Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Focus RS - Drift Mode Epic Fail

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Published on Sep 5, 2016

"PLEASE NOTE - NYST (The NY ST Club) does not condone or approve of this reckless behavior on public roadways. The offending person was immediately booted from our club. We practice safety on the road during our cruises, and actions such as this will be dealt with with ZERO TOLERANCE.

Take it to the track, if you want to drive like this.

Focus RS attempting a drift at the 44/55 Hairpin outside of New Paltz NY. This was during a cruise with the NY ST Club.
It didn't go well..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asLA5qMTJec

[video=youtube;asLA5qMTJec]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asLA5qMTJec[/video]

Aannndd this is why we can't have nice things...

[video=youtube;fOelONV_unQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOelONV_unQ[/video]

Let us not turn the ST/RS community into a meme. Ford already has enough of that to contend to with our Mustang brethren.

Recently I've seen alot of Youtube videos of RS owners failing miserably when engaging "Drift Mode". It's marketed as being easy to control and by understanding the engineering behind the feature it does seem on the side of foolproof. If only. At least they are learning car control.

Props to Ford for getting features like this, but still surprised Ford marketed this so much when it could possibly cause issues in the future. We technically have a similar feature, the ESC Off/Sport Mode, but I never saw any crazed marketing around this on the ST bros like the RS.

With great power comes great responsibility, lets see that the actions of hopefully few, don't result in neutered products from Ford in the future and put off other makers (like Hyundai) from this segment.

What are your thoughts on this?

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #4
Very sad to see this type of immature / irresponsible behavior on a public road...this moron could have killed someone beside himself...

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
[histerical]Stuff like this makes me laugh. The guy just bought his car. He obviously doesn't know how to drive it like he wants to. So let's try to drift around a hairpin. Lucky he's ok, but what a moron. Smh.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #7
Lol, did not see that post. Even searched for it. You're welcome to combine them or whatever.
Hey no worries...I'll just go ahead and merge the two threads into one discussion thread...

As dumb as it was for this guy to even do this with that car. Its very sad to see such a beautiful car go to the waste like that.

Bluedrank

Can this come back to haunt him with his insurance? The car's probably totaled, and it's entirely his fault due to extremely reckless driving.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As dumb as it was for this guy to even do this with that car. Its very sad to see such a beautiful car go to the waste like that.
Yes, and he did not deserve that car! [boxface]

As far as I'm concerned, Ford should never have put this 'technology' on this car [nono], as it just promotes publicly irresponsible (to put it MILDLY), asinine, "hold my beer and watch THIS" type behavior, and it does seem to be aggressively marketed towards the ricer-like/F&F crowd (even though most of them can ill afford an RS).
Much better that they would have put a lockable center diff in it, a much stronger rear diff, and a driver infinitely adjustable, variable torque split front/rear for the purpose of adjusting to different road/track conditions, NOT for this assclownery.

It has NO place on an AWD car, defeats the whole purpose of an AWD car, and IF you want to do this shit (yes, I think drifting, as cool as it looks, is stupid as an organized "sport" as it's no more of a 'competition' than a car show due to it being a JUDGED event) then get yourself a proper RWD car and do it correctly.

Man I couldn't agree with you more. The fact that he even tried to drift in that car just makes me sick. He could've bought a BMW for half the price and it would have done the job. But doing that in the focus rs was so stupid it's not even funny. I really don't even know what Ford was thinking when they included drift mode other than $ of course. Smh I don't understand why someone would even get a awd to drift anyway. The hell he think he is? Ken block?!? Lmao!! Because he sure couldn't drive like him!

Can this come back to haunt him with his insurance? The car's probably totaled, and it's entirely his fault due to extremely reckless driving.
You think this would even be covered? There are videos from multiple angles of him driving like an asshat. I think insurance would probably just tell him to fuck off.

