Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What I've Learned In Two Years

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'll be brief, but here's the background on my experience in the last two and a half years with my car:

I purchased my car in May 2014, knowing full and well that I wanted it to be ridiculous. In June 2014, with approximately 500 miles I began my modding with a 2JR Catted downpipe and an AP. Shortly after that, a Mountune drop-in filter and a Mountune silicone hose. Around September 2014, OZ Ultraleggeras were on the car, and I was working with Panda Motorworks on a FMIC. Around this same time, I was working with Randy at Mountune for custom tuning. This is where things get crazy... Panda wanted to start tuning Fiestas, so I obliged after some apprehension. I was na?ve...

For brevity sake, lets just compile all my various set ups, and my approximate thoughts at the time:

? 2JR catted downpipe, Panda FMIC, Mountune Silicone and drop-in, modded air box, Panda and Mountune tune.

- My "stage 3" came in cobbled together. I wasn't proud of this... 2JRs downpipe was actually pretty nice, at the time. Pandas FMIC was not the greatest, as I saw nearly the same CATs. The modded airbox thing was ok. Randy's tune was essentially the same thing as a Cobb Stage 3, with a little more throttle tuning to give it some punch. So, it never really got any faster, but it sure felt like it. Tire shredding was fun, though.

Here is some data on this set up. I'll denote when a part was a part of the datalog or not and dates. This is without the Panda intercooler. My first log saved on my laptop do some serious tuning. Up until this point, I'd been running Cobb Stage 1 and 2. At 3200 miles, what you'll see here is the Cobb Stage 2 tune on 20 July 2014.

Cobb Stage 2 datalog
Cobb Stage 2 Datalog - 20 July 2014.jpg

Next up, is the Mountune base file. Also done on 20 July 2014.

Mountune Base datalog
First Datalog - July 20 2014.jpg

The following data is from just before the intercooler was installed. This is the last revision BEFORE the intercooler.

Moutune pre-intercooler
Moutune Pre-Cooler - 30 July 2014.jpg

Finally, a base file from Panda Motorworks, completed on 20 July 2014. A thing to note is that I actually ran the Cobb Stg 2 file to begin tuning with Panda as they had no base file. Yes, I was their first Fiesta ST and their FiST tuning strategy is/was based on my car.

Panda Base
Panda Base File - 20 July 2014.jpg

Panda, pre-intercooler.
Panda Pre-Intercooler
Panda Pre-Cooler 28 July 2014.jpg

Now, some time went by before I got the intercooler. The intercooler was installed on 5 Aug 2014. I'll skip ahead a little further and present the final datalogs with the intercooler. This should complete this section.

Mountune post-intercooler and FINAL revision. Randy pretty much left me cold once he felt he was done... Not even a good bye.
Mountune Post-Intercooler, and Final
Mountune Post-Cooler 21 Aug 2014.jpg

Panda post-intercooler
Panda Post-Cooler
Panda Post-Cooler 21 Aug 2014.jpg

? 2JR decat, Panda FMIC, Mountune/modded OEM box, Panda and Mountune tune.

- I was wrapping up tuning with Randy mostly, while starting up with Panda (yes, both at the same time, I'd never do that again). Randy had suggested that the catted downpipe was holding the car back, so I picked up the non cat 2JR. It sure sounded a lot better, but there was nothing ground-breaking. With 199whp on a real dyno in 80? weather, I still wasn't quite content with the power.

Panda last revision on this set up, just before the Cyborg. 7 Oct 2014.
Panda pre-Cyborg
Panda Pre-Cyborg 7 Oct 2014.jpg

? 2JR decat, Cobb FMIC, Cobb intake, Cobb CBE, Panda tune.

- Id sold the Panda FMIC as it just couldn't keep up. Essentially, it was a TR6 (treadstone) core with intake elbows welded on to it. At this time, Sourskittle was planning his Cyborg and I was anxiously waiting for more power. Infatuated with the Cyborg, I decided I needed a "real" intake and exhaust, so I bought more Cobb items. They did nothing for power, but sure did sound good. No real tuning happened again until 4 Nov 2014.

? 2JR decat, Cobb FMIC/intake/CBE, Cyborg V1, MBRP exhaust, Panda tune

- The biggest bang for the buck was the Cyborg upgrade. If you want "bang for the buck" the Cobb AP and a hybrid turbo alone will take you pretty far. Yet and still, it wasn't enough, so I moved on to an E30 tune. Things got real sideways around this time. Pandas tuner couldn't quite figure out the E30, or why the ignition was breaking up at the top. Here's the base tune log from 4 Nov 2014.

Panda Cyborg Base Tune
Panda Cyborg Base Tune 4 Nov 2014.jpg

Final tune with Panda before I got the DHM kit. First is where we left off before the break on 18 Jan 2015, (on 93 Oct) and the next will be just before the DHM kit went on. We started back up with tuning 19 March 2015.
Panda Cyborg pre-break
Panda Cyborg Pre-Break 18 Jan 2014.jpg

Panda Cyborg post-break, 93 Oct, MBRP exhaust
Panda Post-Break 8 April 2015.jpg

Next up, is the same hardware with E30. You may be puzzled by the numbers, but the thing is, we never finished the E30 tune in all that time. E30 went in around some time in April. Also, one more thing to note, over the winter break, I'd replaced the Cyborg V1 with the V2. It was an unfortunate circumstance that had nothing to do with SS.

