Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Modified Fiesta ST Update Review after 2 years and 24,000 miles

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, I know, as my f body's wheels were 16x8s and they use either a 245/50, or a 255/50 tire on them, and that is fine, as most even wheel to wheel road race them (in the CMC class of NASA) with the 255s mounted on those stock 8" wide wheels. [???:)]

(Next thing you know, the 'stretchies' on here will be telling us that we MUST put a narrow 205 section tire on a 9" wide wheel, even for street use! [nono] [crazyeye] At that point they are no better than the very same 'stancing' ricers they also ridicule. ;) )

Thanks for that input, as now I do not feel so bad about considering the TD 1.2s in a 16x7 wrapped in 215/45-16s! [thumb]

I have been using a 215 size tire on those same wheels since 2000, the only difference is the Focus used a 45 series aspect ratio and the Fiesta uses a 40. The SVT Focus came from the factory with 7" wheels and a 215 wide tire. My dad's 1985 Saleen uses a 7" wide wheel and P225 wide tires. Not sure where the data comes from saying a 215 wide tire needs a 8" wheel.
Yeah I don't get it either. I mean my S2000 came with 215/45/17 front tires mounted on 17x7 wheels from the factory...and steering response in that car is pretty outstanding.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
I call shenanigans on saying a 215 wide tire and 7" wheel is bad. There are countless sets of data showing otherwise.

Great review, the fiSt's are great out of the box. a few mods to make it your own and you are set. I'll never understand those stance kids.

Great looking FiST! looking forward to the next video

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
thanks Cbizz. I had all sorts of plans when I bought my ST for performance, but then I realized that a few key modifications were all that were needed. Even some of them not needed. It is an amazingly great car right from the factory.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, originally, until I came on here and was almost shamed into thinking that not having >300 to the wheels was lame, I was only planning on a short shift kit, a Quaife or Wavetrac diff, better seats, an aftermarket steering wheel (which I just found out cannot be done without a full steering system conversion to either manual, or hydraulic due to the electric steering system's steering wheel sensors??) and a better set of summer and winter wheels/tires, and THAT'S IT.

NO 'power mods' at all, and maybe eventually some (GOOD, not just to lower the car) coil overs, and a CBE for just a little more sound, as I was unaware of the inadequacies of the factory IC, even to handle the factory turbo system.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
Yes, originally, until I came on here and was almost shamed into thinking that not having >300 to the wheels was lame, I was only planning on a short shift kit, a Quaife or Wavetrac diff, better seats, an aftermarket steering wheel (which I just found out cannot be done without a full steering system conversion to either manual, or hydraulic due to the electric steering system's steering wheel sensors??) and a better set of summer and winter wheels/tires, and THAT'S IT.

NO 'power mods' at all, and maybe eventually some (GOOD, not just to lower the car) coil overs, and a CBE for just a little more sound, as I was unaware of the inadequacies of the factory IC, even to handle the factory turbo system.
At the end of the day it is your car and you make it how you want it, not to gain popularity online. You will be much happier that way :) If I wanted likes on Instagram, I would need 10" wheels with P185 rubber, 10' negative camber, .25" ground clearance, plastidipped random bits, and my savings account dumped into the engine. No thanks, that isn't what I want to do with my car. My modifications aren't for everyone and that is ok, but I am very happy with my results. It takes time and maturity to come to that point.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
Are you still happy with the FSWerks exhaust? Seems to be the best option out there.
yes, for the price, it is a good system. The fit and finish could be a little better, but the cost delta to get that is more than I wanted to spend. The sound is great and there is no drone on the highway. It isn't very loud, but louder than stock. If the Cobb and Mountune ones are just out of reach in terms of pricing, then the FSWerks one is the way to go. I have heard a few other systems that are very loud and drone on the highway. I can't remember exactly which ones they were, but I was happier with the FSWerks one in comparison. As much as I would love my ST to sound like a WRC car, I would rather not need ear plugs when driving or piss off the neighbors. I already had a car like that. The FSWerks exhaust is just right in terms of price and sound.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
At the end of the day it is your car and you make it how you want it, not to gain popularity online. You will be much happier that way :) If I wanted likes on Instagram, I would need 10" wheels with P185 rubber, 10' negative camber, .25" ground clearance, plastidipped random bits, and my savings account dumped into the engine. No thanks, that isn't what I want to do with my car. My modifications aren't for everyone and that is ok, but I am very happy with my results. It takes time and maturity to come to that point.
Could not agree more!! [twothumb]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As much as I would love my ST to sound like a WRC car, I would rather not need ear plugs when driving or piss off the neighbors.
Speaking of which; I was wonder IF Chris Tullet (the fabricator who supposedly supplies the factory team with their exhaust systems) would/could sell us an actual R5 car team exhaust system, or at least a CBE version of it, or does the WRC spec, catted downpipe end in a totally different location than the stock factory downpipe?? [dunno]

Just curious, not that I'd ever spend the coin, nor tolerate the noise (my hearing loss, and LOUD tinnitus is way too great already [wink]).

