaminX yellow overlays for the fogs. I ordered two just in case I mess up the installation or something happens to the first set with everyday use. I'll update the previous post of pictures when they come in and are installed.

-Matt

I went ahead and ordered two sets of LaminX yellow overlays for the fogs. I ordered two just in case I mess up the installation or something happens to the first set with everyday use. I'll update the previous post of pictures when they come in and are installed.

-Matt
If you don't mess up the install, wanna sell the other set? I put in an order at TRS, including fog lights, and of course they were OOS on the LaminX covers, so I'll need to source some for myself in a week or so.

OP
R
Thread Starter #18
If you don't mess up the install, wanna sell the other set? I put in an order at TRS, including fog lights, and of course they were OOS on the LaminX covers, so I'll need to source some for myself in a week or so.
I just ordered mine directly from LaminX. Not sure how long it'll take for delivery, but we'll see how it turns out! :)

-Matt

OP
R
Thread Starter #19
Hey everyone,

just thought I'd post an update. Received the headlights in the mail today. They were very well packed and didn't show any obvious signs of breakage during shipping. What I did discover however is that the reflect on the driver side light is not fully engaged into the two little mounting parts inside the housing. So far I've only been able to get one of them engaged, but the other is still eluding me. I simply cannot find a way to get enough force onto the reflector to get it onto the mounting piece, so that's what I will be continue to work on for the next few days. I'm going to speak to Cesar over at Lightwerkz tomorrow to see if he can walk me through it. Aside from that though, the wiring and everything looks great.

-Matt

Image of the problem I'm dealing with. That 'bulb' end needs to sleep into the attachment site on the back of the reflector housing, but it's one of those like slip fit connections where the bulb end is slightly too big on purpose and needs to be forced into the connection. Cannot get grip no matter how I hold the light to press the reflector housing down hard enough.
Edit:

OP
R
Thread Starter #20
So I got one of the two connection points for the reflector inside the housing connected. The one pictured above is still giving me trouble. I've noticed a few other things that may or may not spell trouble, but I'm going to hold off on that until I speak with Lightwerkz in the morning.

On a lighter (haha I'm so punny) note, the passenger side headlight is flawless. Nothing is broken, loose, missing, etc. Here's a few closer up pics of the housing:

-Matt