Panda Cyborg V2 post-break, pre-DHM, E30
Panda Cyborg V2 Pre-DHM E30 19 May 2015.jpg

Here is the absolute best the Cyborg did on 93 Oct. This was 17 Dec 2014.
Panda Cyborg V1 Best
Panda Cyborg V1 Best 17 Dec 2014.jpg

? DHM 2867r kit, DHM race intercooler, MBRP CBE, Panda tune

- For me, I felt the most confident about this route. I was proud of having these parts on my car because of the quality, and power it produced. Personally, the lag didn't bother me. I enjoyed the delayed power because I wasn't just burning off my tires without going anywhere. Panda was on the ECU still, and times were getting turbulent... Weeks would go by without a tune and it was unacceptable. This is as far as I got with Panda; a base tune and one revision,14 Aug 2015. I cannot disclose all reasons.

Panda GTX Base
GTX Base.jpg

Panda GTX revision
Panda GTX Rev 14 Aug 2015.jpg

? DHM BT, FMIC, MBRP, DHM tune

- I'd switched to DHM for tuning. There was no in between. I'd decided I wouldn't trust Panda to tune the car, and that the best (and only) for the kit was the man himself. I'd been doing Panda a favor I exchange for free tuning, but they couldn't produce for reasons I won't divulge. Here's the base tune on 21 Aug 2015 from DHM and the final tune on 93 (4 Nov 2015) before moving to Aux Fuel. I know that sounds like a long time, but there were a LOT of tunes and logs going out and coming in during that time.

DHM GTX Base Tune
DHM Base Tune 21 Aug 2015.jpg

DHM GTX Final 93
DHM Final 93 4 Nov 2015.jpg

After the 93 tune was "done" we moved on to Stratifieds Aux Fuel. It was tuned on both 93 and E30... I'll share the 93, but not the E30. There were tons of changes made, so there was never a simple end to it and it would be unfair to everyone. Sorry to those who are disappointed... Because, ultimately, the real end was popping the engine while 1/2 mile racing. It could never be "finaled" And I don't regret a moment of it [raceflag] Anyway, here's the base aux on 93 and final aux (8 Nov 2014) on 93 oct (10 Nov 2015).

DHM GTX Aux Base 93
93 Base Aux 8 Nov 2015.jpg

DHM GTX Aux Base Final 93
93 Aux.jpg

Well, welcome to the present. As most of you know my engine is now built. It just needs to hit the dyno for some tuning action. I made this thread in opposition of some other threads that pop up about once a month. I believe that I've been through some of the MOST changes in this community. I've seen everything from "Stage 0" to now a built engine. I've spent more than I care to count...

So here's the takeaway, the biggest thing I've learned in my journey:

Buy quality parts, make the car into what you want and don't major in the minors (intakes, BOVs, downpipes, cheap tunes).

If you've read this far, thank you. I was trying to be brief, and this was about as brief as it could get. Once I have a little more time, I'll edit in vDynos and datalogs that correlate with the setups.

Based

Does DHM do lifetime revisions? $250 for one tune is steep... Do you think the different tuners (tune+, DHM, strat) make a difference? I can't find any dyno graphs from all of them.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Great post Hijinx and I really mean that. I appreciate your honesty and I appreciate your journey with this car. I have swapped so many parts in and out of a bunch of cars over the years but nothing like this. It would be awesome to see your dynos and/or Vdynos or whatever you have for each stage or even just the HP/TQ numbers listed next to each mod batch for comparisons sake though I realize that in some cases the tune will have more to do with that than the actual hardware.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Does DHM do lifetime revisions? $250 for one tune is steep... Do you think the different tuners (tune+, DHM, strat) make a difference? I can't find any dyno graphs from all of them.
250 for a tune is not steep.. Welcome to modifying a car where a dyno tune is 600+

Based

250 for a tune is not steep.. Welcome to modifying a car where a dyno tune is 600+
It's steep when tune+ will do it for $300 for lifetime revisions... And when there's no hard data to prove that either of the 3 on this forum are better than the other.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #6
Like I've said before, it's all gonna depend on your goals and budget. Each will do something a little differently, but it's all a means to end. What kind of end you want will determine who you go with. Remember that this is your engine on the line; it's not just about power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TempeST

Great post Hijinx, Like you I have been through ALOT of mods and tunes/tuners on this forum and car. Have not yet gotten to the built motor yet, but looking to find a way around the lacking HPFP without aux fuel needed. we shall see.