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
Speaking of which; I was wonder IF Chris Tullet (the fabricator who supposedly supplies the factory team with their exhaust systems) would/could sell us an actual R5 car team exhaust system, or at least a CBE version of it, or does the WRC spec, catted downpipe end in a totally different location than the stock factory downpipe?? [dunno]

Just curious, not that I'd ever spend the coin, nor tolerate the noise (my hearing loss, and LOUD tinnitus is way too great already [wink]).
I would guess the connection to the downpipe is in a different spot, plus it is designed to work around the AWD system and chassis modifications. Competition systems tend to be very lightweight and hand built, meaning expect a bill that would be ungodly expensive. The R5 exhaust would be sized to work for that particular application, which is not going to be anything close to what you can produce on the street. There are plenty of really nice cat back exhausts that are designed to work with mildly modified street cars.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I would guess the connection to the downpipe is in a different spot, plus it is designed to work around the AWD system and chassis modifications. Competition systems tend to be very lightweight and hand built, meaning expect a bill that would be ungodly expensive. The R5 exhaust would be sized to work for that particular application, which is not going to be anything close to what you can produce on the street. There are plenty of really nice cat back exhausts that are designed to work with mildly modified street cars.
Yes, I know, just curious IF they would even sell it to a non customer car owner/team.

I think that when Richards was running the Pro Drive campaigned Scooby 555 Team, they did offer that exhaust system to the public, but I could be wrong on that.

If I want to save weight, I will buy the Tomei titanium system, IF it is ever released. ;)

Doesn't the Fiesta M-Sport Edition have a Chris Tullett exhaust? Obviously one meant for the road, not the same off of the R5/WRC spec.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Doesn't the Fiesta M-Sport Edition have a Chris Tullett exhaust? Obviously one meant for the road, not the same off of the R5/WRC spec.
YES, and that is where I got the name/source of the Ford WRT's exhaust systems. [wink]

It's cool that Mr. Wilson helps keep some of the local (to him in Cumbria?) motorsports 'cottage industries' in business with sub-contacts. [thumb]

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
You could get the MSport edition Fiesta ST exhaust, if they will even sell it to you, and have the tips extended to work with the NA model. The last time I spoke with MSport, very few of their ST parts were going to be sold outside the kit. I know the spoiler is available, but that is about it. I tried for the shift knob, but they said it was part of the package only. That might change as time goes on.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You could get the MSport edition Fiesta ST exhaust, if they will even sell it to you, and have the tips extended to work with the NA model. The last time I spoke with MSport, very few of their ST parts were going to be sold outside the kit. I know the spoiler is available, but that is about it. I tried for the shift knob, but they said it was part of the package only. That might change as time goes on.
Yeah, I figured that was the case, and now that I've been informed, I might even try for the spoiler, but I suspected that they would want to keep most of the 'bits' for the exclusive, limited run, special edition. [:(]

Hell, I'm still trying to get some M-Sport stickers, and swag/clothing from them!

One interesting decision I noticed was them going with the much maligned/critiqued on here (for their weight, and plain casting process) OZed Superturismo LMs for that special edition, vs. something much, much lighter, and flow formed/cast (which most of the un-sprung half gram of weight saving fanatics on here would choose).

But I guess this choice could be chalked up to OZed being one of the team's 'partners', and/or sponsors (and what's fitted on the actual team cars, of course)?

jeff

2000 Post Club
2 more thoughts:

1. I like your old mustang! Go Gen-X! Just started reading "Ready Player One"....80s ftw...

2. I have become interested in your decals such that I am in the process of designing my own. Similar but different. I plan to use graphite grey to mesh with the rest of my black/grey theme. As you pointed out there are a few nice curves where a decal might look really nice. I'm gonna experiment with a few designs. I see in your album there it looks like you had a very basic design at first (2 straight lines) and then went for the advanced (3 with the swoosh).

Anyhow thanks for the inspiration.

Ford Community Posts