Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Max oil temp read?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Easy question(maybe). What is the maximum(normal day) engine oil temp you have read?

Here is the reason, the MP215 Mtune unit has limits on which gauges. Oil temp is not one of them(boo). Where I want to run my gauges limits me to 1 1/2" (38mm)face size, and well that limits gauges you can find. I found many digital 37mm but meh, I like analog (call me old fashion). Now in truck and tractors I have used water temp gauges to monitor oil temp as they would rarely hit 260 but could the Fist go higher? Limit I have is about 280. Coolant temp I have seen max out @ 230 so from some quick math the oil should be around there maybe 20 more. This is not to determine if the car is over heating but to see if the car is up to temp before I request more out of it than I should (aka wot).

Siestarider

I have seen 260 oil and 245+ coolant on track in August of this year, ambient mid-90's and humidity same. My red dummy light for coolant comes on around 245, so I turn heater on and coolant drops to around 230 and oil 250 when I keep flogging. Both then drop fast on cool down lap. 215/230 into pits.

I am running maybe 75% water 25% antifreeze, stock cooling system, home made hood vents. Still thinking about adding a cheapie oil cooler behind radiator, cut out shroud where flaps are. Need to loose the stock oil cooler though, not sure what parts will enable this besides the expensive Mishi plate, and I also would prefer an analog oil temp and oil pressure set, so need a sandwich plate that offers those, Mishi does not. Guess I may have to drill and tap something with a thermostat.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I have seen 260 oil and 245+ coolant on track in August of this year, ambient mid-90's and humidity same. My red dummy light for coolant comes on around 245, so I turn heater on and coolant drops to around 230 and oil 250 when I keep flogging. Both then drop fast on cool down lap. 215/230 into pits.

I am running maybe 75% water 25% antifreeze, stock cooling system, home made hood vents. Still thinking about adding a cheapie oil cooler behind radiator, cut out shroud where flaps are. Need to loose the stock oil cooler though, not sure what parts will enable this besides the expensive Mishi plate, and I also would prefer an analog oil temp and oil pressure set, so need a sandwich plate that offers those, Mishi does not. Guess I may have to drill and tap something with a thermostat.
Limp mode around 250. Would love a good affordable oil cooler out here in SoCal. Average 230 in summer.
Not sure if this fits in your affordable category but came accros this when looking for parts to try to create an oil relocation kit. Right now working on the 90 degree ford racing option with a 1" sandwich plate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-13-row-...ash=item419a0964c8:g:mx8AAOSwyQtVshS0&vxp=mtr

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
In the middle of summer, stop and go traffic or highway speeds for a long time at 80+ mph

I see about 220-225. Normal everyday driving on a nice day it doesn't go much above 210

Siestarider

Not sure if this fits in your affordable category but came accros this when looking for parts to try to create an oil relocation kit. Right now working on the 90 degree ford racing option with a 1" sandwich plate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-13-row-...ash=item419a0964c8:g:mx8AAOSwyQtVshS0&vxp=mtr
Hell of a price. But where I want to locate cooler, thickness has to be less than 1.5" to clear A/C hoses. I found a couple that should fit, just need a thermostatic sandwich plate to replace stock oil cooler. I am assuming stock cooler covers a standard oil filter fitting, but anyone know for sure?

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Hell of a price. But where I want to locate cooler, thickness has to be less than 1.5" to clear A/C hoses. I found a couple that should fit, just need a thermostatic sandwich plate to replace stock oil cooler. I am assuming stock cooler covers a standard oil filter fitting, but anyone know for sure?
Did you check the mishimoto install video. Usually covers these things very well.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Nice find CG! [thumb]

Now yes, we just need something to work with that which has NPT taps in it for the oil temp and pressure senders. :)

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well then, it is about perfect, and much more reasonable competition for the Mishimoto kit. [twothumb] [:)]

If we could find the other (fitting our cars) parts readily enough, we probably could use the costly Setrab, Mocal, etc. stacked plate coolers, and STILL come in under the price of the Mishimoto kit!