Your advice is golden. I would have to say the same to everyone. buy quality parts, they will last longer, perform better in most situations and worse comes to worse, you can resell them for higher prices in the end as well. I wish I would have just gone this way to begin with. I would have saved at least $1500 if i had done so. Look forward to what comes of this thread.
[MENTION=5632]Based[/MENTION], Honestly, with the stock turbo, if one makes more power or torque than the other it will be so little that you would not even notice. I have had three tuners on my stock turbo and it was a difference in total of 5whp-10wtq between all of them. if you are done modding your car why do you need "lifetime"? if you plan to continually mod your car, its probably smart, but I can tell you one thing, Most tuners, Good tuners anyway, even though it says "only 10 revisions" if your car is not safe they will not leave you hanging. I know when I paid for a 10 revision tune from a vendor, I got 15, and this was even after He was satisfied and I, not him, I changed things. He then helped me out and got me squared away again, at no cost. Both of these tuners are the ones I would choose from.

If you are worrying about what it costs to tune your car then you have your mind in the wrong area. You need to think, "who is going to do the best things for my car?"

Based

Hmm that is something I will think about. I don't plan on putting an intake or exhaust/DP because they don't make that much power so I guess maybe just a one time tune will work.

TempeST

Hmm that is something I will think about. I don't plan on putting an intake or exhaust/DP because they don't make that much power so I guess maybe just a one time tune will work.
I mean, nothing harsh meant by my comment. not at all. but I mean If you do choose Tune+ I would go with the lifetime tune, it would be silly not to. but with the others, they usually help you out a lot more than what is limited. read about their tunes, and call them up and ask them about it. See which one gives you the most confidence in letting someone else tune your car. I mean what hijinx said is spot on.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #10
I forgot to mention something when I said that I've spent a lot of money. I don't want that statement to be misconstrued. I don't regret one red cent of the money spent. I've learned so much, and gained so much experience... I genuinely enjoy helping people when they come to me with questions, and these experiences are what allow me to help others. I may seem standoffish or prick-ish, but that's hardly the case, regardless of what some people would have you believe. But, I too, have my own beliefs and will not bow unless contrary irrefutable evidence is offered.

Based

I mean, nothing harsh meant by my comment. not at all. but I mean If you do choose Tune+ I would go with the lifetime tune, it would be silly not to. but with the others, they usually help you out a lot more than what is limited. read about their tunes, and call them up and ask them about it. See which one gives you the most confidence in letting someone else tune your car. I mean what hijinx said is spot on.
Well I have just finished emailing DHM and Stratified just to see how they are. hopefully I will be able to make a confident decision soon although I don't expect them to get back to me since it is Labor Day weekend. Adam has already emailed me back several times over the past few days but I'm sure he's busy so I don't want to bother him anymore.

I don't understand how one guy could be so much better than the rest though, dealing with the same hardware. These cars have been out for a while and I think if one person knew a big secret we would all know who it was.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
It's steep when tune+ will do it for $300 for lifetime revisions... And when there's no hard data to prove that either of the 3 on this forum are better than the other.
No matter who you go with you'll end up with ~200-210 whp... You just don't seem to understand this platform. It's ok, because you're new. The stock turbo is a turd. It won't make much power. My advice. Save for intercooler and tune. Then save for a turbo upgrade if you want more power

Based

No matter who you go with you'll end up with ~200-210 whp... You just don't seem to understand this platform. It's ok, because you're new. The stock turbo is a turd. It won't make much power. My advice. Save for intercooler and tune. Then save for a turbo upgrade if you want more power
I know that's what I've been trying to say. I understand. And that's what I'm doing I'm buying an IC and trying to pick out a tuner lol

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #14
The stock turbo is a turd lol. I agree with this post. As an addendum, the big thing with stock tuning is driveability and reliability with the added power.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Well I have just finished emailing DHM and Stratified just to see how they are. hopefully I will be able to make a confident decision soon although I don't expect them to get back to me since it is Labor Day weekend. Adam has already emailed me back several times over the past few days but I'm sure he's busy so I don't want to bother him anymore.

I don't understand how one guy could be so much better than the rest though, dealing with the same hardware. These cars have been out for a while and I think if one person knew a big secret we would all know who it was.
I am a three time Stratified customer and have been very satisfied. They have explained questions any time I need help and always respond efficiently and professionally. They also won't oversell you if you are looking for something that won't give you any benefits.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
The stock turbo is a turd lol. I agree with this post. As an addendum, the big thing with stock tuning is driveability and reliability with the added power.

Yes this is what I should've mentioned!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thank you Hijinx for this thread. [thumb]

It DOES help A LOT!

Basically, at this point, I see myself having to decide between a Cyborg/hybrid, and a DHM kit as a distant future (power) modding path for this car.

I certainly do not need the power for drag racing, since I will never do that.
Nor do I need it for the street (cannot afford the; tickets, insurance increases, license revocations, and also that it is just plain WRONG to endanger other's lives).

Where it might come in handy, once I learn the car better with lots of seat time, is on a road course when trying to stay right with much more high zoot/snooty owner machinery out there on the straights (as Rick has pointed out as the reason for his high power additions). [wink]