Bluedrank

You think this would even be covered? There are videos from multiple angles of him driving like an asshat. I think insurance would probably just tell him to fuck off.
Well that's what I was thinking as well. Can the insurance do that though? I mean he was at fault obviously, but lots of people do stupid stuff and wreck their car in other ways and the insurance pays. He was on a public road, not a race track, so it might be tough for them to argue that he was racing. I don't really know the answer, that's why I was asking.

One thing's for sure, if his insurance does decide not to cover him due to the video, his car club releasing the video really fucked him.

Based

All he did was make a mistake I don't think he deserves all this hate... Even pro drivers can fuck up on the track.... If he did it in heavy traffic and almost killed someone I would be hating on him too but really all this incident comes down to is a mistake. Some times when taking turns on back roads I lose a bit of grip and I correct it and save it but it reminds me it is possible for a bit of fun to end up terribly. I'm sure at least one person here has had a little bit of fun when they shouldn't have been...

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #19
Ford Focus RS crash is another example of drifting gone wrong

AutoBlog / MotorTrend / Jalopnik - 9/6/2106

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/06/...rifting-gone-wrong/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-ford-focus-rs-driver-drift-mode-his-car-into-1786210325

http://www.motortrend.com/news/watc...=10154006086586312&adbpl=fb&adbpr=18332466311

"As we've said before, money does not equal talent. Today's reminder is yet another installment in the increasingly entertaining series of YouTube videos we've taken to calling #DriftModeFail.

This video starts out slow ? a group of hot hatchbacks tooling around a scenic road in upstate New York. But keep watching, and before long you'll see a Nitro Blue Ford Focus RS ? it's always a Nitro Blue ? make its presence known by a series of loud tire squeals and a fair attempt at a drift. Had the car's driver had another few feet of road, everything (probably) would have been fine. But the road ran out, the Focus RS dipped its passenger side tires off the road clipping the hill, and Sir Isaac Newton's Third Law of Motion handled the rest, catapulting the hot Ford's tail into the air and deploying the driver's front and side airbags.

We don't know if the driver was hurt. The person taking the video asks someone if they're okay, but the video cuts before we can hear an answer. Whoever was at the wheel was lucky the car didn't roll. Give the video a few watches, and you'll see it very nearly goes shiny side down following the initial impact. So, lessons? If you're buying a Focus RS, keep Drift Mode to the track or local skid pad, and sign up for the free driving school Ford bakes into its hottest hatchback's price.
"
- AutoBlog
"Some maneuvers are best left for the track

You may be able to drift in your new Ford Focus RS, but that doesn?t mean you always should. This is especially true when driving on windy, narrow roads overlooking a cliff.

In the video below, the driver of a 2016 Ford Focus RS appears to get a little too comfortable with Drift Mode. Moving very quickly, the Focus RS slides up the hill before smashing into the side of a cliff. The crash was enough to send the car flying straight up in the air before settling back down on the road.

Drift Mode is intended to send as much power as possible to the rear while telling the stability control system to help hold the slide. The automaker is now offering free classes at its Ford Performance Racing School in Utah to help all Focus RS buyers master drifting and other skills in their new cars. But even with all the free classes in the world, these types of accidents are bound to happen at some point.

Case in point: A recent video showed a Focus RS driver in Germany oversteering when exiting a Cars and Coffee event, almost T-boning a Mercedes and hitting a few spectators in the process. Meanwhile, Drift Mode has been criticized by Australian safety experts, who are calling on the automaker to disable Drift Mode and recall vehicles with this feature.

We say there?s a time and place for everything, and it makes sense that Drift Mode should be left to the track." - MotorTrend
ford-focus-rs-driftmodefail.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
All he did was make a mistake I don't think he deserves all this hate... Even pro drivers can fuck up on the track.... If he did it in heavy traffic and almost killed someone I would be hating on him too but really all this incident comes down to is a mistake. Some times when taking turns on back roads I lose a bit of grip and I correct it and save it but it reminds me it is possible for a bit of fun to end up terribly. I'm sure at least one person here has had a little bit of fun when they shouldn't have been...
It was still an OPEN PUBLIC road, in the middle of the day, and he was carrying A LOT of speed into that turn, a recipe for disaster! [thumbdown]